Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Day Hike Camera Pack Recommendations  (Read 3060 times)

espressogeek

Day Hike Camera Pack Recommendations
« on: September 19, 2012, 06:14:11 pm »

I have a trip coming up in a few weeks that requires a day hike. I need to carry a few lenses, full frame body, tripod, ipod, food, and water. It would be adventageus if the pack could fit in an overhead compartment on a plane. I wanted to try the F-stop Loka but it looks like this pack , and the larger pack, are out of stock. Are there any other comfortable packs that are well suited for a day hike?

Thanks

Marco Papayanou

• Marcocyclo
Re: Day Hike Camera Pack Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 07:23:38 pm »

For a day hike, I am putting into a 30 liters backpack (Canadian made Arcteryx): food, water, clothes (windjacket, rain poncho, etc.) and Cokin Z filters’ case. Tripod strapped outside, wallet and tiny things into the top compartment. Every well known outdoor companies make such backpacks.

All the rest of photo equipment fits into a beltpack camera case (mine is a Lowepro Inverse 200 AW): full-frame camera and 3 lenses, filters, etc.

For the overhead compartment on a plane, just watch the maximum weight and size permitted, and if two luggages are permitted into the cabin.

Bon voyage ! ;)

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 08:32:40 pm »

Lots of manufacturers make fine day packs. Look at ClikElite or Gura Gear or Kata or some of the larger Lowepro daypacks. I went with F-stop primarily because it has a 62 L (liter) bag that can hold a fair amount of camping gear and food for multi-day trips. The medium shallow (non-gripped camera) insert is 11 L, the extra-large pro (gripped pro camera) is 25 L. If you aren't stashing a 15 degree sleeping bag, pad, tent, stove, pot, "10 essentials", clothing layers, it then becomes pretty simple to find bags.

espressogeek

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 10:32:05 am »

Thanks for the feedback. I had heard the f-stop bags were the best so I didn't know where to look. I ended up getting a Clik Escape for my dayhike. I'll let you all know how I dig it when I get a chance to try it out.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 02:23:03 pm »

F-stop bags are great, but pretty big (though they are carry-on approved).  I think the next best choices is to puy a good padded shoulder bag like a Think Tank Photo bag inside your favorite hiking pack.  This combo will be more flexible on trips, you will be able to try the pack on in the outfitters, and you will have other niceties like a hydration bladder sleeve. 
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 01:16:26 am »

I prefer to use an optimal trekking pack (I like Osprey packs) and put camera gear in it in infividual pouches.

Cheers,
Bernard

Colorado David

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 02:26:02 am »

I really like this pack:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lowepro-Pro-Trekker-400-AW-Camera-Backpack-Review.aspx

I've got a couple of Lowepro packs and a Tamarac.  This new Lowepro looks better than the older models.  My Tamarac pack is really very good for the equipment, but the harness systems is inadequate.  It's almost like the designed a bag and put straps on it as an afterthought.  I may have to buy this new Lowepro.

fike

• Hiker Photographer
    • trailpixie.net
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 09:56:48 am »

I've got a couple of Lowepro packs and a Tamarac.  This new Lowepro looks better than the older models.  My Tamarac pack is really very good for the equipment, but the harness systems is inadequate.  It's almost like the designed a bag and put straps on it as an afterthought.  I may have to buy this new Lowepro.

I think this is the case for most of the main-stream photo packs out there.  F-stop bags are much better in this regard, but Lowe Pro, Tamrac, MountainSmith and others all seem to have inadequate straps and harnesses.  It is as if they all create camera bags with the squareness of equipment slots in mind, but they forget that the human back isn't square.  Makes them very uncomfortable for the long hauls.
Fike, Trailpixie, or Marc Shaffer

happyman

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 03:50:23 pm »

I now use this and like it a lot because of its size and flexibility:

http://www.kata-bags.us/bumblebee-210-dl-for-dslr-2-3-lenses-flash-KTDL-B-210-B

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 08:36:13 pm »

I picked up one of the DSLR Video Fastpack 350 AW from Lowe Pro a few months ago and it works just fine. This bag comes in three sizes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up