Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: David Bailey shoots m43  (Read 4905 times)

OldRoy

• http://
David Bailey shoots m43
« on: September 15, 2012, 07:57:23 am »

I ran into David Bailey - yes, that one - yesterday in central London at the Camera Cafe in Museum Street*. We have some ancient, trivial, history. He was carrying a Panasonic GF3 with an external viewfinder and the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. I had the OMD with me with the identical lens mounted. He was extremely enthusiastic about the GF3 - and particularly on its focus speed, which surprised me a bit being used to the same lens on the Olympus camera and on cdf generally. He hadn't seen the OMD before and immediately assumed that it was a DSLR. When I let him try it with the same lens he was disdainful of the focus speed - and this was in summer daylight. So I mounted the Oly 45 1.8 which restored the OMD's credibility a bit.

I think it's interesting that a photographer of Bailey's status would be wandering about the West End with a GF3/20 1.7 dangling off his neck when every tourist you see that isn't using a cellphone camera or a compact seems to be lugging a DSLR around these days.

He was also very dismissive of Leica, having tried all the digital bodies. And he remarked to one of his assistants, who was interested in some Nikon zooms, that he'd "never used a zoom in his life."

Roy
*Recommended for a visit if you're near the British Museum - excellent noodles and an interesting selection of used pro hardware.

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
Re: David Bailey shoots m43
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:03:35 am »

Pardon my ignorance, but how did he attach the viewfinder? I was under the impression that the GF3 has neither a hot shoe nor the port to attach an EVF.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 12:02:15 pm »

I ran into David Bailey - yes, that one - yesterday in central London at the Camera Cafe in Museum Street*. We have some ancient, trivial, history. He was carrying a Panasonic GF3 with an external viewfinder and the Panasonic 20mm 1.7. I had the OMD with me with the identical lens mounted. He was extremely enthusiastic about the GF3 - and particularly on its focus speed, which surprised me a bit being used to the same lens on the Olympus camera and on cdf generally. He hadn't seen the OMD before and immediately assumed that it was a DSLR. When I let him try it with the same lens he was disdainful of the focus speed - and this was in summer daylight. So I mounted the Oly 45 1.8 which restored the OMD's credibility a bit.

I think it's interesting that a photographer of Bailey's status would be wandering about the West End with a GF3/20 1.7 dangling off his neck when every tourist you see that isn't using a cellphone camera or a compact seems to be lugging a DSLR around these days.

He was also very dismissive of Leica, having tried all the digital bodies. And he remarked to one of his assistants, who was interested in some Nikon zooms, that he'd "never used a zoom in his life."Roy
*Recommended for a visit if you're near the British Museum - excellent noodles and an interesting selection of used pro hardware.

At last, I feel vindicated!

As you might know since I've mentioned it here once or twice, my single experience of a zoom, the 2.8/24-70 G Nikkor was a disaster.

Maybe it's a generation thing...

Rob C
« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 06:08:41 pm by Rob C »

MrSmith

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 03:00:06 pm »

don't be surprised that he uses micro 4/3 cameras after you are paid several thousand a year for 20odd years just to be associated with a brand and get given the stuff for free
the association with Olympus has obviously stopped since I last worked with them and had to photograph DB at product launches, he always used to pull a stony face as soon as I lifted the camera to my eye to shoot him with big wigs and competition winners  >:(
He's possibly moved to Panasonic so as not to be seen with an Olympus.
If his 'assistant' had dark hair it may have been his son.

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 07:06:21 am »

Rob C,
you got a dud!
Get over it!'
W
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 02:02:50 pm »

Rob C,
you got a dud!
Get over it!'
W

Every time that I think that I have, that it's but a distant bad dream, something comes along to hit me in the face with it again.

I have no idea if mine was a bad copy or not; all I know is that I know nobody, personally, whose work I admire, that uses zooms professionally. But then that's just me. Also, why would I go through all the crap of ordering another one only, perhaps, to find exactly the same problems? Mallorca isn't a place where you can keep buying new lenses, try them out, and return them with a smile if they suck. In my case, I ended up having to buy another lens altogether just to get the dealer to look at my situation and allow me to get rid of that zoom. Also, the physical size of that zoom makes it anything but pleasant to carry around. In a way, I'm glad that I had valid reasons for getting shot of it.

But I'll try to remember not to mention it again.

;-)

Rob C

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 01:19:19 am »

Rob,
I'm not a fan of zooms either,however they are so handy,if you want to work quick.
I indeed have a 24-70 and it does the job.
It sucks at 24 ,however after the ACR correction it's good enough.
I seem to mainly use it between 35-60 range and no problems there.
Happy shooting,
W
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

meyerweb

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 11:56:28 pm »

Just because someone's a famous pro doesn't mean they don't have their own prejudices.

I think the real key to this story though is that talent and vision is far more important than hardware. Bailiy will make better photos with his little GF3 than I'm likely to with the latest Nikon, Canon, Leica or 'blad.

But the GF series cameras don't take an EVF. Maybe it was a GX1, or an accessory OVF?

NickyTaylorphoto

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 11:32:45 am »

Great little cafe Used to pop in there all the time when i was in london.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 11:51:11 am »

But the GF series cameras don't take an EVF. Maybe it was a GX1, or an accessory OVF?

Well the GF1 did, and so did the GF2 because I have them here.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up