Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom PMP Scanner Profile Appears in CS5, Not ColorSync?  (Read 3273 times)

mcmorrison

Custom PMP Scanner Profile Appears in CS5, Not ColorSync?
« on: September 11, 2012, 01:27:17 pm »

I have created a custom profile for my V750 scanner, and have successfully used CS5 to assign it to my scans. As part of updating my workflow, I would like to use either Preview, or other ColorSync oriented applications to assign the profile to my scans before editing in LR4, but find that it does not show up. The profiles do show up in the ColorSync Utility.

Does anyone have an insight into why this (see attached file) profile can't be "used" in ColorSync applications? (I have also tried to assign the profile using Pixelmator, also with no success).

Thanks!

Michael Morrison

Scott Martin

• Onsight
Re: Custom PMP Scanner Profile Appears in CS5, Not ColorSync?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 02:43:40 pm »

Hey Michael! If you're using Epson Scan you can do this in the preferences. Even better, Epson Scan will convert it to the working space which is important as editing in a device space can lead to wacky, unwanted things. At best, you'd want to use a Photoshop Droplet or Script to assign the scanner profile *and* convert to the working space.

FWIW, I've found the Colorchecker SG produces the best scanner profiles. I don't know why your scanner profiles aren't showing up though - you've tried v2 and v4 and they are placed in the colorsync profiles folder?
Scott Martin
www.on-sight.com

mcmorrison

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 08:40:42 pm »

Hello Scott!

Thanks for your thoughts!

My workflow is to scan to "raw" in VueScan, assign the profile, and then edit in LR4 without converting the profile. This, I figure, leaves me with the original scan data and does the least destruction (none!). LR4 seems to handle the device space profile and edit very well. When done, I render into the appropriate space.

I used the CCSG as the target, and scanned it with the same raw (VueScan) workflow. I made the profile in PMP5. Today I tried version 4 (I had used version 2), and also made one with "large" profile size, and one with "default". I am getting the same result: the profile shows up in ColorSync Utility, but not in Preview.

I haven't used Epson Scan since, at least when I tested it out a few years ago, I couldn't get a reliable raw scan. I also remember not being able to lock the software down to a "wide open" state, which is what I do with VueScan. Maybe it's better now?

Any further thoughts?

Thanks again!

Michael

LenR

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 11:50:01 am »

Michael,

NOTE: the following and 25 cents will get you a 25 cent soda.

Your scanner profile is what your scan data passes thru to your working space. 
You should set up scan sw with the scanner profile AND working space profile (it needs each).
The image you are seeing in your scanning software is (should be) in your specified working space.
Once scanned the file should be in your working space as you "work" with it in LR or PS. 
For example I scan to 8bit tiffs so my scans are  Adobe1998. 
If you are scanning a higher bit depth (you mentioned "raw") then you might choose Prophoto.   

Just saying.
Pages: [1]   Go Up