Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss 55mm 1.4 Distagon  (Read 49142 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Zeiss 55mm 1.4 Distagon
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 02:55:48 pm »

Hi,

Why not? Just because Oscar Barnack invented 35, should that format live forever? The way I see it APS-C is quite competitive. Michael Reichmann seems to use APS-C a lot and Micro 4/3 a lot. So, Jack Dykinga switched from 4x5" film to D800, Tim Ashely switched from IQ 180 to D800E. Michael Reichmann doesn't use his Alpha 900 any more but shoots a lot of Micro 4/3.

There is little reason for fixed formats, now that we don't have film.

The P&S market is by and large taken by phone cameras, and I saw more folks shooting iPads in Yellowstone and Grand Teton than folks shooting MFDs.

Are DSLRs doomed? In the long run, I think so. The question is how long the run is

Best regards
Erik

Kyochera Kyocera also left the 35mm and P&S markets so following the same logic these markets are also doomed....better flog your DSLR, quick...
Erik Kaffehr

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 03:03:04 pm »

The P&S market is by and large taken by phone cameras
Yes Nikon have just announced 7 new P&S's....
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 03:20:04 pm »

Yes,

I was thinking about that. And I have seen a lot of PS&S cameras in the national parks. But I pretty much think that PS&S are going upscale.

But lets look at DSLRs...

The pro DSLRs were then D3 and D1xxx series. Nowdays many photographers use D800/D800E, 5DIII because they are good enough and in part because of lesser weight. Sports shooters and concert photographers probably will use DSLRs for a long time. For landscape and portrait other solutions may show up.

Now, SLRs have been around since the 1930-es, I think. It's a well developed and proven concept. But the reason for the mirror is just to show a "what you see is what you get" image. An EVF is doing just that, and they have just been around a few years.

Best regards
Erik

Yes Nikon have just announced 7 new P&S's....
Erik Kaffehr

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 03:34:59 pm »

Also current high end Nikon and Canon have HSS that can sync to 1/8000th.
Add to that the arrival of strobes that have advanced HSS support leaf shutters are looking
slow and old tech. Reliability is also an issue with phase one / mamiya leaf shutters.

That is your opinion.  And very bad advice to give to professional photographer.  Who must get the shot every-time.  The best way to freeze action is with a leaf shutter lens and a bi-tube strobe. The  (LS Schneider Lenses with V-grip on a phase one body) leaf shutter allows you to shoot at 1/1600.  A bi-tube combined with a short duration power pack such as a Broncolor, Einstein pack or a Profoto 8 and you will have consistent power.  Not to mention the ability to use a large modifer such as a Profoto 8" giant.

In regards to Phase one / Mamiya leaf shutter reliability useless you have spoken to the vast amount of MFDB owners out there how can you know? I have never received a questionnaire or survey. Where is the empirical data?  Why do professional rental houses through-out the country stock Phase one digital backs?    

Furthermore.   You talk game.  But you never show any of your own photos taken with 1/8000 flash sync.  What is your website address. I would like to see what type photography you do.

Thank you,
Jeffery

« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 06:02:17 pm by Jeffery Salter »
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

Rob C

« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 04:05:10 pm »

[quote author=Stefan.Steib link=topic=70406.msg594914#msg594914 date=135945302

It also has technical advantages, you can
use a much better mechanical focusing if this does not have to be coupled with AF.

Regards
Stefan
[/quote]

I wondered why I didn't share the focussing problems with my D200 and D700, using manual Nikkors, that others seem to report using, I presume, af lenses. Of course, that's not taking into account my later problems with my own eyesight, hardly the fault of Nikon!

Frankly, I always like focussing manually and my single af lens - a 2.8/180 - is also focussed by hand, but feels a bit less precise in the mechanics.

Rob C

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 04:07:52 pm »

Hi,

It is my understanding that the advantage of the leaf shutter is that it can pass the full output of the flash in the time the shutter is open. With FP flash the flash duration must be longer than focal shutter travel time. So with short shutter speed a significant part of the flash exposure will be lost.

I thought the discussion was about Distagon 1.4 ;-)

Best regards
Erik

That is your opinion.  And very bad advice to give to professional photographer.  Who must get the shot every-time.  The best way to freeze action is with a leaf shutter lens and a bi-tube strobe.

In regards to Phase one / Mamiya leaf shutter reliability useless you have spoken to the vast amount of MFDB owners out there how can you know? I have never received a questionnaire or survey. Where is the empirical data?  Why do professional rental houses through-out the country stock Phase one digital backs?    

Furthermore.   You talk game.  But you never show any of your own photos taken with 1/8000 flash sync.  What is your website address. I would like to see what type photography you do.

Thank you,
Jeffery
Erik Kaffehr

Jeffery Salter

• Loving life one frame at a time.
    • Jeffery Salter
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 04:28:08 pm »

Sorry for going off topic.  

A short flash duration is used to freeze action. A bi-tube strobe or flashhead allows you connect two power packs for maximum power.  The leaf shutter opens to capture the strobe when it reaches its peak flash intensity.  

Thank you,
Jeffery
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:52:27 pm by Jeffery Salter »
Warmest regards,
Jeffery Salter
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________
Jeffery Salter
Miami, Fl. U.S.A.
photos:  www.jefferysalter.com
Blog: http://blog.jefferysalter.com/
Instagram: @jefferysalter

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 05:28:12 pm »

Back OT: I've been wondering, if this new Zeiss is so pro-high-quality, why don't they make it weather sealed?
If not for practical reasons, surely they could benefit marketing wise because for example landscape photographers will be interested in this high res lens (or a wide angle version in this new range) and they'd be wanting some protection from the elements.

FredBGG

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 09:38:07 pm »

That is your opinion.  And very bad advice to give to professional photographer.  Who must get the shot every-time.  The best way to freeze action is with a leaf shutter lens and a bi-tube strobe. The  (LS Schneider Lenses with V-grip on a phase one body) leaf shutter allows you to shoot at 1/1600.  A bi-tube combined with a short duration power pack such as a Broncolor, Einstein pack or a Profoto 8 and you will have consistent power.  Not to mention the ability to use a large modifer such as a Profoto 8" giant.

Jeffery

While the V-grip is nice, It's not required for shooting flash sync at 1/1600th. A simple flash sync cable will work.

There was an earlier thread regarding High Speed flash sync and alternatives to the Phase One LS method.

Consistent and reliable results are possible using FP mode. Just requires a little more technique.

I use the Elinchrome 6,000 and 3,000 packs as well as their twin tube heads, in particular the overlapping twin tube
that produces cleaner light when used direct or through fresnel lens modifiers. Overlapping tubes produce a single light source
compared to side by side twin tube heads. They work well in the 6ft octa as well as the SL35 large fresnel spot.

This was shot with the Fresnel SL35.

Anyway here is a thread that goes into more detail on the subject of high speed flash sync.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=71679.0

Plenty of examples there.

peterv

• facebook
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2013, 06:29:31 am »

Zeiss have some new info about this lens on their blog:

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=3307

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2013, 08:49:32 am »

Zeiss have some new info about this lens on their blog:

http://blogs.zeiss.com/photo/en/?p=3307

I m almost becoming impatient! :)

Now, obviously, MF lenses at f1.4 on a D800e are probably impossile to focus accurately in many of the applications where you would benefit from this lns qualities...

Chances are that a 50mm AF-S f1.4 will end up delivering sharper real world results thanks to AF.

Cheers,
Bernard

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #71 on: February 15, 2013, 08:52:57 am »

Bernard,

Don't you think live view MF works?

Best regards
Erik

I m almost becoming impatient! :)

Now, obviously, MF lenses at f1.4 on a D800e are probably impossile to focus accurately in many of the applications where you would benefit from this lns qualities...

Chances are that a 50mm AF-S f1.4 will end up delivering sharper real world results thanks to AF.

Cheers,
Bernard

Erik Kaffehr

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2013, 01:59:12 am »

Bernard,

Don't you think live view MF works?

Not hand held at 1.4 on anything but perfectly static subjects.

Cheers,
Bernard

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2013, 02:48:07 pm »

Yes, shooting at f1.4 manual focus does have a few challengers.

But one benefit of the 55mm is that it will be very high contrast and well corrected at f1.4 than compared to the Zeiss 35mm f1.4 which is difficult to focus due to high LOCA.

henrikfoto

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2013, 05:23:55 pm »

Why don't Zeiss make these new lenses with af?

Henrik

Chris Livsey

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2013, 03:48:20 am »

Henrik

Patents ?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2013, 10:29:53 am »

Hi,

Sigma, Tokina and Tamron make AF-lenses. I think that Zeiss is more in optics then AF-mecatronics.

Also, I guess that both the customers and the lenses are a bit MF oriented. Optimal focus is best achieved by live view, I think.

Sony's Zeiss lenses are AF but they have slightly different optical construction and they are built by Sony.

Best regards
Erik

Patents ?

Erik Kaffehr

henrikfoto

« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2013, 03:24:13 pm »

I agree live focus is perfect for static objects, but eith the new sensors now MF is getting less interesting for
most people. I know can make very nice AF (Sinaron AF). Hope they will make AF for some of the coming
high quality lenses.

MoreOrLess

« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2013, 05:43:41 am »

Henrik

I can understand it with the existing lenses, there expensive but not THAT expensive, add in AF aswell and I'm guessing you increase the size and cost a significant amount. Seems to me most Zeiss users are likely to shoot static subjects anyway so by upping the price you might reduce the market.

The new 55mm 1.4 seems a bit more questionable to me, its not nearly as competitive when it comes to price or indeed size so would adding a little more to both increase the market?

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2013, 07:23:19 am »

Personally, I look forward to the release of this lens and real-world testing. The lab shots are encouraging, but I want to see something outside a controlled atmosphere.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up