Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2011 Macbook Pro 13" calibration problem.  (Read 5568 times)

Luby

2011 Macbook Pro 13" calibration problem.
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:51:45 pm »

I'm in the process of moving from US to Europe and for now I'm stuck with Macbook Pro 13". I tried to calibrate it with i1Display PRO and results are horrible. I played between Generic and White-LED backlight since I have no idea what kind of LED backlight is there. I now for sure it's not CCFL or wide gamut. I also set 120cd/m2 65K and gamma 2.2 In beginning colors were completely washed out almost like when you set contrast to extreme. After third attempt colors were better but blacks had red cast, after fourth attempt blacks had green cast. Each time quality check failed with dE like 50. I set ADC to ON but software asked me to set brightness manually every other attempt. WTH? Any ideas?
Any suggestion to my workflow?

Luby

Re: 2011 Macbook Pro 13" calibration problem.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 06:58:52 pm »

One more thing. Should I use version 2 or 4 for ICC profile?

benmar

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:43:50 am »

The answer seen most around here is to stick with the version 2 profiles. Hope that helps!

benmar

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:49:11 am »

Also, I don't use ADC, choosing to set the luminance manually.

mac_paolo

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:51:28 am »

I'm in the process of moving from US to Europe and for now I'm stuck with Macbook Pro 13". I tried to calibrate it with i1Display PRO and results are horrible. I played between Generic and White-LED backlight since I have no idea what kind of LED backlight is there. I now for sure it's not CCFL or wide gamut. I also set 120cd/m2 65K and gamma 2.2 In beginning colors were completely washed out almost like when you set contrast to extreme. After third attempt colors were better but blacks had red cast, after fourth attempt blacks had green cast. Each time quality check failed with dE like 50. I set ADC to ON but software asked me to set brightness manually every other attempt. WTH? Any ideas?
Any suggestion to my workflow?
I own the same colorimeter and a 15" MBP.
You have to choose White-LED display and ICC version 2. The rest it's up to you.
I strongly recommend matrix (curves) over table (LUT). I set the Brightness on 100 CD/m^2 to better match my printing environment. The D65 white point is fine.
If you leave ADC, i1Profiler shouldn't ask you to set the lamp level. Remember to turn auto-brightness of from System Preferences.
Reboot the system before taking other attempts. You really want to start from fresh. LED panels don't need to stay lit for period of time.

mac_paolo

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:52:42 am »

Also, I don't use ADC, choosing to set the luminance manually.
ADC means the software is going to automatically set to brightness you set manually in the previous screen.
Definitely leave it on when you can. :)

benmar

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:30:27 am »

I understand that features like ADC are handy, but if the OP is having difficulties/erratic color management behavior I thought switching ADC off might be helpful - in case ADC and his system/display are not working properly together.  :)

mac_paolo

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 11:38:19 am »

I understand that features like ADC are handy, but if the OP is having difficulties/erratic color management behavior I thought switching ADC off might be helpful - in case ADC and his system/display are not working properly together.  :)
You wrote you don't use it, no reference to the OP.
I still think that in this case (display of a Mac laptop), it's definitely better to let the software adjust the screen, especially is you need a specific value, or a match with other displays, or both (as for my case).
Just my 2 cents.

Luby

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 09:49:49 am »

Thanks for all replays. I found my problem. It was light reflecting in glossy screen. I moved to my editing area (no windows, only overhead light source) and everything worked fine. I did it few times to check accuracy but profile was identical each time. Only disappointment was rather high dE. I'm used to NEC PA screens and this little 13"TN drives me crazy ;-)

mac_paolo

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 03:08:27 am »

Thanks for all replays. I found my problem. It was light reflecting in glossy screen. I moved to my editing area (no windows, only overhead light source) and everything worked fine. I did it few times to check accuracy but profile was identical each time. Only disappointment was rather high dE. I'm used to NEC PA screens and this little 13"TN drives me crazy ;-)
Difference is night and day versus a consumer-ish Dell U2711, which is very good. Non retina MBP against NEC panels is unfair! :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up