Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Thanks for the DP2M review!  (Read 19402 times)

BarbaraArmstrong

Thanks for the DP2M review!
« on: September 03, 2012, 06:02:23 pm »

Michael, many thanks for the Sigma DP2M review!  I'm particularly pleased to note that you've recovered to the point of being able to do the testing/comparisons and writing, so as to post this review for the rest of us.  I've been enjoying my DP2M for the past week, but had no idea how well it would hold up in the particular comparisons you made.  The biggest problem I have with the Sigmas is the SLOW write times.  You really have to be careful not to turn the camera off while it is laboriously getting the information to the card.  But I do enjoy the results.  You rather strongly suggested there's been a firmware change from the SD1 to the SD1Merrill.  I purchased the SD1 when they reduced the price, especially to work with infrared (but I have even more enjoyed using it for color).  Sigma stated that the two cameras would be identical except for the Merrill name on the front.  Now I'm wondering.  Perhaps a firmware update would be available.  At any rate, I've enjoyed seeing and benefiting from the progress Sigma has been making with the Foveon sensor.  Again, many thanks for your continuing efforts to inform and enlighten us all.  --Barbara

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Thanks for the DP2M review!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 01:30:36 am »

Michael,

Thanks for a toughtful and trough review. Nice to have you back, and hopefully the bad times are soon behind and the good times still ahead!

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 02:11:27 am »

Michael,

Thanks for a toughtful and trough review. Nice to have you back, and hopefully the bad times are soon behind and the good times still ahead!

Best regards
Erik

+1
David Watson ARPS

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 05:07:39 am »

Michael,

Best regards
Erik

+2

Fips

• some unrelated photos on flickr
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 05:08:44 am »

+3  :D

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2012, 05:49:27 am »

Michael,

Thanks for a thoughtful and trough review. Nice to have you back, and hopefully the bad times are soon behind and the good times still ahead!

Best regards
Erik

Seconded.

Michael's findings are very much in line with my own mini review. 

So, one might ask, where do Sigma go from here with Foveon?   30mp x 3?   
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

hubell

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 09:53:48 am »

Great to see you back, Michael.
A very intriguing review. It is usually very difficult to see significant differences on the web between digital cameras that have roughly comparable pixel counts. What is quite striking about the Sigma files is they seem to have a remarkable, three dimensional quality to them. The other files seem flat and "compressed" by comparison. I wonder if this shows up in prints. It makes me also wonder why the Foveon technology has not been licensed by the major players like Canon, Nikon, Sony, etc. You would think the Foveon technology would be worth a lot more to Sigma if it could piggyback on someone like Canon that knows a lot more about how to make and market excellent cameras. Is there any technical reason why a Foveon sensor could not be scaled up to 35mm full frame or even larger?

bernhardAS

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2012, 10:26:27 am »

This is a bit off topic but in addition to Michael's general thoughts about the Foveon and the market position of the cameras.

I am one of these persons who likes to try different components to get different results. In the film days I had a collection of nearly all of the available BW and slide films at hand. Today I have a small collections of new and old and obscure lenses and few Cameras including Fujis. (I am a Nikon shooter.)

Would I buy a Sigma SD1 Merrill with a Nikon mount? In a pinch as the last two lenses I bought and the next two I will actually cost more.  I would love to use it in well lit situations like a slow film in the old days. Will I buy one with Sigma Mount? No. That would be foolish for me as I do have a Budget after all and I know that I would not be able to limit myself to two or three lenses.

Sigma is without doubt capable to build a Nikon Bayonet to specification. I strongly believe that offering the SD1 with all mounts of major players would be a winning move. However I rate the probability that that will happen as zero based on past observation of corporate reality.  

A Camera like the DP2 M might rather be the answer for me.

Thanks for the review and further speedy recovery Michael.

michael

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 10:39:12 am »

I know that Sigma says that there hasn't been a firmware change, but I see a definite difference between the results I got last year with the SD1 and now with the DP2M.

Last year I couldn't get properly balanced hues with some colours. Now, that problem is much less of an issue.

Michael

Thanks for everyones kind words regarding my recovery. I feel stronger every day, though that may change as this week I begin a 12 week period of chemotherapy. This effects everyone differently, so we'll see how it goes.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 02:27:09 pm »

I know that Sigma says that there hasn't been a firmware change, but I see a definite difference between the results I got last year with the SD1 and now with the DP2M.

Last year I couldn't get properly balanced hues with some colours. Now, that problem is much less of an issue.

Michael

Thanks for everyones kind words regarding my recovery. I feel stronger every day, though that may change as this week I begin a 12 week period of chemotherapy. This effects everyone differently, so we'll see how it goes.

Our thoughts are with you Michael - Best wishes from your supporters in the UK
David Watson ARPS

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 02:30:31 pm »

Michael, we are all rooting for you.  Without ever meeting, you have come into our lives, greatly enriching them.  Luminous-Landscape has been indispensable to my development as a photographer and printer, a source of immense pleasure.  Our very best wishes are with you as you continue your treatment.  And it looks like you have a nice trip to Australia lined up!!  All the best, Barbara

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 02:34:18 pm »

Barbara puts it well, I feel the same!

Best regards
Erik

Michael, we are all rooting for you.  Without ever meeting, you have come into our lives, greatly enriching them.  Luminous-Landscape has been indispensable to my development as a photographer and printer, a source of immense pleasure.  Our very best wishes are with you as you continue your treatment.  And it looks like you have a nice trip to Australia lined up!!  All the best, Barbara
Erik Kaffehr

BarbaraArmstrong

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2012, 03:24:39 pm »

Michael, thanks in particular for your response to my inquiry about the firmware on the DP2M, compared with the SD1.  I'll have to try comparing some files; I've only recently moved the SD1 out of infrared mode.  And again, wishing you the very best through the next few months of treatment.  --Barbara

KirbyKrieger

• Kirby Krieger Pictures
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2012, 04:21:23 pm »

I strongly believe that offering the SD1 with all mounts of major players would be a winning move.

I'd buy an SD2 with a Sony mount _yesterday_.

(Sony's what I got.  When I started using cameras, Sony provided far and away the highest IQ/$.  Just 'splainin' -- no need to debate that here.)

MR:  Best wishes on continued good health!

dreed

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2012, 05:58:51 am »

So, one might ask, where do Sigma go from here with Foveon?   30mp x 3?   

I think that the best thing that they could do would be to stop pretending that they can build cameras and become the OEM of the sensor for Panasonic (and maybe others.)

E.g. put the Foveon sensor inside an LX series camera, etc.

To Michael, I wish you all the best in your journey ahead.

cmi

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2012, 11:29:18 am »

A joy to read, as always.

GeoffM

• http://
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2012, 03:34:53 pm »

Michael, thanks for the review. The DP2M does look intriguing, but as a D800E owner is there anything there for me?

Do you see the Sigma as a camera you carry when you don't want the bulk of the D800, or is the "Foveon look" something that simply can't be duplicated even with lots of pixels and high-quality glass?

Thanks,

Geoff

michael

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2012, 07:16:44 pm »

Hard to say. The 800 is king of the hill at the moment, but due to its weight and bulk it is only used from the car or on a deliberate shoot. But if I find myself heading somewhere with photo possibilities it's now the DP2M that in my jacket pocket.

Michael

rftobler

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2012, 08:05:45 am »

Michael, many thanks for the Sigma DP2M review!  I'm particularly pleased to note that you've recovered to the point of being able to do the testing/comparisons and writing, so as to post this review for the rest of us.
+1

Hello Michael!

I have been a reader of your site for some time now, and always enjoy your reviews, but this is my first message on your forum.

The comparisons of the DP2M with other cameras were very interesting, however, I have a (very small) niggle: the Sigma comparison image with the Leica (SDI0061.tif) seems to suffer from camera shake (the vertical edges of the 'H' are sharp, the horizontal egdes are blurry). If you want to show, what the DP2M is capable of in comparison to the Leica, you might want to use a different image.

Nevertheless thanks, and I wish you good luck with your chemo.
Greetings,
-- Robert

MrScott

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2012, 03:19:07 pm »

But if I find myself heading somewhere with photo possibilities it's now the DP2M that in my jacket pocket.
I also would like to say thank you very much for your refreshing impressions of the Sigma DP2M. My jacket pocket is still looking for a digital camera that will replace my analog dinosaur Olympus XA and the Sigma seems to be the right candidate (except $$$).

Best wishes
Marc

P.S. I'll keep all fingers crossed that the chemotherapy will work well for you. We will see us at Photokina 2014.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up