Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Links to Photographers  (Read 86360 times)

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Rob C

Re: Links to Photographers
« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2014, 04:04:30 am »

Wow! That man knows (knew?) how to light a face. But what really struck me is his sense of location and fashion - he made those clothes actually belong somewhere other than a rack. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to dig deeper.

By the way, that link you posted must truly be a Guinness Record! I'm a geek so I'll point out the numerous sub-links hidden in that main link - like a fingerprint. Links, the future milestones of history.

No, Hans Feurer, is still very active!

I'm glad you enjoyed the link - makes the act of passing it along worth the effort.

http://www.demarchelier.net/home.html

This is a link to a Frenchman in New York (that sings more like a movie, that an appellation!) who has known more than his share of great images and related success.

Oddly, or perhaps not really oddly at all, his Pirelli left me more than disappointed; it's a calendar that seems to have brought out the best and also the worst in different photographers: some rise to the occasion where others seem to get mired down in doubt - or perhaps too much external direction/pressures?

Rob C

« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 09:43:05 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #203 on: February 28, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »

The best I could find from a prompt from a friend:

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2014, 03:47:50 pm »

Another link I've posted back in the day, but the interesting thing - apart from exemplary images - lies in the fact that the photographer has both film and, now, digital Leica history.

You'll probably enjoy this stuff - I certainly did, then and now.

http://www.pascalmeunier.com/portfolio_en.php

Rob C

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #205 on: March 01, 2014, 07:08:02 am »

No, Hans Feurer, is still very active!

I'm glad you enjoyed the link - makes the act of passing it along worth the effort.

Absolutely worth the time. There are already five 'gems' I've found in the last few weeks that I didn't know existed before. Definitely inspiring.

http://www.demarchelier.net/home.html

This is a link to a Frenchman in New York (that sings more like a movie, that an appellation!) who has known more than his share of great images and related success.

Oddly, or perhaps not really oddly at all, his Pirelli left me more than disappointed; it's a calendar that seems to have brought out the best and also the worst in different photographers: some rise to the occasion where others seem to get mired down in doubt - or perhaps too much external direction/pressures?

Rob C

This guy (Is he in the VIP section of the who's who of the upper echelons of the fashion photography world?), amazing as his work is, leaves me cold. It struck me as the same as nice 'money-earning' wedding photography, but with better models, locations and an art director to play with. But what a career.

Let me put it this way: He's got the best models and actresses on his site, and I don't want to go back to revisit his photographs. Whoever his audience is, it's not me; though I'm sure my wife could spend a couple of hours admiring the Louis Vuitton bags strewn on the side-walk.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #206 on: March 01, 2014, 07:17:08 am »

The best I could find from a prompt from a friend:

Rob C

Simply brilliant! My fifth gem.

"Blumenfeld referred to art directors as a*se directors..."

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #207 on: March 01, 2014, 07:24:04 am »

Another link I've posted back in the day, but the interesting thing - apart from exemplary images - lies in the fact that the photographer has both film and, now, digital Leica history.

You'll probably enjoy this stuff - I certainly did, then and now.

http://www.pascalmeunier.com/portfolio_en.php

Rob C

My least favorite! Maybe it's because some of the places he's photographed are those I have intimate knowledge of, and they look like snapshots anybody can take with an iphone - and then bump up the saturation in Photoshop. I'll stop here because I don't want to spoil it for the others.

Rob C

« Reply #208 on: March 01, 2014, 09:59:07 am »

I'm wondering about the contrast; as much of the material is old and from film, I wonder if it's actually the effect of the inability to expose for shadows without killing highlights?

In an article about another 'hero', Pete Turner,

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Video-Library/video/Professional-Imaging/Pete-Turner-Empowered-by-Color/950747299001

Turner mentions the way he used to copy original transparencies several times, a process which inevitably bumps up contrast; I wonder if being a PJ, this other guy had to do much the same (copy) in order to distribute his material to different agencies... who knows.

Demarchelier. Très VIP! He was put on a multi-million dollar contract with American Vogue - probably an inclusive for all Condé Nast titles - several years ago; I think of him as very elegant, especially in black/white, whereas Feurer I see as a great camera stylist - stylist in a way that I love. Could I be either, photographically speaking, I think I'd like to be Feurer.

Rob C

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #209 on: March 04, 2014, 04:29:32 am »

I'm wondering about the contrast; as much of the material is old and from film, I wonder if it's actually the effect of the inability to expose for shadows without killing highlights?

In an article about another 'hero', Pete Turner,

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/Video-Library/video/Professional-Imaging/Pete-Turner-Empowered-by-Color/950747299001

Turner mentions the way he used to copy original transparencies several times, a process which inevitably bumps up contrast; I wonder if being a PJ, this other guy had to do much the same (copy) in order to distribute his material to different agencies... who knows.

Beautiful use of color. Some terrific shots of Africa...and everything else. Official gallery (http://www.peteturner.com/).

Here's one I found, contemporary to Stieglitz: http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?artistFilterInitial=&criteria=O%3AAD%3AE%3A6338&page_number=1&template_id=SS&sort_order=1

From Wikipedia:
White's photographs were not casually posed; he carefully controlled every detail in his scenes, sometimes even having special costumes created for his models.

Like they say, there's nothing new under the sun.

Rob C

« Reply #210 on: March 04, 2014, 05:13:58 am »

Here's one I found, contemporary to Stieglitz: http://www.moma.org/collection/browse_results.php?artistFilterInitial=&criteria=O%3AAD%3AE%3A6338&page_number=1&template_id=SS&sort_order=1

From Wikipedia:
Like they say, there's nothing new under the sun.

Not only that, but looking at his work, the only thing I didn't like was the hideous tonality/colour. But then I have never been a fan of old processes where I don't think they have improved anything; it's my beef with those chaps who try this stuff today: in my view, they just create ugliness where they might equally have produced beauty. It seems perverse.

Take that away, and those images show me more than I had ever suspected: the roots of our present day senses of photographic style and composition are even more grounded in the past than I had previously thought it to be the case.

His work, printed well today in a traditional darkroom, would be wonderful to behold.

Thank you for this link; I really do appreciate this interchange of information rendered possible via LuLa.

Rob C

Rob C

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 11:37:14 am by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #212 on: March 05, 2014, 05:46:31 am »

Another Seth Effricen, they are in the news here at present too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvWAjhgjg-k

Cheers,

W

Rob C

« Reply #213 on: March 05, 2014, 12:26:17 pm »

Another Seth Effricen, they are in the news here at present too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvWAjhgjg-k

Cheers,

W

Thank you, Walter; this segment of LuLa is becoming one of the most valuable of them all for me. Thanks again.

I didn't know anything about this guy prior to your link; it's quite sobering seeing how much environment has to do with whom you meet and where that might carry you. I was always aware of it to a degree, but it's only when one considers how it works for other people that the broader reality of it comes home, and one stops thinking of it as just how similar events may have impacted on one's own life, or even how the lack of such events could have been very negative factors in the outcome. In other words, one starts to understand that nobody does it on their own: there are always those important others who open doors of provide the means towards an objective.

Again: si jeunesse savait et vieillesse pouvait.

If youth but knew and age but could. ( Translation for non-Canadians and/or non-Scots. ;-) )

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2014, 01:11:46 am »

This man was possibly the greatest of all influences on my early life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfz5m6Oj2z8

Rob C

« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2014, 04:41:55 am »

This man was possibly the greatest of all influences on my early life:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xfz5m6Oj2z8

I've reverted to getting up at eight rather than at nine in order that I may do more stuff before lunch; that more stuff has metamorphosed into watching more videos than ever before, so in practical terms, a mixed blessing! I found the sound on this one very difficult (his voice) and then I remembered I had a pair of ears to hook up, so clutching them hard to my head I reran the thing and caught pretty much all he had to say.

Again, the manner of his introduction as a non-photographer to photography, in Paris Vogue, no less, beggars belief and reminds me of what I'd commented on earlier about how chance and other people can affect the way our lives turn out to be. If anything, it reinforces my conviction in some destiny, quite beyond any of us, calling the shots.

Thanks again,

Rob C

mikeyam

« Reply #216 on: March 07, 2014, 12:15:09 pm »

It's a part of the same thing as the 'infamous' Donovan quotation about pro/am motivational difficulties. Assignment enforces discipline and, by definition, assignment brings concentrated effort in a real, defined direction, thus removing the stupor of not having anything 'important' to do with the camera, leading to indecision and fundamental lack of purpose. The problem, basically, is that when there is no pressing reason to photograph something, then there simply is no reason to photograph it.

And once you are aware of this in life, it takes a lot to continue along a pointless path. Possibly a fine example of ignorance being bliss.

I enjoyed your link - nice to see somebody today not over-lighting everything!

Rob C

Thanks for sharing this, Rob. Any chance you could explain this idea further or point me in the direction of the original quote? I can really relate to the idea of lacking purpose, because I often don't shoot without a clear purpose (or I can't determine what that purpose is) and am certainly missing out on opportunities as a result.

Rob C

« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2014, 04:41:04 pm »

Thanks for sharing this, Rob. Any chance you could explain this idea further or point me in the direction of the original quote? I can really relate to the idea of lacking purpose, because I often don't shoot without a clear purpose (or I can't determine what that purpose is) and am certainly missing out on opportunities as a result.

Hi Mike,

To paraphrase it as well as I can remember it: " the problem for an amateur is finding a reason to make a photograph," his implication being that a pro has commercial assignments that give him both purpose and direction, whereas an amateur, without such pressures, has nothing to drive him other than the feeling that he really should be doing something with all that stuff he's bought, but what?

As a retired pro I share the concern, and it's damned difficult to overcome it and find something truly worth the effort involved. And it's worse with digital because of all the awful time spent sitting in front of a goddam monitor and computer, with your legs going numb and messing up your circulation, something for which you pay when you get old.

If I can find the source - which I think I can - I'll post it for you here.

Rob C

http://www.photoquotes.com/showquotes.aspx?id=57&name=Donovan,Terence

I've seen it elsewhere, slightly different wording, and also heard him say it in an interview online.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:00:52 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:32 pm »

Well Rob, for me this quote which I found on your link is even more axiomatic:

The magic of photography is metaphysical. What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying. - Terence Donovan - Guardian (London, 19 Nov. 1983)

Then, of course, there is the espoused wisdom of my grand deity atop my pantheon:

How relevant is this quote to this place?

The first half of the 20th century belongs to Picasso and the second half is about photography. They said digital would kill photography because everyone can do it but they said that about the box brownie in 1885 when it came out. It makes photography interesting because everyone thinks they can take a picture. - David Bailey

and,

It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary. - David Bailey - In "Face," (London), Dec 1984.

and lastly for now,

I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked. - David Bailey - In "Independent." (London), 5 Nov. 1990.

Of course, for me, one of Bailey's quirkiest quotes was at the end of his series on models where he is interviewing Isabella Rosselini in a warehouse full of mannequins and declares to her:  "This my idea of hell, being surronded by pussy and none of it works!"

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:53:39 pm by WalterEG »

mikeyam

« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2014, 10:00:28 pm »

Well Rob, for me this quote which I found on your link is even more axiomatic:

The magic of photography is metaphysical. What you see in the photograph isn't what you saw at the time. The real skill of photography is organized visual lying. - Terence Donovan - Guardian (London, 19 Nov. 1983)

Then, of course, there is the espoused wisdom of my grand deity atop my pantheon:

How relevant is this quote to this place?

The first half of the 20th century belongs to Picasso and the second half is about photography. They said digital would kill photography because everyone can do it but they said that about the box brownie in 1885 when it came out. It makes photography interesting because everyone thinks they can take a picture. - David Bailey

and,

It takes a lot of imagination to be a good photographer. You need less imagination to be a painter, because you can invent things. But in photography everything is so ordinary; it takes a lot of looking before you learn to see the ordinary. - David Bailey - In "Face," (London), Dec 1984.

and lastly for now,

I never cared for fashion much, amusing little seams and witty little pleats: it was the girls I liked. - David Bailey - In "Independent." (London), 5 Nov. 1990.

Of course, for me, one of Bailey's quirkiest quotes was at the end of his series on models where he is interviewing Isabella Rosselini in a warehouse full of mannequins and declares to her:  "This my idea of hell, being surronded by pussy and none of it works!"

Thanks again Rob. My problem is that I'm a pro who has assignments, but they're all the wrong ones. I need to figure out how to make the transition to the right ones!
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up