Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Links to Photographers  (Read 86356 times)

WalterEG

Re: Links to Photographers
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2014, 12:37:36 pm »

And yet more fruit of my insomnia.  A clip from 31 years ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-LAOJcBw2s

WalterEG

« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2014, 12:40:20 pm »

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:50:34 pm by WalterEG »

Rob C

« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2014, 01:53:36 pm »

Thanks, Walter, even if it makes me feel I've said so very little in my own photographìc life.

The thing about much of Moon is that she worked magic well before Photoshop existed. I marvel at her distressed images look - almost as much as I do at the fashion editors who were happy to accept her viewpoint and not scream for every stitch to show. But then maybe that's exactly why she got the work: her personality. What a lesson on how to employ a photographer for all those minor ADs who want to call all the shots!

Listening to the soundtrack of the first one I hear echoes of a previous interview she had with Frank Horvat - it's in his site and I'm sure you saw it too, long, long ago. It's her mind, the way it understands the moments of searching common to most of us who have stood there, camera in hand, with a woman in front of us and wondered exactly what the hell we were going to do with her next. The nervous excitement and almost the relishing of the fear of emptiness, the belief that something, anything will turn up and it'll work out if only because we know it will because we believe that it will, and that it certainly won't if we don't have the inner strength to keep the faith alive even through the dead moments, of which there are usually many between the moments of eureka!

I wonder if I would still be blessed with belief today.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2014, 02:27:09 pm »

On lighter note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUvDYW9-6RA

First time I've seen a guy who made it look like fun - for both sides of the equation. Or is that reaction inspired because of the presence of the filming camera?

What's the little camera? A Sony or a Fuji of sorts? Looks very easy to use. Answered my own question by seeing the first few seconds again: Fuji.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:55:00 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #184 on: February 17, 2014, 05:37:53 pm »

Rob,

The camera is the Fuji with the permanently grafted on 35mm lens with optical as well as EVF viewing.

I sort of see what you saw in him although I hold the genre in such disdain that I could only watch a minute or two to see your point.

W

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2014, 04:28:30 am »

It's a part of the same thing as the 'infamous' Donovan quotation about pro/am motivational difficulties. Assignment enforces discipline and, by definition, assignment brings concentrated effort in a real, defined direction, thus removing the stupor of not having anything 'important' to do with the camera, leading to indecision and fundamental lack of purpose. The problem, basically, is that when there is no pressing reason to photograph something, then there simply is no reason to photograph it.

And once you are aware of this in life, it takes a lot to continue along a pointless path. Possibly a fine example of ignorance being bliss.

I enjoyed your link - nice to see somebody today not over-lighting everything!

Rob C

Thank you for the explanation! Unfortunately, it was exactly as I feared, but...never mind...another time perhaps.

These links are taking up most of my lunch breaks, and is infinitely more worthwhile than reading about lines per mm. Good art doesn't need explanations or justifications; like a hundred dollar bill on the road. Thank you!

PS. Saul Leiter. Blown away by his 'street' work.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Rob C

« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2014, 04:55:35 am »

Thank you for the explanation! Unfortunately, it was exactly as I feared, but...never mind...another time perhaps.

These links are taking up most of my lunch breaks, and is infinitely more worthwhile than reading about lines per mm. Good art doesn't need explanations or justifications; like a hundred dollar bill on the road. Thank you!

PS. Saul Leiter. Blown away by his 'street' work.

Sareesh,

Was a time I would buy photography magazines just for the very release to which you refer.

I now find so much additional information online about people of whom my earlier knowledge was limited to the magazines that I'd actually read. It's amazing to realise, just from concentrating on a few old favourites, how much about them was unknown to me until the possibilities of the Internet.

I was always very interested in reading about other photographers who'd impress me with their pictures; it's one thing appreciating the work, but another thing altogether discovering how their minds work/worked. I suppose that because I know just how much dedication it took to stay in the business, I find the minds of these other people so fascinating and their stories so rewarding. It's not really much to do with fanboyism - though I do admire the pix - rather is it an interest in trying to understand their motivation and route to being who they became. In the end, people are what really matter the most in art, the machinations of the marketplace something quite else and probably beyond them themselves. That disillusion might creep in with too much knowledge is a risk I'm prepared to take!

The withdrawal symptoms that a dead Internet might provoke are horrific to contemplate.

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:47:07 am by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #187 on: February 20, 2014, 04:17:20 pm »

For those who loved LP covers - even bought the damned things just for their covers:

http://www.wschupfer.com/photographers/anton-corbijn/album-covers

Rob C

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2014, 08:30:07 am »

Sareesh,

Was a time I would buy photography magazines just for the very release to which you refer.

I now find so much additional information online about people of whom my earlier knowledge was limited to the magazines that I'd actually read. It's amazing to realise, just from concentrating on a few old favourites, how much about them was unknown to me until the possibilities of the Internet.

I was always very interested in reading about other photographers who'd impress me with their pictures; it's one thing appreciating the work, but another thing altogether discovering how their minds work/worked. I suppose that because I know just how much dedication it took to stay in the business, I find the minds of these other people so fascinating and their stories so rewarding. It's not really much to do with fanboyism - though I do admire the pix - rather is it an interest in trying to understand their motivation and route to being who they became. In the end, people are what really matter the most in art, the machinations of the marketplace something quite else and probably beyond them themselves. That disillusion might creep in with to much knowledge is a risk I'm prepared to take!

Absolutely. Just saw 'In no great hurry' - a documentary about Saul Leiter in his studio, essentially a storage of disorganized memories. You look at all the great vertical images he shot (he still shoots vertical, with a Panasonic Lumix I believe - doesn't get any more modest than that), and then he says something like: I've got a thing for raindrops on windows. You don't find things like that in a camera manual.

What I learn from these videos (all made possible because of the Internet) is how things are done. It's priceless.

The withdrawal symptoms that a dead Internet might provoke are horrific to contemplate.

Rob C

It only took about 100,000 years after man climbed down from the trees, so we can now climb up back again and live our entire lives on the Internet.

On a serious note: In my unimportant opinion, a dead Internet would be the lowest point in the history of mankind. It's not because of the free flow of information blah blah, it's because man has a history of creating borders and making things difficult. It's amazing how this was allowed to happen.

Back to photographers, to complement my previous link, I link to another travel photographer who shoots with a Canon DSLR and strobe, and whose $12 ebook I bought: http://www.mitchellkphotos.com/

Two different ways to make travel photography - same technique - camera + one soft box. One uses modest DSLRs and a small Photoflex, the other uses a P65+ with Prophoto and Elinchrom gear. They both look happy.

For those who loved LP covers - even bought the damned things just for their covers:

http://www.wschupfer.com/photographers/anton-corbijn/album-covers

Thanks for this one! Big fan of REM, and now I know who shot the cover.
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Rob C

« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2014, 12:29:30 pm »

http://photographyinterviews.blogspot.com.es/2009/04/saul-leiter-quiet-iconoclast-saul.html

A favourite quotation from Saul Leiter, 22//!2009:

"I realise that the search for beauty is not highly popular these days. Agony, misery and wretchedness, now those are worth perusing."

http://www.gallery51.com/index.php?navigatieid=9&fotograafid=15

Rob C
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 01:40:18 pm by Rob C »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2014, 02:35:46 pm »

I gave it a few days, but I don't get the meaning. I understand 'discipline creates freedom', and totally agree, but I don't get the context.

This guy is phenomenally talented: http://www.joeyl.com/favor-galleries/quick-selection/ And he's only 25, give or take. Maybe it's his age, but he's the only photographer whose website has a gear page.

Stunning work indeed, thanks for passing it on.

Rob C

« Reply #191 on: February 22, 2014, 04:48:26 am »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #192 on: February 22, 2014, 05:05:10 am »

I gave it a few days, but I don't get the meaning. I understand 'discipline creates freedom', and totally agree, but I don't get the context.

This guy is phenomenally talented: http://www.joeyl.com/favor-galleries/quick-selection/ And he's only 25, give or take. Maybe it's his age, but he's the only photographer whose website has a gear page.

Thinking on from this I do wonder whether that is because the actual make of kit he uses is secondary to the post processing he lavishes with great skill upon the images, but then, other than a photo of a Phase One he doesn't give too much away.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #193 on: February 22, 2014, 11:53:50 pm »

Thinking on from this I do wonder whether that is because the actual make of kit he uses is secondary to the post processing he lavishes with great skill upon the images, but then, other than a photo of a Phase One he doesn't give too much away.

I don't know. I'm one of those people who has a peculiar eye condition that allows me to see 'the medium format look'. Compare his travel photos with those of Michael's (link in above post) - the camera techniques and post processing is the same - ND filter, f/2.8, single strobe+soft box, reflector and some dodging and burning.

Whenever I see a MFDB image with humans in it, the image just pops out for some strange reason. Joey knows how to market himself. He uses the bigger P65+ sensor, a bigger flash unit that can overpower the sun, travels with two guys and records videos of his 'trials and tribulations' - all powerful stuff.

Rob C

« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2014, 04:53:05 pm »

Bert Stern's Finest Hour +:

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2014, 02:42:50 pm »

Did anyone realise that Mario Casilli had died quite few years ago?

Saddens me...

Rob C

WalterEG

« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2014, 06:04:58 pm »

Did anyone realise that Mario Casilli had died quite few years ago?

Saddens me...

Rob C

Mario Cassilli. Photographer Born on 22.01. 1931 in Cleveland, Ohio Died on 25.04.2002 in Los Angeles

And Bert Sterns finest hour was actually an hour and twenty one minutes.  Thanks for the link — great to see and hear it again.

WalterEG

« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2014, 06:06:59 pm »

And on a similar tragis note:  Pompeo Posar (February 21, 1921 – April 5, 2004)

Rob C

« Reply #198 on: February 26, 2014, 04:16:37 am »

Mario Cassilli. Photographer Born on 22.01. 1931 in Cleveland, Ohio Died on 25.04.2002 in Los Angeles

And Bert Sterns finest hour was actually an hour and twenty one minutes.  Thanks for the link — great to see and hear it again.

I thought you might enjoy it - I sat through it a total of six times when it was new, at the old Cosmo in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow. As with La Dolce Vita, I dragged several other guys to see it too a couple of times, and I think most enjoyed it. It left a mark on Stoney Keef too: he went to see it many times just to catch the clip with Chuck Berry. For me, with a foot in both camps (as fan) I was distressed to see the cold way with which the rest of those musos, with the exception of drums and clarinet, treated Berry. One could sense the bitterness and financial envy, not to mention musical snobbery at play. However, unless the audience reactions were rigged in production in some way, Berry got the most wild round of applause of all of the performers other than perhaps the two gospel girls.

The opening sequences with the ripples of water were ahead of their time: the beginnings of music videos, no less, before videos existed.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #199 on: February 26, 2014, 04:20:40 am »

And on a similar tragis note:  Pompeo Posar (February 21, 1921 – April 5, 2004)

Oh shit! And he was head photographer there for years. I was going to look for him tonight on the web... I suppose I still will, but in a sad way.

As bad, I once found a link to a list of ex-Playmates, and it was hellish to see how many had died from breast cancer. What God giveth...

Rob C
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up