Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: Links to Photographers  (Read 86354 times)

Riaan van Wyk

Re: Links to Photographers
« Reply #140 on: December 25, 2013, 01:39:44 pm »

http://www.panascape.co.za/wppana/index.php/galleries/landscapes-2/

South African photgraphers, does some interesting stuff in Cape Town.

Rob C

« Reply #141 on: January 02, 2014, 05:17:37 pm »

Hi Riaan,

Here's another from the early days, whose work is so good. And it's all to do with basic photography and not just heaps of fakery:

http://www.arthurelgort.com/

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #142 on: January 11, 2014, 02:23:27 pm »

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2014, 01:29:04 am »

Has anyone linked to Norman Parkinson yet? Just discovered him a couple of weeks ago, and discovered this thread today! Thanks for sharing!

www.normanparkinson.com/
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Rob C

« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2014, 04:31:34 am »

Parks was well, well established long before I arrived on my local scene; he was a sort of step between the former homosexual snappers and the more girl-chasing lot that followed. (I would have belonged to the latter, both chronologically and by nature, but had a wonderful wife already... however, as they say, no harm in reading the menu even if you are on a strict diet.) The BBC made a good documentary about him a while back, and his featured beach shots of Iman, Bowie's femme, rate amongst the most beautiful fashion shots ever.

Somehow, and again this is another personal take, Parks did have the great fortune of being around in the right place and at the very best of times. Both old enough to have enjoyed wartime success and still young and talented enough to have made it through the visual and cultural earthquakes of the 60s and onwards to new highs of his own, an Edinburgh Pirelli  included. I suppose that going on assignment to Edinburgh must have felt just like going on another thrilling location shoot for him; when you've been to all the exotic isles already, why not a historical jaunt, just for the change? At least, he would have discovered that kilts are an embarrassing myth, a joke reserved for weddings, shooting/fishing lodges, tourist shops and carnivals.

Both he and Avedon inspire me for one great and personal reason: they both died in the saddle. That's an ambition I would hope to fulfill, too, even if now possible only in amateur status.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #145 on: January 15, 2014, 04:26:14 pm »

WalterEG

« Reply #146 on: January 15, 2014, 04:34:57 pm »

I am a great fan of 'Cyclops' Watson.  His vision is powerful right across the board of subject matter.  I have a number of his monographs and I think my favourite might be Marroc.

Sareesh Sudhakaran

• The Indie Farm
« Reply #147 on: January 15, 2014, 10:46:37 pm »

... they both died in the saddle. That's an ambition I would hope to fulfill, too, even if now possible only in amateur status.

Rob C

Rob, I understand what you're saying, but 'an ambition to die in the saddle' - isn't that a morbid thought? An ambition to photograph is 'normal', death will happen nevertheless.

Personally, I'd hate to die on a job - I hate unfinished work, not meeting deadlines and disappointing clients. It's not like there's any valor involved, as in Sparta = "come back with your camera, or on it".
Get the Free Comprehensive Guide to Rigging ANY Camera - one guide to rig them all - DSLRs to the Arri Alexa.

Rob C

« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2014, 09:15:04 am »

Rob, I understand what you're saying, but 'an ambition to die in the saddle' - isn't that a morbid thought? An ambition to photograph is 'normal', death will happen nevertheless.

Personally, I'd hate to die on a job - I hate unfinished work, not meeting deadlines and disappointing clients. It's not like there's any valor involved, as in Sparta = "come back with your camera, or on it".

Nope, no valor, but sure beats the stuffing out of lying dead in an old-folks home with wet bedsheets and crumbs on one's beard. Of course, if the wet bed sheets and asphyxiation came from an excellent joke, that's another matter.

This is just an ordinary joke:

Judge: when did you realise you'd been raped?

Whore: when the cheque bounced.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »

I am a great fan of 'Cyclops' Watson.  His vision is powerful right across the board of subject matter.  I have a number of his monographs and I think my favourite might be Marroc.

As an aside, Walter - I had quite forgotten just how wonderful Watson is; his range is pretty immense and he seems able to do it all in great style. In fact, in the Beauty section, towards the end, there are two shots aping Marilyn à la Dienes - and possibly Peter Gowland - complete with polka-dotted brolly! Takes guts (and a certain humility with it) for someone as famous as our Albert not to feel too 'big' to refer to another photographer's style and icons!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2014, 03:59:26 pm »

http://anthonylukephotography.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/photographer-nadav-kander-discusses-his.html

Interesting interview, especially near the end when he compares working with film and then going the digital route.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #151 on: January 18, 2014, 04:55:53 pm »

http://www.chicobialas.com/

Another island dweller.

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2014, 05:33:48 am »

Rob C

« Reply #153 on: January 23, 2014, 05:27:16 am »

For those who dabble in portraits...

http://www.felixlammers.com/

Rob C

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2014, 10:00:14 am »

Do not worry, Keith, in case of such a confrontation, there are plenty more of us who would circle our wagons to protect Rob, should he ever be in need of such protection.

Rob C

« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2014, 12:12:00 pm »

Of which Dick Dastardlies do we speak?

The bandana that gets most usage is the red one; well, it's now red on the inside but very pale pink on the outer. It can't be reversed, i.e. worn inside out, because worn that way, the thing just won't lie down following the contours of my head. Like with those woollen hats that are otherwise fantastic protection against the wind down from the Alps, both items of apparel climb upward to the top of my head, and in the case of the woollen one, lend me the appearance of a pixie or garden gnome, neither of which match the svelte looks of the Nikon. Obviously, that has to be a no-no. The other bandana, the traditional navy with paisley pattern border, never sat properly, so it's worn only for housework.

Regarding the infarctus topic: it was little fun lying in bed, either time! And no, I wasn't 'on the job' as the saying goes, I was asleep and then awake. Fortunately.

"As an aside, you can bet if there's a confrontation here on LuLa that RobC will be in the middle of it. What exactly is it about you or your posts here that attracts so much strife? Is it something you seek or enjoy? Is it like this for you in the real world?"

Where does that come from? What have I missed? Dammit, everything passes right over my head - must be that bloody bandana! But Keith, isn't this the real world?

Heart attack No.3 felt very close half-an-hour ago. I had shot a cellpic at lunch, which I shall post here, and when I connected up the mobile, it wouldn't transfer to Samsung's Kies software that I'd installed in W8! I reinstalled and reinstalled and now have given up. So, back to the  XP computer, and from there I have the shot on the external drive and can slot it in here. Microsoft has no idea the amount of sheer hatred that flows its way from Mallorca. This very W8 topic arose at a bar straight after lunch - a further case of hatred, but this time from a US citizen here. On the other hand, hatred unites people; the haters, that is.

Slobodan, I hope your wagon can continue its travels in peace, with no flaming arrows marking its pristine canvas!

;-)

Rob C

P.S. In all the excitement of covered wagons, I forgot to say that the pic illustrates what's decor in the eatery that I found open today.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 02:21:39 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2014, 02:18:50 pm »

Rob, the time to worry is when it's the only world ;-)

Thank God for that! I have a fantasy one too.

;-)

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #157 on: January 27, 2014, 01:01:05 pm »

Revisited an old favourite just now:

http://www.charliewaite.com/home

Never a landscape shooter myself - drew the line with some dabbles in so-called 'atmospherics' for stock - I did enjoy reading/looking at his books when I found them in libraries during return trips to Ecosse. I'm certain he had this pact with the horned one; my own French trips never revealed anything remotely like his.

The site is different to the way I remember it - the images still pretty seminal and another good reason to moan about lost 'blads.

Enjoy, you countryside mavericks!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2014, 01:50:16 pm »

Hard - impossible? - to beat today.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/spy/celebrity-photos/2012/01/23/jean-shrimpton-style-file/gallery/720833

For me, it proves eye and subject is so much more vital than a zillion pixels and the world's greatest Photoshop artist. Sad that we appear to have lost faith in the humanity of pictures and only look for the pinpricks where we touch the thing, the number of lights that was used, how well they reflect off the dehumanized, plastic transformation we have created...

Rob C
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 02:04:54 pm by Rob C »

WalterEG

« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2014, 04:49:57 pm »

Aaaah, Rob,

Thems was the days!

In Australia there is a saying that the ideal woman is a beauty queen that owns a pub.

Such was the case with the Shrimp — had a boozer on the Cornish coast for years I believe.

W
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12   Go Up