Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Samsung Bests Nikon  (Read 2498 times)

RFPhotography

Samsung Bests Nikon
« on: August 30, 2012, 05:33:35 pm »

Recently I posted a link to an announcement from Nikon about a new P&S camera that worked on the Android OS.  The thought behind it was that it may be a first volley in trying to stem some of the lost sales of compact cameras to ever-improving smartphones.  The major problem with the Nikon offering is that it doesn't incorporate built-in connectivity.

Well, today Samsung came to the party announcing a camera using the Android OS.  But..... unlike Nikon's the Samsung has built-in 4G connectivity and will work as a phone as well. 

Where the Nikon approach was hackneyed, incomplete and likely DOA, the Samsung approach with full connectivity and a fully functioning phone may well get some traction.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Samsung Bests Nikon
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:00:16 am »

I guess you need a second 3G subscription for your camera?

Using your existing smartphone as a wifi access point sounds like a better option to me.

Cheers,
Bernard

RFPhotography

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 07:00:19 am »

The point is that you'd use this in place of  your existing cell phone.

Gary Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 07:10:52 am »

The point is that you'd use this in place of  your existing cell phone.

According to the DPReview writeup, “Although we understand that the camera does not have cellular voice capabilities, it will be compatible with various VoiP apps, such as Skype, which will enable it to be used for making voice and video calls over 3G/4G or WiFi.”

I don't have any experience with using VoIP apps, but I wonder whether that would really serve as a good replacement for a phone, and whether leaving it “on” all the time would result in reasonable battery life when used as a phone.

RFPhotography

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 10:24:49 am »

That's interesting.  When I first read about this the indication was that it did have voice capability.  Good VoIP provides very good voice quality.  Skype doesn't fit into that category.  Skype is crap.  I use Vonage for my business phone and voice quality is very good.  I believe they have some smartphone apps as well.  Nettalk is another that, apparently, provides good voice quality.

mac_paolo

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:37:33 pm »

What a nightmare.  :o
Going out shooting something interesting and, working on the keeper of the day, you receive a call via Skype/VoIP/Viber.

AAAaarrgghh!!!  ;D

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »

Sounds like this thing is designed to be a camera with 3G capability for data upload, I am not sure it would provide a good user experience as a phone.

I'd personally rather use a dedicated phone and my camera over thetered wifi.

Cheers,
Bernard

RFPhotography

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 07:42:23 am »

Tethered and wifi are kind of an oxymoron, no?  One is a hard connection the other isn't?  ;D  I do get your point, Bernard.  But these devices aren't directed at you.  You're not the target market.  Nor is most of the LuLa audience.  The idea is to be able to share pictures on Facebook or Twitter or Flickr more quickly.  Pictures of friends out and about, snapshots of cats and flowers, images of coffee cups and half eaten meals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up