Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Around Santa Fe  (Read 3575 times)

aboudd

• Aboud Dweck - A Body of Work
Around Santa Fe
« on: August 29, 2012, 07:45:06 am »

From last week's trip to Santa Fe

Wildflowers in Hyde Memorial National Park
Tent Rocks
Double rainbow on Hwy 84
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:50:47 am by aboudd »
A little song, a little dance, a little seltzer in your pants.
www.dweckgallery.com

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
Re: Around Santa Fe
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:05:57 am »

I am not sure the large background does the image any "good." I would crop it significantly to concentrate more on the simplicity of color in the foreground flowers.

The second one, while having a nice panoramic feel to it seems to have too many centers of interest spread over too great an area. Have you considered a vertical crop, which while still having a variety of interest points, will work the eye from foreground to back in a more natural progression.

In the double rainbow, I would clone out the very bottom left triangle of highway and car and perhaps even all the little casitas scattered about the frame. This shot, too would likely benefit from a vertical rather than horizontal crop, directing the emphasis on the rainbow rather than its setting.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

aboudd

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 09:46:13 am »

Thanks for your comments.

The panoramic of tent rocks has to be viewed large. It is a shot of the environment in which they formed. I did take tight shots as you can see, but the tent rocks take on a rather strange quality which I did not care for.

The photo of the rainbow was spontaneous. It showed up as we were waiting to see the opera. Here is an alternative of the rainbow as a vertical, but it is only the one rainbow that shows, not the double. I would have liked to shoot more of the road and casitas as part of the photo but the lens I had with me was too long.

As to the wildflowers, you are right, but I couldn't get close to them and I tend not to crop severely. However, this was taken on MF so I might have more latitude than I was thinking.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 09:48:04 am by aboudd »
www.dweckgallery.com

Frank Sirona

• Frank Sirona landscape photography
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 01:03:12 pm »

Much better! I believe it´s always the best to concentrate on what you really want to show, and to let everything else away - even though sometimes this may be quite difficult to achieve. Recently we had a thread here on Abstract landscapes, and when you follow the links there, you will see that simplicity is a common theme.
Frank Sirona. Large format photography of the Desert Southwest.

www.franksirona.com

aboudd

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:51:39 pm »

It is all in the eye of the beholder. For me the panorama viewed large is better, it shows the grandeur of the tent rocks site better than a tight shot. I have no strong feelings on the other two as they were more or less grab shots.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:27:18 pm by aboudd »
www.dweckgallery.com

bill t.

• http://www.unit16.net
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 05:07:09 pm »

Nice shots!  Panoramas are pictures of places and spaces, and are best seen big.  Cropped shots are pictures of objects, and work best at small scale.  It's that simple.

Going to Santa Fe tomorrow to install a large, long term show in the Governor's Gallery, woohoo!

aboudd

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 07:12:10 am »

Exactly, thank you Bill. I try to shoot using every millimeter of the frame to minimize cropping. Sometimes, like in this shot, I have to yield  to cropping to eliminate an unwanted element.
www.dweckgallery.com

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 10:33:28 am »

Good for you Bill. That is a really great space. How long will it be up? I will get by to see it for sure.

The "Contemplative Landscape" show that I am a part of at the New Mexico History Museum will be up through December 29th. You might want to catch it while you are up there. SF shows are always great for sales.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:43:51 am by Kirk Gittings »
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 11:05:08 am »

Exactly, thank you Bill. I try to shoot using every millimeter of the frame to minimize cropping. Sometimes, like in this shot, I have to yield  to cropping to eliminate an unwanted element.

This shot really screams to be a B&W. When I look at the color version, it is almost as if I am driving by the ranch at Abibiqu and viewing the world through a passenger's side window. It becomes a nice shot, but not a memorable one. I did one just to play and I think if you explore this option, you too will like the shot better as well. Of course, it is only my opinion.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

aboudd

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 02:39:53 pm »

Interesting take but I do not agree. The BW conversion did not pop for me as the color does. I think the variance in the rock strata gets too toned down in the B&W. But, that is only my opinion. By the way, you would have to be driving 50 feet off the ground to see this through your car window.  :D
www.dweckgallery.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up