Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson Exhibition Fiber paper  (Read 4412 times)

ymc226

Epson Exhibition Fiber paper
« on: August 27, 2012, 04:51:39 pm »

I would like to try this paper as it is touted as having OBA and is very bright.  However, I don't like texture in my papers.  Having just finished a batch of the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta which was bright/white enough for me, I thought it's surface too rough.  The Canson Infinity Baryta Photographique is fine surface-wise but I'd like something whiter.

Can anyone who uses EEF comment on the surface texture.

RFPhotography

Re: Epson Exhibition Fiber paper
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 06:05:38 pm »

If you're looking for something that's absolutely smooth then likely none of the fibre papers are going to be to your liking.  The Epson is a lustre surface and it does have a very small amount of texture.

texshooter

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 06:13:29 pm »

If you want something smoother than HFAB and something whiter than CBP, and if you want to stick with fiber paper, then go with either

Epson Exhibition Fiber
Hahnemuhle Fine Art Pearl

davidh202

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »

Can anyone who uses EEF comment on the surface texture.
It's lovely!
buy a Epson Signature Worthy  sample pak which includes 2 sheets and decide for yourself !!

the hot and cold press papers are also wonderful.
http://www.atlex.com/epson-signature-worthy-sample-pack-8-5-x11-14-sheets.html

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 03:36:43 am »

Check EEF's paper white stability at www.Aardenburg-Imaging.com. That white does not last long and the paper ends with a warmer white than any of the fiber/baryta papers available. One test going to negative numbers on the paper white, I would not touch it with a bargpole. There are more cooler fiber/baryta papers that show instability on the paper white, the Hahnemühle FineArt Baryta for example. Hahnemühle FineArt Pearl does it better in testing. Check the Fiber/Baryta paper first at Aardenburg before you start using it. A neutral paper could be more stable over time than one of the cooler papers.

An RC paper like Canon Heavyweight Satin Photographic (b -3) beats them all on paper white stability, the Gloss version (not tested) must be identical based on my spectral plots.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update july 2012: Moab changes, paper sorting by name

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 11:19:07 am »

If you're looking for something that's absolutely smooth then likely none of the fibre papers are going to be to your liking.  The Epson is a lustre surface and it does have a very small amount of texture.

I agree - but EF is a lovely paper for those of us who want bright whites and a great Dmax.

RFPhotography

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 11:28:43 am »

Didn't say it was a bad paper, Peter.  I use it and quite like it. 

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 02:20:17 pm »

I wish Epson would make a warmer version of Exhibition Fibre. One without the oba issues. I like the feel and texture of it.

Sharon
Museo Silver Rag???

John Caldwell

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 09:06:25 am »

FWIW, I dislike the surface of Hahnemühle FA Baryta, but have no objection at all to the surface of the Epson EF paper. They are quite different wrt surfaces.

John Caldwell

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:58:33 am »

Hello,

If you're looking for sample packs of most of these different papers, we do carry them.
We have a sample page on our site listed under the "paper and media" section.  Just put your cursor over that option and the drop down menu will show.  This selection will be located at the bottom of the menu.

@ davidh202
Thanks for referring to our sample pack of Epson!  The luster is one of our top selling Epson papers.  As well as the Fiber.

Let us know if you have questions.

Chris W

ymc226

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 03:25:28 pm »

Thanks, that paper sounds interesting.  I will definitely look into it after I use up the EEF which I just bought based on the prior posters' opinions.  I wonder why Harmen papers aren't as well known.

BTW, I just returned from Nantucket where I took several landscapes which need to be printed.

Love this - http://harman.hahnemuehle.com/site/en/834/gloss-baryta.html
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 03:29:51 pm by ymc226 »

ymc226

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 03:28:04 pm »

Check EEF's paper white stability at www.Aardenburg-Imaging.com. That white does not last long and the paper ends with a warmer white than any of the fiber/baryta papers available. One test going to negative numbers on the paper white, I would not touch it with a bargpole. There are more cooler fiber/baryta papers that show instability on the paper white, the Hahnemühle FineArt Baryta for example. Hahnemühle FineArt Pearl does it better in testing. Check the Fiber/Baryta paper first at Aardenburg before you start using it. A neutral paper could be more stable over time than one of the cooler papers.

An RC paper like Canon Heavyweight Satin Photographic (b -3) beats them all on paper white stability, the Gloss version (not tested) must be identical based on my spectral plots.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update july 2012: Moab changes, paper sorting by name

Thank you for bringing up this issue. 

ymc226

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2012, 10:59:12 am »

I would love to see them.

Sharon

I would be embarrassed as they are quite amateurish but they are good for me given the special place ACK has for me and my family.

hugowolf

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2012, 11:33:49 am »

Thanks, that paper sounds interesting.  I will definitely look into it after I use up the EEF which I just bought based on the prior posters' opinions.  I wonder why Harmen papers aren't as well known.
Harman Gloss Baryta is quite well known amongst those in the US and N America with 17 inch sheet feed printers. It is one of the few papers available in 17 x 25 inches which much better matches the 3:2 aspect ratio of a dSLR camera than the ANSI C 17 x 22 inches. In the rest of the world paper sheets are available A2, which is also a better match for 3:2.

You are looking at quite a range of different papers: everything for full gloss to fine art mat and cellulose to cotton bases.

I would add a sample pack of Harman papers to your list too, or if you are only interested in bright white, perhaps just a small box of Harman Gloss Baryta in US letter size. (They also have the paper in a warmtone too.)

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up