Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 54   Go Down

Author Topic: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences  (Read 615144 times)

Pete_G

Re: Sigma DP2 Merrill Experiences
« Reply #660 on: January 11, 2013, 04:55:38 am »

Hi Juan,

Consuegra and Segovia shots look great, but can I see banding in the sky of the first colour Consuegra shot? I like to photograph Spain a lot and particularly like the heavy blue skies you can get there, I also like to post process the skies a lot to get the most out of them. I'm hoping the banding issues with the Sigma aren't going to bug me. Can't tell until I get back to Spain.

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #661 on: January 11, 2013, 03:05:11 pm »

Yes the banding issues w/the sky - I see them too, but on one of my monitors and not both???   But I also see a lot of purple/magenta in the sky too that doesn't look right and I see that in both screens.
Hmmm... 
Rolleiflex USA

juan_amores

« Reply #662 on: January 11, 2013, 03:50:33 pm »

hey thanks for all those great full res pics. how did you expose those images? do you think you could expose them a little more and then recover highlights or not? (shadow noise doesn't look to bad but for the very deep shadows, it looks like there isn't much left)

Thanks, I was exposed to more enlightened parts of the windmills and I think this camera (and SPP) recovered very well the highlights.

juan_amores

« Reply #663 on: January 11, 2013, 03:54:53 pm »

Hi Juan,
Thanks for sharing those images.  I'm impressed with the overall sharpness and pretty large DOF for apertures as large as f/5 or f/5.6.    Were these hand held or on a tripod?   
All the images look great, but I'm curious about something I saw in one of them.  In Segovia VIII the clouds in the far background - they are purple and green.  Is this from highlight recovery or what happened? 
Regards,
Eric

Thanks Eric, all these photos were taken handheld. Indeed in the photo you mention the sky has these colors because the sky was burnt (highlight recovery).

juan_amores

« Reply #664 on: January 11, 2013, 03:58:09 pm »

Hi Juan,

Consuegra and Segovia shots look great, but can I see banding in the sky of the first colour Consuegra shot? I like to photograph Spain a lot and particularly like the heavy blue skies you can get there, I also like to post process the skies a lot to get the most out of them. I'm hoping the banding issues with the Sigma aren't going to bug me. Can't tell until I get back to Spain.

Thanks Peter, you're right, in the first Consuegra shot I also see bands in the sky but are not easy to see  :)

Neil Vanderwolf

« Reply #665 on: January 11, 2013, 05:05:39 pm »

Just thought I would share a couple from my DP2 Merrill.

Neil

wildstork

• Lawrence Beck Photography
« Reply #666 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:21 pm »

Beautiful images, Neil!  Those should be printed as large as possible!

juan_amores

« Reply #667 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:22 pm »

Wonderful images Neil, especially the first!!

Pete_G

« Reply #668 on: January 12, 2013, 07:51:12 am »

Thanks Peter, you're right, in the first Consuegra shot I also see bands in the sky but are not easy to see  :)

Banding can be an issue to do with the sensor responding poorly to a gradient, but it can also be caused by jpeg compression AND by a failure in the monitor, sometimes banding can seen on a monitor but will not be present when printed. Perhaps all three are at work in what I see of your Consuegra shot. There are techniques in PS to reduce or eliminate banding, I'm going to have to investigate these. At the moment the skies in London are so awfully dull and grey that I have little chance at the moment. I'm going to pop over to the Lightroom forum an put in a request for an Anti Banding slider in LR. Maybe it's possible.

Pete_G

« Reply #669 on: January 12, 2013, 08:10:03 am »

Yes the banding issues w/the sky - I see them too, but on one of my monitors and not both???   But I also see a lot of purple/magenta in the sky too that doesn't look right and I see that in both screens.
Hmmm... 

Eric, I can see the magenta casts too and I've seen them on many Sigma images online. Some people are experimenting with CornerFix to reduce the problem, with some success it seems.

Criollo

« Reply #670 on: January 14, 2013, 06:10:01 am »

Nikon D800E - Sigma DP2 Merrill comparison

Oops, he did it again:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-V4DDlTTJVvU/UPPkZ-SPDeI/AAAAAAAALdo/hjw38ceSgVA/s1600/comp.jpg
http://soundimageplus.blogspot.fr/2013/01/another-nikon-d800e-sigma-dp2-merrill.html

I know, it's not laboratory stuff. But nevertheless ....

juan_amores

« Reply #671 on: January 14, 2013, 07:01:19 am »

One more:

Puente_Alemanes por John Loves, en Flickr

tom w

« Reply #672 on: January 14, 2013, 04:19:52 pm »

A couple of images from LA recently made with my DP2m.

mezzoduomo

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #674 on: January 14, 2013, 10:36:27 pm »

I like the sigma dp2 merrill, I really do, but that SteveHuff test is so poorly done, its not possibly fair.  Hasselblad shot wide open - you can't even say for sure the camera was accurately focused.  The sigma clearly shows a lot of detail, but the colors and tonality are better on the H.   Sigma DP2 punches above its weight class but let's be realistic, its no 39mp digital back killer.
Rolleiflex USA

mmbma

« Reply #675 on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:30 pm »

Eric. All valid points. I was limited by my room light. Tomorrow I will do a test under day light with the lens stopped down.
Although the Hassey was properly focused. I was surprised at the result so I re did the shot many times at different focal lenghts (from 1.5-2M), and the image I posted was the accurate focus. Mirror was locked up as well

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #676 on: January 15, 2013, 02:25:01 am »

Okay, thanks for reply. I'll be curious to see a retest, but as I have owned a CFii 39MS, I know what that back can do. 
Rolleiflex USA

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #677 on: January 15, 2013, 04:08:05 am »

Hi,

Regarding sharpness, it is my guess that you may have missed focus. Try to do some focus bracketing, I do it always in my testing unless I can use live view.

On the colors, when you do repro it is about reproducing color. In repro yo would try to stay close to original. It is a good idea to include a color checker in any test shot, makes it easy to assert that color balance is right, exposure not clipped and also is helpful in getting equivalent tona scales.

Best regards
Erik

Eric. All valid points. I was limited by my room light. Tomorrow I will do a test under day light with the lens stopped down.
Although the Hassey was properly focused. I was surprised at the result so I re did the shot many times at different focal lenghts (from 1.5-2M), and the image I posted was the accurate focus. Mirror was locked up as well
Erik Kaffehr

juan_amores

« Reply #678 on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:52 am »

One more:

_SDI0436 por John Loves, en Flickr

thomas turnbull

« Reply #679 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:27 pm »

Thanks Juan ~ that's very beautiful!

Irenaeus
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 54   Go Up