Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 44" Canon ipf8300 - best price I've ever seen  (Read 34130 times)

I.T. Supplies

Re: 44" Canon ipf8300 - best price I've ever seen
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2012, 11:47:47 am »

I see what your saying.  I believe I miss read your previous reply.  If you get another person, they will probably tell you differently and hopefully send them out to you free of charge :)

Good luck!

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2012, 05:43:40 pm »

Just wanted to inform everyone that Canon gave another discount off the printer price.  Granite, it is another $20, but still makes it below $2000 after all discounts!

Contact us if you have any questions.
cwood@itsupplies.com

ftbt

« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2012, 08:45:31 pm »

I see what your saying.   ... If you get another person, they will probably tell you differently and hopefully send them out to you free of charge :)Good luck!

I tried. I talked to another service guy at Canon this morning and e-mailed him the status report (after I had upgraded the firmware). Basically: the nozzles are bad and he claims a PCB board is also bad.

Now, here's the rub: The second service guy asked me whether I kept the machine on constantly or turned it off. I told him I turned it off after use. Oh, he says. It would be better to keep the machine on all the time. Really, I say. Where does it say that it in the manual? The service guy: Well, it doesn't say that anywhere. It is just something that we have found. Well, that's nice I say. Thanks for that little bit of $1,500.00 advice. It certainly would have been nice to have had the benefit of that information from Canon when I bought the machine, or when I when I reviewed the manuals. I would have left it on all the time!

Now, it gets better: While he is telling me all of this, I have 2 status reports up on my screen. The first status report is from the old firmware (from Tuesday) and the new status report is from today with the new firmware. Guess what? The new firmware has an 8 hour power time-out. Basically, it shuts the machine off after being on for 8 hours. I tell this to the Canon guy, and ask him, so how can I keep the machine on full-time? Oh, it has a power time-out, he says. Hmm, I guess that must be for some sort of energy compliance. But, he says, I think you can disable it somehow. (WTF)

So, I guess it is going to cost me the big $1,500.00. Just be aware that if you upgrade to the new firmware, you may have to figure out a way to keep your machine on all the time. Nice to know all these little secrets about how to care for your machine. Considering that this is supposedly a "professional" machine, don't you think it would be appropriate for Canon to tell you this in the manual ... rather than waiting for a failure, so that you they can then charge you the big $$ for a service call?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:47:32 pm by ftbt »

epatsellis

« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2012, 10:10:44 pm »

I've had the same issue on my 8300, after upgrading firmware, it shuts itself off after a bit. I'll have to look to see how to disable it, I am squarely in the "leave it on all the time" camp for nearly every piece of electronics I own.

JeffKohn

• http://jeffk-photo.typepad.com
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2012, 10:16:36 pm »

I discovered the power-off timeout as well. Couldn't figure out what was happening, couldn't be power glitches since I have the printer on a UPS.

Go into the menu on the printer's control panel, there's a setting in there where you can disable it. I don't remember the exact details now, but it wasn't hard to find.
Jeff Kohn
[url=http://ww

enduser

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2012, 08:36:49 am »

This whole "Turn off, leave on" thing is getting weirder.  First, there is no info as to leave on or off in the literature you get when you purchase.  Wise people here who watch these things have worked out that leaving on is better, and you'd have to agree, otherwise why when you do, does it wake up and check temperature and humidity, do a little nozzle check and agitate the ink.

Now we hear that the factory default is to NOT leave on.   What about some genuine answers from the Canon engineers about this?   Is it some sort of secret society that keeps secrets, do we have to keep on with guessing games?  Very un-professional attitude frrom the manufacturer.   If they don't participate here, then where?

Drew Baker

« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2012, 10:06:11 am »

Thanks so much for that, John. I had no idea why the printer wasn't staying on. (It's in the System Setup menu, called Shut Down Timer.)

--Drew

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2012, 04:53:37 pm »

OK so I now have one of these on the way.... my HPZ3100 was one of the early ones, and although I plan to do a belt service on it soon I've been eyeing canvas printing and want to go bigger than the 24" printer will offer.

My question is about the depth, including space around it needed to load rolls.  The specs say that it's 38" including the stand.  So....

I assume that this includes the catcher, is that right? 
How deep is the printer alone?
Can you load from either side, front or back? (eg I load my Z3100 from the right only and don't need any additional space behind the printer)
    which leads to...
How much distance do I need to have behind it, or to the right or left to load rolls?
Anything else I should be thinking about for placement?

I have a couple of spots I can put it and one of them is a little more space constrained but would be a little better

Thanks

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2012, 05:14:45 pm »

Here are the dimensions with the basket from Canon's site.
(with stand): 45" (H) x 74.5" (W) x 38.4" (D)

The sheets and rolls load from the front.

Printer, basket, stand and full 330ml inks all come in the shipment (one box).

All Thumbs

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2012, 06:27:43 pm »

For various reasons I have chosen not to use the stand supplied with the 8300.  Instead I set the printer on top of 3 sets of flat file storage units.  This raises the printer about 48 inches off the floor and makes rear access difficult.  There is no space required behind the printer and it is 29 inches deep.  I don't have the standard paper catcher though something can easily be rigged.  Loading is front only regardless of how the printer is set up.  No extra space is needed on the sides.

The repair tech. just loved this setup when he came to repair my printer.  I had to beg him to make a second visit. 

Moving the printer does require that I have buddies willing to work for pizza, but it's just a matter of trade offs.  This way I have room for flat files and a 44 inch printer.

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2012, 08:20:30 pm »

Ahh, load from the front.  Love it!  I was not aware of that.  It will be welcome as my back was not looking forward to wrerstling 44" rolls behind the printer.

Deloof, that's a good idea, in fact I did this with my Z3100, although I built a table over a single 29" x 42" lower flat file and use the space between for storage, but it's got me thinking now.

Thanks

sboerup

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2012, 02:00:35 pm »

I bought my 8300 in December last year, I got it on a good promotion from LexJet, almost close to this price.  After the deals I probably paid around $2600 shipped, and I thought that was a crazy deal.

I do fairly "low" volume IMO, but have printed around 70k sq inches thus far in ink volume.  I just replaced my matte-black tank, and thats the only one that was even near depletion.  I print on canvas exclusively and do a lot of black borders, so thats why it was used more than other colors.  The gray is the next lowest, but thats typical for Canon, as my 9500 sucks Gray ink more than the others.  I'll be using 700ml tanks as I replace them since its about a 20% savings over the 330ml tanks.

So, in 9 months, I've never had a single issue, clog, hiccup, or any problem.  It's always plugged in, but it seems to maintain itself quite well.  The color output is incredible.  I'm thrilled with my purchase and would highly recommend this printer without hesitation to anyone.  The only thing that would make this printer better is if I could print from LR4.

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2012, 02:16:10 pm »

The only thing that would make this printer better is if I could print from LR4.

I print from LR4 on my 8300 with a Mac. The only thing I have not been able to do from LR, is print with the Black Ink Only options that are available in the Canon PS print plugin.

~ Jeff

http://artslidesboston.com

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2012, 01:00:19 pm »

Not sure if those who were still interested in the IPF8300 knew, but the promo on this printer is still going until they are out of stock.
Same discounts as last month.
$880 for trade-in printer (serial number needed only)
$1000 Mail-in via Canon's site

Any 36" or Wider Inkjet printer (excludes IPF8300)
Epson Stylus Pro 4000 Series (17" inkjet), Stylus Pro 7000 Series (24" inkjet),
HP Designjet Z2100, Z3100 and Z3200 (24" inkjet) printers.

Final price below $2000.

Feel free to contact us with any questions.
cwood@itsupplies.com
800-238-6050 x5583
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up