Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 3880 rear single sheet feed issues  (Read 15758 times)

ymc226

Epson 3880 rear single sheet feed issues
« on: July 29, 2012, 08:03:51 pm »

My rear single sheet feed stopped cooperating.

Just using a single sheet 8 1/2 x 11 sheet of Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta paper, it stopped loading correctly; either not loading with an error or the skew was amiss.  This is after I fed it into the slot with the side adjustment tab pressed gently to the edge of the paper.  Being this is a relatively new 3880, I have used about 20 sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 only but have not have any difficulties until now.  I removed the attachment and fed the sheets in manually but to no avail; the same error reading still occur.

Has anyone else had difficulty?  Using the ASF, it works perfectly.

robgo2

• Robert Goldstein Photography
Re: Epson 3880 rear single sheet feed issues
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 12:42:42 pm »

I regularly use the manual rear feeder on my 3880, and I have had very infrequent paper loading errors.  Usually this is solved by removing the paper and reinserting it, but  sometimes I have had to shut the printer down and re-boot it. 

Rob

ymc226

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 12:49:33 pm »

Thanks Rob,

I did re-feed it literally about 20 times and re-booted the printer 3 or 4 times.  I guess I'll try next time I print but if it recurs, I may have to forgo the manual rear sheet feeder.

Lisa Nikodym

• http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lisa_pictures/lisa_pictures.html
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 04:41:51 pm »

It's not just you - I've had a lot of paper feed problems for larger sheets (13"x19") with the 3800 & 3880.  Often it won't feed, and, when it does, it comes out significantly skewed.  This happens with both the main multi-sheet feeder and the rear single-sheet feeder.  I've gone through at least three 3800/3880 printers, and they all had these problems.

I almost never had paper feed problems with my various earlier models of Epson printers.  I'm starting to get very annoyed with the 38** line...

Lisa
[url=http://www.stanford.edu/~melkor/lis

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:37:42 pm »

I'll be the contrarian here.  In the 18 months I have had my 3880, I've maybe had five misfeeds with 13x19 paper.  I hold the paper at each edge and give a firm push until it gets taken up.  It takes a bit of practice to get the feeling for it but there hasn't been any issue here.  Previously, I had a 2880 which was far more fickle.  The one thing I always do is dust each sheet with a horsehair drafting brush to get and debris of the paper.  This keeps the rollers relatively clean.

hokuahi

• Artist, Photographer
    • Exhibition
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 07:52:12 pm »

Have you tried another paper type?  The Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta paper has been known to have curling, subtle or otherwise, that makes it a pain to load. 

AFairley

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 08:48:14 pm »

Data point: never any problems with rear feeding 17x22 Exhibition Fiber

ymc226

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 09:05:06 pm »

Have you tried another paper type?  The Hahnemuhle FineArt Baryta paper has been known to have curling, subtle or otherwise, that makes it a pain to load. 

I just bought the Canson Plantine but wanted to use up the Hahnemuhle first.  I tried to look down the back opening to see if there was "debris" causing the error but couldn't see anything.  Is there a way to clear or clean the rear feed mechanism?  Something that is appropriate for the end user?

ymc226

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 09:07:35 pm »

I'll be the contrarian here.  In the 18 months I have had my 3880, I've maybe had five misfeeds with 13x19 paper.  I hold the paper at each edge and give a firm push until it gets taken up.  It takes a bit of practice to get the feeling for it but there hasn't been any issue here.  Previously, I had a 2880 which was far more fickle.  The one thing I always do is dust each sheet with a horsehair drafting brush to get and debris of the paper.  This keeps the rollers relatively clean.

I did guide the sheet with a little pressure to make sure it fed correctly but it still read error.  I haven't had this problem with the next size I print, 13x19.  Maybe the 3880 has more trouble with smaller rather than larger paper sizes.

myc5

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 12:01:40 am »

I've had my 3880 for about 18 months. I too have had trouble using the rear feeder in the beginning, so much so, I thought it was broken. I then learned how to feed it and never get errors since I learned the technique. Here's what I do:

* Align the plastic guide up against the paper. I don't push the paper all the way down while doing this. I slide the paper up and down a bit making sure the guide isn't too tight against the paper as to hinder feeding yet not too loose to skew.

* Then gently push the 8.5x11 sheet of paper down with both hands until I feel resistance. This is where I learned makes all the difference. When I feel the resistance, I push (with equal pressure on left and right) the paper down harder until I feel it grab. Then let go. Pushing it down harder makes all the difference for me. If I don't do this it misfeeds and I have to eject it and start over.

With this technique I never have issues feeding any type of thicker 8.5 x 11 into the manual rear feeder.

If you still have trouble, try exchanging it at your retailer for another 3880.

ymc226

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:32:27 pm »

Thanks MYC5

I'll try this the next time I print.

pflower

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 03:19:06 pm »

I used to have problems, but recently have had close to 100% success.  you may think you are feeding with equal pressure on both sides but you may not be.  What I found useful is to open the top of the printer so that you can see how the paper is being fed into the path.  You can then see that it is skewing slightly to the left or right and then adjust on the next attempt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up