Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bye-bye Velvia ?!?!  (Read 3527 times)

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
Bye-bye Velvia ?!?!
« on: July 28, 2012, 01:53:02 am »

If your mind is attuned t

BJL

Velvia 50, 100 will continue to be distributed in 35mm and 120 formats
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:16:40 am »

The BJP headline is misleading: it is only Velvia 100F and the last sheet film forms of Velvia that have been discontinued. Velvia 100 is also unaffected.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:18:22 am by BJL »

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
Re: Bye-bye Velvia ?!?!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:12:06 pm »

I had an editor once who would rave about my chromes. She would ask (rhetorically) why her other photographers didn't bring her "stuff that looks like this". I told her a coulple of times it was just the film but she didn't seem to hear. So I decided to let her think whatever she wanted :D . Now if I could only figure out how to make digital look like Velvia!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:03:10 pm »

Hi,

I used Velvia a lot. I don't miss it and it was very difficult to scan.

There are profiles for Lightroom that fake the Velvia look, it's just that I always prefer a well processed raw image compared to scanned Velvia.

Velvia was a great film, but we are now in the digital era, let's learn to make best use of the new technology instead of dreaming about the old one.

Best regards
Erik

http://www.bjp-online.com/british-journal-of-photography/news/2193030/fujifilm-discontinues-two-professional-films

Always preferred Kodachrome, but have used Provia more than once...

Mike.
Erik Kaffehr

Sigi

• http://www.betterphoto.com/Premium/default.aspx?id=267034&mp=V2
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:11:10 pm »

I had an editor once who would rave about my chromes. She would ask (rhetorically) why her other photographers didn't bring her "stuff that looks like this". I told her a coulple of times it was just the film but she didn't seem to hear. So I decided to let her think whatever she wanted :D . Now if I could only figure out how to make digital look like Velvia!

Try DXO Filmpack

Petrus

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »

Now if I could only figure out how to make digital look like Velvia!

Get a Fuji X-Pro1 and use the Velvia preset...

I used a lot of KodaChrome 25, 50 and 64 pro in the eighties, then Velvia 50 (which I preferred) until the digital era. With the FF 35mm digital cameras we now have had for about 5 years or so, I do not miss those films at all.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 11:47:52 pm »

Gee guys. I wasn't complaining. Just sort of looking back. It does seem like my old Velvia chromes (mostly 6x7) are difficult to scan. As to the "digital replications", the ones I have tried seem to only boost saturation and add a slight green tinge. Velvia always seemed more complex than that. Otherwise Kodak's (mostly failed) attempts to compete with it would have been better. To me, Velvia was a special film with a unique look that really fit my work well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up