Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 105mm Polarizers for the 24mmTSE II  (Read 2283 times)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
105mm Polarizers for the 24mmTSE II
« on: July 26, 2012, 05:12:58 pm »

Hi all,

I've had a look through the forums, and have found some information on the below, but no specific answers.

I complete the majority of my work using the 24mmTSE II and the Pentax 645/35mm on a Zoerk Adapter.

I've been using an 82mm CP on these which works well, but I want to bring an element of flexibility into how I shoot.
I want to (possibly) combine a SE Grad + an ND filters behind a polarizer.
I'm contemplating purchasing this  or the lee 105mm polarizer to mount on my lee system with wide angle hood.

My main worry before spending a considerable amount of cash on these is vignetting at full shift.

Has anyone used a lee filter holder (wide angle mounting ring) on the 24mmTSEII with two filter slots and a 105mm polarizer on the front?
Is there any vignetting, or at what shift amount does vignetting begin?
Things will be different on the Zoerk/35mm combo I'm sure, but I'm less worried about that than the 24TSE.

The other option is to forgo the Grad, and use two 4x4 glass filters in the holder as is...

Any help/comments would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
Re: 105mm Polarizers for the 24mmTSE II
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 10:17:48 pm »

Hi there.

Has anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers
Andrew

Marlyn

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:54:14 pm »

Yes I have, there is slight to no Vignetting at fully shift from a 105mm LEE on 24mm TS, assuming you  do the following. (from memory)

1. Use a WA lens ring
2. Use a filter holder with only ONE filter holder.  From memory, 3 vignette, and I think 2 do as well, partially. (They move the polarizer far enough out to vignette.
3. Most of the Lens hoods cause it vignette at shift.  I dont' use them.

But I don't recommend it as a setup:

Personally, due to vignetting issues of the 105mm,  and that its cumbersome,  I went to using the square Polarizer in the lee holders, and it works much better.
I find I'm normally at max polarization if I  want to use one, OR I'm not using Grads, so I can rotate it.  It is incredibly rare for a situation for me where I want to A: set an in-between polarization setting AND use an ND grad at the same time.  In that case, I work somehting else out.

Regards

Mark.

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »

Hi Mark,

That is very detailed....Thankyou very much for the information.
So, if I'm restricted to using a single slot with the 105, how would this work differently from using two slots with a 4x4 rather than the 105.

ie
opt1:  ND in slot 1, Pol in slot 2
opt2:  ND in slot 1, 105pol on front.

My thought is that if I go with the second option, I have the flexibility of using a grad sometimes if I don't want to us the ND?
But I'm intrigued by how you find the 105 cumbersome.

Thanks again.
All the best.
Andrew
Pages: [1]   Go Up