Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tripod Recommendations  (Read 4576 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Tripod Recommendations
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:01:49 pm »

I have two tripods: an old Diawa that is sturdy and reliable and a rather cheesy no-name unit I inherited. The cheesy one has some features I like; clips for securing the legs (vs. twist-to-lock), a bubble level and a removable camera plate. I'm thinking that I should throw in the towel and purchase one good tripod.

What are the features that I should be looking for? What should I be expecting to pay?
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Tripod Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 01:47:15 pm »

This is a very useful article on how to buy a tripod. Wish I had seen it twenty years ago.

You'll get all kinds of answers. I've owned a dozen tripods over the years, and finally bought one that I actually like. For me, the important features are height -- high enough to use without a center column for a person 6+ feet in height; light weight - light enough that I'm willing to carry it; and ease of use -- I wanted something that felt good in the hand. I ended up with a Gitzo Series 3 and a Really Right Stuff ball head, but there are many good options.

Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Marlyn

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 02:26:25 pm »

If you can afford it, seriously consider the ReallyRightStuff tripods.

They aren't cheap, but they are unbelievably good. 

Regards

Mark

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 03:19:21 pm »

What are the features that I should be looking for? What should I be expecting to pay?

How are we supposed to answer your question without knowing something about what you need?  At least give us a hint of what you do photographically.  Tripods, like cars, are all over the price and feature spectrum.  Every purchase should start with a list of personal requirements and then you should do some research on your own.  And THEN if you have questions, ask away.  Rant mode off...

Okay, in fairness you did mention flip locks, a bubble level and a quick release plate.  There are many tripods with flip locks and bubble levels.  A quick release plate is usually part of the ball head which would (for anyone on these forums) be purchased separately.  Sorry, but I don't know what to tell you.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 05:54:19 pm »

Not knowing your specific needs, photographic or financial, I offer just general comments.

1. If money is not a concern, look at Gitzo or Really Right Stuff. There is a reason you see them so widely used. Go for carbon fiber.

2. I have a nice wooden tripod (mohogany legs and a paduk base for the head) that I sometimes use for my view camera. It was made for me by a friend who was a custom woodworker. It's beautiful, rock solid, extremely flexible, and heavy. I like it but use it very little.

3. My main tripod is a Bogan/Manfrotto 3021. That's the Bogan model # but Manfrotto still makes the same one with a different model number that I can't recall at the moment. I have two of them. They are reasonably light (better than my wooden one but not like carbon fiber), solid, simple in design, durable, easy to use in the field, versatile, and the best buy around. They are also stronger than you might think. Mine have been used frequently with my Pentax 67 and my view camera. My older one got pretty beat up when a horse decided to mash it between my leg and a tree. But I repaired it pretty quickly and went on. My leg took a little longer!  After many years of hard use, I semi-retired it and bought a new one.

Additionally I have a pan head if needed but mostly use a solid (Bogan) ball head with a hexagonal quick release. They also make a pistol grip type ball head that I thought looked weak until I tried one. I was impressed with it's strength and the very smooth, natural way it works. If I wanted another head (with a different quick release system) I'd buy that.

Hope this all helps. I wouldn't use anything else. but remember, these are my choices and may not suit your work well. A studio photographer, for instance, would make very different choices.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 05:59:34 pm by rgs »

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 02:06:39 am »

There is excellent info regarding picking a tripod and head on the Really Right Stuff web site. Whether you buy one of their products or not, you will learn...

Dale Villeponteaux

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 12:54:34 pm »

My avatar isn't an accurate portrayal; I have much less hair.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:47:12 pm »

Hi,

Excellent advice. Personally I have used Velbon 630 carbon fibre tripods and now I use a Gitzo GT3541LS and a Velbon Sherpa Pro 630. The heads I use are a RRS BH40, a RRS BH55 and the Arca Swiss D4.

What I would recommend is a solid CF tripod and Arca Swiss type QR. All my stuff is from RRS and I prefer their LR (lever) type Quick Release.

Quality wise I'm not that impressed with Gitzo and I guess that I would prefer RRS, but I bought my tripod before RRS made their ones.

I have also used the Acratech Ultimate Ballhead but did not like the QR for personal reasons, but I really loved it.

Keep in mind that a good head may be more important than a couple of nice legs.

Best regards
Erik

This may help:  http://www.bythom.com/support.htm
Erik Kaffehr

NancyP

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 05:10:20 pm »

Consider Feisol carbon fiber (CF) tripod legs for a slightly lower price very high quality set of legs without center column. I bought their largest size 3472, for use with long telephoto lens (400mm) and a ball head / half-gimbal combo (birds are the subject). The tripod is overkill for the relatively small lens, but I intend that this is the last one I buy.
Consider Induro legs also - they do not have a version without center column. I have a CF Induro monopod, very well made, relatively inexpensive.
My first tripod is a great beginner's tripod, the Manfrotto 055 line. It is aluminum, tends to vibrate under windy conditions, but is a good buy. It is a bit of a pain to hike with it, it being rather heavy. That's one reason I got the Feisol.

Considerations:
weight?
material?
height?
center column or not?
number of sections?
need to fit in airline-compliant bag?
compatible with leveling device / bowl or video bowl?

Look at the videos on Really Right Stuff "how to use a tripod", visit the Thom Hogan article already cited, visit www.dentonimages.com for a large number of articles explaining support including tripods and quick release systems and heads.

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:57:06 am »

OK. Thank you all. That is quite a lot of information to get going with. As for what do I need, I confess, I'm not sure. I haven't used a tripod that much. I tend to go with the 'brace and squeeze' technique, which I can do very well down to 1/15 second. I also use a bean bag quite a bit. And I have my two old, low grade tripods.

Looking forward, I'm doing more vides, which would imply considering a pan head. I'm doing more bracketing sequences. I dabble a litte in night shots. I do quite a lot of early morning / sunrise photography. (It's an east coast thing.) I don't hike much and I have my cheapo tripod, which is light for that use, but I don't do studio work at all.

I'll read the reference material recommended and see if I can figure this out.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 12:42:16 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up