Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Stopper availability  (Read 4961 times)

dwood

Big Stopper availability
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:41:47 pm »

Hi folks,

I'm wanting to try some long exposure work and have read some good stuff about the Big Stopper. Problem is, I can't locate anyone that has it in stock. If anyone knows of a retailer who has one, please chime in. I'd also be open to another product that any of you have had success with.

Best,
Doug

Jan Morales

• Jan Morales Photography
Re: Big Stopper availability
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 09:28:42 pm »

I really am perplexed at how hard it is to get Lee products, given how good they are. I had the Big Stopper in my B&H wish list for about two years, and I would check my wish list every couple of days. This past May it appeared as in stock and I jumped on it so now I have one. Now I have a 77mm adapter ring in my wish list (I need a second one) and I imagine I'll wait two years for that! Very frustrating...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 10:48:02 pm »

You might try:
http://www.2filter.com/

Ask for Andrea.  They are in contact with Lee at least once a week.  They might not have one in stock
but seem to be able to get the big stopper fairly quickly.  I just wish it came in the large 150mm size.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

stamper

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 04:25:34 am »

The B&W 10 stop does the job. One dealer but there are others. You have to screw this one on however.

http://www.morco.uk.com/b+w_filters_nd.htm

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 04:40:31 am »

You might try:
http://www.2filter.com/

Ask for Andrea.  They are in contact with Lee at least once a week.  They might not have one in stock
but seem to be able to get the big stopper fairly quickly.  I just wish it came in the large 150mm size.

Hi Paul,

Just wondering, why 150mm?

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 05:30:36 am »

So it fits in the larger Lee holder that can be used with lenses like the Nikon 14-24. I am still waiting for my big stopper (meanwhile I still have the Kodak Gel filters which are 13 & 14 stops). It should be in at the end of July.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 06:07:00 am »

So it fits in the larger Lee holder that can be used with lenses like the Nikon 14-24. I am still waiting for my big stopper (meanwhile I still have the Kodak Gel filters which are 13 & 14 stops). It should be in at the end of July.

I see. I do wonder about the amount of vignetting that it will create though. The oblique edge rays have a much longer path through the flat filter. On my unshifted TS-E 24mm that already causes significant vignetting, it must get much worse at even wider FOV angles. Given the nature of the noise in these long exposures, boosting the underexposed edges will most likely not look pretty.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

brianrybolt

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 06:55:02 am »

Morco is out of stock and a delivery date is unknown.  For details GoTo:  http://www.morco.uk.com/leepol.htm

They are a good company and very helpful.

Brian

dwood

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:08:20 am »

Thanks for the responses. I'll keep looking, and will also check out the B&W.

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 06:11:21 pm »

I have a Formatt -8 stop glass screw in. It's 77mm so I use stepper rings for smaller lenses. I bought it for about 1/3 of the price of the Big Stopper and, since it's a screw-in, no holder is needed (Lee's is pretty pricey even before you get the filter) and light leaks are not a concern.

This filter works well. They can be bought in any variation from -1 to -10 and you can stack them so you can buy two or three lighter filters and mix them as needed without fear of light leaks. You should include screw-ins in your evaluation.  
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 06:12:52 pm by rgs »

dwood

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 06:18:29 pm »

Thanks, Richard. I'll check that out.

Dustbak

• Pepperanddust
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 05:14:50 am »

You could also get the Kodak Gel. The 13 stops ND4.0 will be very difficult but the ND3.0 (10 stops should be doable). Advantage is that it will fit in your Lee Holder. You do have to get a gel holder.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/529184-REG/Kodak_192_4810_4x4_100mm_96_Neutral.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up