Ugh. Black Satin canvas not available from my supplier. I ordered a roll of the Epson Ex. Canvas Satin. Does anyone have a guess as to the closest icc profile that I could use from the Epson site? Premium Canvas Satin for the 4880 maybe? They don't have anything for this canvas for my 9800. Or any profiles for the 9800 anymore. No time to have a custom profile made for some prints I have to make. How does the Epson canvas react to rolling on Glamour II? Does it need to be sprayed? Thanks for any suggestions.
Ahem. Gee, I wonder if the 9800 Crystalline profiles from BC would be pretty close? But I bet the the Epson built 9880 ones are pretty good, too.
Yes, gotta coat. Ex Can Sat has all the foibles of every other glossy canvas that you don't have to coat, including that you have to coat it.
I strip up about 30 square feet of canvas on a 4x8 board, foamcore or Coroplast will do. I mix up Glam II at 1:1. I weigh the loaded gun. I back out the nozzle pin not very much, only about 1 turn on my old style Fuji gun. Spray a test pattern on some dark material, like a piece of black Gator scrap. 8 or 9 inches wide. If all is well, I switch into Tai Chi mode and spray vertical passes on the canvas, moving the gun at almost exactly 1 foot per second (I use a metronome). I advance the gun 4 inches to the left, and continue. It's important that the spray lands on the canvas wet, but dries almost immediately. You don't want to be spraying tacky paint dust, which gives a crud coating, but OTOH don't soak the canvas! Crossing an 8 foot wide board, the starting side will be at most a little tacky by the time I finish spraying the left side. I weigh the gun again to insure that I have sprayed pretty close to 4 ml per square foot of diluted GII, of which 2ml would be the original concentrate.
The weighing thing is a little fastidious, but it helps at the beginning to get the spray density right.
Warning...GII is strong solvent for Glossy canvases! You don't want really wet coating hanging around on the canvas for more than a minute or two after spraying. On the 8300 blues and violets are most vulnerable, and will puddle under persistently wet coating. But have had zero problems with the above technique and I really do like the surface that is produced. Under normal circumstances such thin coats can produce a kind of gloss differential on matte canvas when viewed from the side, but for whatever reason GII levels like a champ on the glossy canvases and I have never seen a hint otherwise.
And of course, once that initial coat is dry you go back and add more if you wish. But I don't think it's really necessary.
Oh, rolling on Epson Gloss (and Satin) dissolves the image in a couple seconds. Any more questions about that?
