Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which "sensor" with Spectraview bundled software is more accurate  (Read 2928 times)

Yachting_photographer

To all:
Thoughts on X-Rite  I1Pro "puck" vs. Spyder 3Elite "puck" using the bundled Spectraview software to calibrate a new NEC Spectraview 241. I own the Spyder 3 Elite, is it worth purchasing the X-Rite Pro puck?  Review of forum threads leads me to believe that the previous comparisons were done using the software packages bundled with each puck. I suppose that what I'm really asking is whether one of the two sensors when used with the Spectraview software is more (significantly) accurate than the other.  Thoughts would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Yachting_photographer

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Which "sensor" with Spectraview bundled software is more accurate
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 08:29:30 am »

Hi,

My impression is that a bundled colorimeter is generally preferable., because it can match the vendors 'phosphors' exactly.

Best regards
Erik

To all:
Thoughts on X-Rite  I1Pro "puck" vs. Spyder 3Elite "puck" using the bundled Spectraview software to calibrate a new NEC Spectraview 241. I own the Spyder 3 Elite, is it worth purchasing the X-Rite Pro puck?  Review of forum threads leads me to believe that the previous comparisons were done using the software packages bundled with each puck. I suppose that what I'm really asking is whether one of the two sensors when used with the Spectraview software is more (significantly) accurate than the other.  Thoughts would be most appreciated.
Thanks,
Yachting_photographer
Erik Kaffehr

artobest

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 09:21:24 am »

I've used both with my Spectraview Reference 271. The Spyder3Elite gave a surprisingly good result with this display, given that it had really struggled with my previous display, a Spectraview 2690. The strange thing to me is that the new Display Pro seems to give a cooler result with my monitor with the same settings, but I would say the darker tones are more neutral overall with this new puck. Incidentally, my old i1 Display2 also works very well with these wide-gamut displays.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 09:26:06 am »

The strange thing to me is that the new Display Pro seems to give a cooler result with my monitor with the same settings,

No unexpected at all. That is why one needs to tweak all calibration aim points to a desired result (usually a visual match to a print). Also not unexpected is for the same instrument to produce different results when driven by different software (on the same display). In a prefect world, all vendors instruments would produce the same results. They don’t!

To answer the OP, if you can, get the bundled colorimeter (which is the newer EyeOne Display Pro).
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up