Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bubbles on my print when spraying with Timeless  (Read 2362 times)

Kanvas Keepsakes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 350
Bubbles on my print when spraying with Timeless
« on: July 13, 2012, 02:24:32 am »

Hey guys got a quick question I hope you experts can help me with.  I've been spraying for some time now using my Wagner HVLP system and in the beginning everything seemed to be ok.  Now it seems as I spray I occasionally get a couple of bubbles appear on the canvas as I spray.  As soon as I throw air to pop them they pop but then I'm left with the edge of the bubble still on the canvas so if you look closely it almost looks like a pin hole.  BC says it's too much spray.  I've minimized the spray and gotten same results.  I thought it was my spray system so I ordered a new gun and seem to be getting same issue.  Attached is a picture of two small bubbles on my canvas that popped right away and left their mark.  I like'd the results that Glamour II gave me although I hate the way gloss makes the canvas look under light.  Sometimes you cant even see the picture if light is facing the canvas which is why I use Satin Timeless.  Any other suggestions on other coating to use that won't give me this problem?  Or is this just me with a wrong technique?  Thanks for the help in advanced guys. 
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
Re: Bubbles on my print when spraying with Timeless
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 02:30:14 am »

I always spray a light coat of Timeless first, which helps prime the surface and seal it a bit.  I can still get tiny bubbles if I apply to much coating, as I think that they are the result of tiny air bubbles that are released from within the grain of the canvas.  Timeless doesn't have the same leveling agents as Glamour, so it is less forgiving in that respect.  I prefer one light coat and two moderate coats, and never seem to get bubbles with that approach.  Timeless is a bit more finicky, but I think far superior in terms of protection, so it is worth it.
Logged
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Kanvas Keepsakes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 350
Re: Bubbles on my print when spraying with Timeless
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:37:38 am »

Thanks Ron I'm gonna try that approach.  One thing, Ron.  When you spray the moderate coats on is it a good amount that actually makes the canvas look wet or are they coats that kind of make the canvas look shiny yet not drenched?
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
Re: Bubbles on my print when spraying with Timeless
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 02:53:35 am »

I strive for the point between individual atomized droplets of material and a cohesive sheet of liquid coating.  I spray vertically, and try to put just enough on that the coating has no appreciable gaps in each layer, but not enough that I get much bridging of texture or any sags.  I recently got a turbine based HVLP system instead of a compressor based spray gun, and it is much easier to hit the sweet spot of how much material with the new setup, as the pattern is so broad and even.
Logged
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com

Kanvas Keepsakes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 350
Re: Bubbles on my print when spraying with Timeless
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 03:25:31 pm »

Ron how long do you wait between coats of Timeless? 
Logged

Colorwave

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1006
    • Colorwave Imaging
Re: Bubbles on my print when spraying with Timeless
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2012, 03:39:05 pm »

I only wait until the coat is tack free, which is generally just a few minutes.  The coats bond well to one another, and as long as you give them enough drying time afterward, there is no issue that I've run into with this method.  Prints can be handled within an hour or less, but make sure to give it longer before you roll it up with tissue, as that can sometimes stick (although a damp cloth will remove any residue that sticks).  Things dry pretty quickly in Hawaii, but I try to wait overnight before stretching, unless I'm in a pinch and have to speed the drying up by placing it in the sun.  I pushpin the prints to hollow core doors for spraying, so it is easy to move them around, as needed, for the spraying and drying process.
Logged
-Ron H.
[url=http://colorwaveimaging.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up