Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade Issues with X-rite i1Pro 2 - Happy Ending  (Read 3694 times)

samueljohnchia

Upgrade Issues with X-rite i1Pro 2 - Happy Ending
« on: July 11, 2012, 04:21:34 am »

Hi Everyone,

This is my first hi  :) I have been lurking around the lula forums here for a number of years now. I'll leave a short intro about myself at the end for anyone who is interested.

The story is I have the original i1 Pro for about 4 years now, and have always been dissatisfied with the profiles from the i1Match software that it is licensed for. I played with Argyll a bit for display calibration and characterization but never tried printer profiling because it was so unintuitive to me. I decided to take a plunge and splashed out some for the i1Publish Pro 2 Upgrade B. I bought it from Amazon USA, and had a friend bring it back to me in Singapore, where I live. He trashed the box cover because it was too bulky to bring back. X-rite's website says that the upgrade code is inside the box. I have no way of verifying if there is any code on the packaging, but I certainly never found any activation code printed anywhere in the case containing the device and accessories. So I thought 'whatever' and went ahead, downloaded i1Publish 1.3.2, plugged in my old device and new device, and hit the transfer license button. That was when I saw the first error message.

"A failure was found trying to swap dongle flags. Error: failed to parse server message"

Basically what ensued is my original i1Pro was left without license and nothing was transferred to the i1Pro 2. I couldn't use i1Match, and the modules in i1Profiler were functioning in demo mode only, irregardless of which device was plugged in. I sent an email to X-rite USA asking for help on this. I waited all of Monday and had no reply, so I sent another plea for help to X-rite Switzerland. I was soon told that my old i1Pro has no license so far (how is that possible, because it has been the dongle for my i1Match software for 4 years??) and cannot be transferred. I was told to use the upgrade code that came with my product box, upgrade the old device, and then I can transfer the license to the new device. I replied that I cannot find the codes in the box, and I wanted to perform a manual activation. I was told no way. I have to contact my dealer if an item is missing (?!). I replied again that I just needed to do a manual activation, and I was declined support from X-rite Switzerland. They claimed that there is no other way than to contact the dealer, because they cannot verify what was delivered and in case what is missing. I nearly exploded when I got this load of crap. I provided the serial numbers, dongle flags and registration codes of my devices and surely X-rite can ascertain that my hardware is genuine!

Tuesday night, X-rite USA responded. They asked for the devices' serial numbers, discovered that some strange bug had stopped the license transfer, and gave me new activation codes for manual activation. Job done, happy X-rite i1Pro 2 user again! X-rite Switzerland has a thing or two to learn about customer support.

P.S. I am a nature photographer living in Singapore, and I enjoy photographing wild landscapes most. I also run a fine art printing service,  in a home studio environment. Making photos of wild landscapes in Singapore is impossible, because it is a city country (google Singapore if you are interested). But I have found little pockets where one can find solace, like a secret garden. These are getting increasingly rare. Most of the places that I've been to have been transformed so much by development. I am working to get a website of my images up.

Local support and knowledge for high-end color management equipment is very poor which was why I decided to buy my X-rite stuff from the US. For the record, my Amazon purchase was only 1649usd, and I would have to fork out over 2800usd to buy it from a local dealer. Oh well.. Take care everyone.
Pages: [1]   Go Up