Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Whose Picture?  (Read 9240 times)

Rob C

Whose Picture?
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:26:05 pm »

"Sometimes I do get to places just when
God's ready to have somebody click the shutter".

Ansel Adams

I kinda rest my case regarding creativity and much landscape photography, stated elsewhere in this august journal...

Maybe it'll be accepted coming, as it apparently does, from the saintly lips themselves? Or maybe it was just a bad day. Oh all ye denizens of the studio - cheer up, your time is nigh!

;-)

Rob C

Isaac

Re: Whose Picture?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:39:49 pm »

Sometimes is not always. Sometimes is not even often.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:28 am »

Sometimes is not always. Sometimes is not even often.

Ain't that the truth.

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 03:57:37 am »

Pendantically speaking (a common trait in some threads), you are both right; what I see in the words of the 'saint' is the thin edge of a very fat wedge. I think the man displayed an honesty most hide, not only in that genre but in many.

But shucks, gotta believe in something, so why not yourselves, even when you know better?

Rob C

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 11:44:33 am »

Even you denizens of the studio have help from God - after all, He did create your models.  ;D

Sharon

Evidently, that's not good enough considering all the photoshopping that takes place.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

theguywitha645d

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 03:57:27 pm »

Evidently, that's not good enough considering all the photoshopping that takes place.

He created software engineers too...

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 04:00:14 pm »

This afternoon, after my ritual walk, I was so hot that I could hardly think, so I decided to play again a Sierra Club film that I have on DVD about Ansel Adams.

Trying to keep in mind the gist of this thread, and to cut through the while the drone of John Sczarkowski’s commentary, jumping from his voice to others adding their ten cents, it seemed to come over pretty firmly that Adams, far from having the slightest interest in being ‘creative’ was bending over himself in order to try and catch what was in front of him on the several epiphanic moments that affected him most deeply on his hikes and climbs. He was searching to record the literal truth before him.

During the entire run of the film, nothing was mentioned about Zone Systems nor of any other technical trickery or conceit beyond the trend-setting (for him) red filter he almost accidentally decided to use at the end of a shoot up Half Dome, El Capitan or some other rock of disproportionate mass – I forget which (it was a hot afternoon – mine). Odd how often accident seems to play its role (Moonrise – Hernandez?)… kind of fits in with my own theory about landscape photography. However, there were several shots of darkroom work going on, and if the film is to be believed, much shading and burning-in was involved, regardless of any imagined perfection of exposure of negatives! Seems a contradiction lies therein.

What also came across – possibly a crumb of comfort for mere mortals – he was stretched for money right up into his mid-seventies when he met a guy who marketed him and parted the Red Sea.

So, all in all, I conclude that at least one of the icons of our world never seems to have made any claims about creative shooting nor creativity of any form, but certainly paid his dues, working every day of the year except when ill.

It is said that the harder you work the luckier you get.

His early love was music, and after many years of study, his natural talent wasn’t enough to sustain him in the pursuit; a quotation from a letter to his wife-to-be was to the effect that music was wonderful but that the musical world was one built from solid crap. I wonder how he’d have viewed the photographic ‘art’ world of today.

Rob C
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 04:01:45 pm by Rob C »

Isaac

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 05:22:08 pm »

... far from having the slightest interest in being ‘creative’ was bending over himself in order to try and catch what was in front of him on the several epiphanic moments that affected him most deeply on his hikes and climbs. He was searching to record the literal truth before him.

Perhaps to record the truth he saw - but, no, not the literal truth of what was in front of him.

Quote from: Ansel Adams
Many consider my photographs to be in the "realistic" category. Actually, what reality they have is in their optical-image accuracy; their values are definitely "departures from reality." The viewer may accept them as realistic because the visual effect may be plausible, but if it were possible to make direct visual comparison with the subjects, the differences would be startling.

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 05:12:53 am »

There's no conflict: the differences, apart from the obvious limitations of the optical factors, are all about printing, which has bugger all to do with creativity at the time of capture, which is what creative photography is supposedly all about. (Considering HC-B seldom had any interest in printing his own work, I suggest he would have agreed.)

You  might as well claim that if you give an AA neg to fiteeen different printers, then you get fifteen different, creative, works of art. You don't: you get fifteen prints from fifteen printers of different skill levels and with fifteen different perceptions of what's correct or expected from them. That's not creativity - that's just how things are.

Having had dogs for many years, I realise full well that when they find a stick on the beach, they are perfectly happy to have you play tug-o-war with them; I tire of the game before the pooches do.

Rob C

Isaac

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 11:49:38 am »

There's no conflict: the differences, apart from the obvious limitations of the optical factors, are all about printing...
Only if you choose to forget you noticed use of filters.

Rob C

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 03:46:53 pm »

Filters?

Rob, perhaps you need to stop throwing that stick?

Woof! Woof! Eeeeooooow!

;-)

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 05:07:27 pm »

This afternoon, after my ritual walk, I was so hot that I could hardly think, so I decided to play again a Sierra Club film that I have on DVD about Ansel Adams.

Trying to keep in mind the gist of this thread, and to cut through the while the drone of John Sczarkowski’s commentary, jumping from his voice to others adding their ten cents, it seemed to come over pretty firmly that Adams, far from having the slightest interest in being ‘creative’ was bending over himself in order to try and catch what was in front of him on the several epiphanic moments that affected him most deeply on his hikes and climbs. He was searching to record the literal truth before him.

Rob C

Hi Rob...I think you would really enjoy a book , a 2001 paperbook copy of which I recently found myself with the hours to read. If you would like a very enjoyable look behind the curtain, I would be glad to post off to you my copy of "Ansel Adams   Letters 1916-1984" Even the letters between John Szarkowski (during his Museum of Modern Art tenure), and Ansel give a very distinct counterpoint to what was publicly expressed. If you provide an address I will see you have it to read as I don't know that there are copies easily available.
My best to you,
ACW
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 04:30:35 am »

Hi Patricia

I've sent you a personal message - I'm afraid you'll rece¡ve it twice!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 09:36:39 am »

Hi Patricia -

I've just picked up your Ansel book from my PO box in the Port of P; I must thank you and let you know you are truly a special person: that postage alone would have made me change my mind about doing anyone a good deed! Thanks again, and if I go offline for a while, everyone will know whom to blame - or thank, depending on one's point of view.

Should you ever grace this isle, I owe you a very good lunch! I shall rephrase that: I already owe you a good lunch; if you blow in here at some stage, then I shall repay my debt.

Again, thanks!

;-)

Rob C

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 01:02:01 pm »

Excellent Rob , glad it arrived. Please enjoy it as a leisurely somnambulation from one attention to another in no
particular order....
Luff,
p.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:04:31 pm by Patricia Sheley »
A common woman~
Pages: [1]   Go Up