Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Want Suggestions for Digital "Platform" for Legacy Lenses  (Read 1613 times)

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
Want Suggestions for Digital "Platform" for Legacy Lenses
« on: July 03, 2012, 10:41:19 am »

My current "arsenal" comprises a circa 2005 Sony DSC-R1 with a 10 mega pixel CMOS sensor and a lovely fixed Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar zoom lens, which takes fine photos but weighs a ton, and two Panasonic Lumix Micro Four Thirds cameras, with native (Panasonic/Olympia) zoom lenses.  More relevant to this query, however, is my currently preferred use of the M43 cameras with legacy 35mm film lenses.  However, the M43 cameras have smaller 12 mega pixel sensors.

Through evolution of my photo-taking practices and interests (which include various techniques of panorama stitching), I find my current needs have become quite simple(!) and basic.  What I need is a digital "platform" (camera) on which I can mount 35mm film lenses (with adapters) but which has a larger sensor with more mega pixels than I have access to at present.  And which, hopefully, needn't cost an arm and a leg.  And I really would prefer handling the focusing and exposure manually.  Other of the usual, current bells and whistles I not only don't need, but don't even want (but know will likely be installed in all current "platforms" anyway).

I will welcome any suggestions for models of digital cameras currently on the market, either new or (preferably) used.   
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
Re: Want Suggestions for Digital "Platform" for Legacy Lenses
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:26:42 pm »

While I (disappointingly) received no responses to this earlier query, I ultimate came across Sean Reid's article on his excellent site, entitled "Sony NEX 5n and Ricoh A12 Lens Mount As Bodies For Rangefinder Camera Lenses," which quite answered my problem and needs.  I've ordered a Sony NEX 5n, which should do the trick.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

EinstStein

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:50:31 pm »

Wish you like it.

However, I have a little different suggestion. In terms of cross platform adapting, Canon EOS has a lot of advantage. You can almost adapt any lens systems to it, whether it's Leica R, Zeiss Contax-Yashica, or Hasselblad V. It has optical viewfinder (the number ne reason I can't live with M43 and Nex. Make sure you have the version with live-view focus assist. I've done that before live-view is available.  It's a no no. EOS was not designed for fine manual focus.

Nikon may be another choice. Again I tried long time ago, for a period of time, Nikon can't fire with the foreign lens even with the right lens adapter. Now probably OK.

The last is Sony A560 or A580. You can put leica R but not Contax-Yashica. The good thing is it has on-body vibration compensation.

Just for fun, I've tried Fujifilm Xpro-1, but found its optical finder is not really useful, although it does equiped with one. With Xpro-1, the EVF is still the choice.

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 12:45:39 am »

Wish you like it.

However, I have a little different suggestion. In terms of cross platform adapting, Canon EOS has a lot of advantage. You can almost adapt any lens systems to it, whether it's Leica R, Zeiss Contax-Yashica, or Hasselblad V. It has optical viewfinder (the number ne reason I can't live with M43 and Nex. Make sure you have the version with live-view focus assist. I've done that before live-view is available.  It's a no no. EOS was not designed for fine manual focus.

Nikon may be another choice. Again I tried long time ago, for a period of time, Nikon can't fire with the foreign lens even with the right lens adapter. Now probably OK.

The last is Sony A560 or A580. You can put leica R but not Contax-Yashica. The good thing is it has on-body vibration compensation.

Just for fun, I've tried Fujifilm Xpro-1, but found its optical finder is not really useful, although it does equiped with one. With Xpro-1, the EVF is still the choice.

As I've already ordered the NEX 5n and prefer a camera smaller to those other excellent ones you recommend, I am now pretty well locked in.  But thanks for your suggestions.
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:

Pingang

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 12:02:48 pm »

I vote for SONY NEX for smaller package!
Canon EOS for larger package!

Pingang
Pages: [1]   Go Up