Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dell U3011 monitor suitability  (Read 4037 times)

johnbirch

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
    • Jeff Hildebrand Photography
Dell U3011 monitor suitability
« on: July 01, 2012, 06:48:29 pm »

I am looking for a 27 or 30 inch screen that is suitable for photo editing.  I was going to buy the NEC PA271, but the price for the Dell U3011 is too hard to ignore.  From what I read it looks like a good screen with acceptable color accuracy when calibrated.  The only thing I am concerned about is that in a review on tftcentral, I noticed that the lowest the brightness goes down to is 128 cd/m^2.  From what I understand, you want to use it at 90 cd/m^2 so your prints don't come out too dark.  I do a lot of printing, so will this make a difference?

Does anyone use a Dell U3011 for photo editing?  How does it work?

Also, if I go with the NEC, should I purchase the spectraview?  I currently use a spyder 3 on my Dell U2410 and it works good.  Would there be any advantage to the spectraview?

Thanks,

Jeff
Logged

Tony Jay

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2965
Re: Dell U3011 monitor suitability
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 08:09:56 pm »

Jeff, I do not know a lot about the Dell per se but if what you have said is true about the minimum brightness is true that will definately impact on printing. Depending on the surrounds in which you edit it is more than likely that any prints will come out too dark.

With regard to the NEC Spectraview monitors I can vouch for the quality and applicability for photographic editing.
As to a puck to use for calibrating these monitors support Spyder 3 so there is no issue there.

In my humble opinion - go with the NEC.

Regards

Tony Jay
Logged

Onslow

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 216
Re: Dell U3011 monitor suitability
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 09:36:37 pm »

I agree with the NEC. My NEC is set to 90 cd/m^2. The spectraview software is superb. It makes changing between color profiles easy...

For me, It's a no brainer now that I have seen the combination working.
Logged
Cheers

Onslow

johnbirch

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 15
    • Jeff Hildebrand Photography
Re: Dell U3011 monitor suitability
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 02:00:38 pm »

Thanks for the advice, the NEC it is.  If I order the monitor without the spectraview option, can I use my spyder 3 with the spectraview software?

From what I understand, the spectraview software addresses the monitor hardware directly, and the spyder software uses the video card.  Is one method better than the other?

Thanks,

Jeff
Logged

Tony Jay

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2965
Re: Dell U3011 monitor suitability
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 06:06:02 pm »

You can use the Spyder 3 puck with the Spectraview software.
Do not use the Spyder software.

Regards

Tony Jay
Logged

kers

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4602
    • Pieter Kers
Re: Dell U3011 monitor suitability
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 05:15:52 am »

Surely the NEC is the better monitor.. Still i find myself working the last 4 years on a Dell 30Inch 3007 or 3008 that costed in those days about a 1000€.
I must say it works really well and all colors are well within limits after calibration and stay that way. Very stable..
It is calibrated on 5800 K and 90 cd/square m ;so yes it is possible.
Also the gamut is about Adobe RGB...
I think the NEC will win the contest having a more even illumination.. My corners are a tiny bit darker ...

Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up