Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to force "edit with Lightroom adjustments" when editing in CS5  (Read 10366 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography

I am using Lightroom 4.1, since the Lightroom was updated and supports RAW files from the X-Pro 1 and CS5 does not, when I try and edit a raw file from the X-Pro 1 in CS5, it opens photoshop CS5 immediately and nothing happens. My understanding is that it should say something along the lines of the camera raw in different and give me the option to send it with the lightroom adjustments and then open it in photoshop. Is there a way I can force the dialog box to come up and let me send it to CS5 with the current adjustments from Lightroom? I would rather not have to export each time I make a few adjustments in Lightroom and then want to go back to CS5. Yes I should upgrade to CS6 but I have not gotten around to it. It appears that the opening of the raw files is a bug in either Lightroom or how CS5 camera raw interacts, I suspect that this is a problem with Lightroom not checking the camera raw version. If I export the raw file to a DNG, it opens the file directly and does not ask about whether or not I want the Lightroom adjustments. Also it does not open it in camera raw, even as a smart object.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 03:13:38 am by snoleoprd »
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Tony Jay

Re: How to force "edit with Lightroom adjustments" when editing in CS5
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 05:18:00 am »

Alan, this issue is not a bug.

One needs synchronised versions of Lr and ACR.
Thus Lr4.1 needs Ps6 with an appropriate version of ACR.

Converting to DNG sidesteps the problem.

Regards

Tony Jay

Costas

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 07:44:36 am »

......  My understanding is that it should say something along the lines of the camera raw in different and give me the option to send it with the lightroom adjustments and then open it in photoshop. Is there a way I can force the dialog box to come up and let me send it to CS5 with the current adjustments from Lightroom? ...... Alan

I suspect at some point you might have ticked the box in that prompt saying "dont show" this prompt again, so you need to go back to the default. Not sure where to look for that specific prompt, but start with
Edit / preferences / general

under prompts, reset "all warning dialogues" button might do it

kaelaria

• http://www.bgpictures.com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:22:21 am »

Edit / preferences / general

under prompts, reset "all warning dialogues" button might do it

That's exactly what to do.  From then on choose render with lightroom, an do not click open anyway nor check the box to not show again.

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:10:58 pm »

Thanks for all the replies. I reset the warnings, no change. I have also tried it on my laptop as well as my desktop, same thing. If I make it a DNG it will open it directly but not give the dialog box for editing with the adjustments nor does it open it in camera raw. I went back to some of my 5DmII files and it does not give the option to open with the adjustments, it just opens it. Something is odd, or I am having a really huge senior moment, I thought I have often edited files that I have changed and opening them with the adjustments, for some reason none of this is working as I remember it. Maybe I am going crazy. I had thought that one of the options if the ps camera raw did not support the file was that lightroom would give you the option of opening a copy with the lightroom adjustments, which is what I want to do. I seem to remember doing this before.

Thanks,
Alan

Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

Bryan Conner

• My Flickr page
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 12:25:51 pm »

You must have ACR 7.1 in order to open any raw files from the FUJI X1 pro.  Unless of course the files have been converted into DNG format. 

stamper

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:59 am »

Thanks for all the replies. I reset the warnings, no change. I have also tried it on my laptop as well as my desktop, same thing. If I make it a DNG it will open it directly but not give the dialog box for editing with the adjustments nor does it open it in camera raw. I went back to some of my 5DmII files and it does not give the option to open with the adjustments, it just opens it. Something is odd, or I am having a really huge senior moment, I thought I have often edited files that I have changed and opening them with the adjustments, for some reason none of this is working as I remember it. Maybe I am going crazy. I had thought that one of the options if the ps camera raw did not support the file was that lightroom would give you the option of opening a copy with the lightroom adjustments, which is what I want to do. I seem to remember doing this before.

Thanks,
Alan

I was wondering about this myself. In another forum it was stated that the option was dropped when the final version of LR was created because it wasn't needed. I can't for the life of me remember why but it was a conscious decision by Adobe.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 09:29:23 am »

I reset the warnings, no change. I have also tried it on my laptop as well as my desktop, same thing. If I make it a DNG it will open it directly but not give the dialog box for editing with the adjustments nor does it open it in camera raw.

Alan, the issue is, you have an older version of Photoshop, and thus ACR than LR. LR4.1 supports your camera ‘natively’, meaning you don’t have to convert to DNG. But ACR in your older version of Photoshop doesn’t. If you had CS6, it would. When you ask LR to ‘Edit in Photoshop’, it is the currently installed version that uses it’s current version of ACR to render the raw.

You have a couple of options:

1. Upgrade to CS6 (then you have parity between ACR 7 and LR 4).
2. Convert to DNG
3. Use the Export command in LR4 so LR renders the raw to a TIFF or PSD, then open that in the older version of Photoshop.

Using a newer set of rendering instructions (LR4) but forcing an older version of ACR (6) to render into Photoshop isn’t a good idea.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 09:31:47 am »

Thanks a lot everyone for the responses. Very much appreciated. I will get off my butt and get around to doing the upgrade.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

stamper

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:44:06 am »

3. Use the Export command in LR4 so LR renders the raw to a TIFF or PSD, then open that in the older version of Photoshop.

Using a newer set of rendering instructions (LR4) but forcing an older version of ACR (6) to render into Photoshop isn’t a good idea.
[/quote]

Rodney could explain this a little more? I exported an image to the hard drive as per 3. I also done the latter bit of advice and tried to, to the best of my ability, compare the two versions, without any further processing, and I couldn't see any difference between them.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 12:17:40 pm »

)
Rodney could explain this a little more? I exported an image to the hard drive as per 3. I also done the latter bit of advice and tried to, to the best of my ability, compare the two versions, without any further processing, and I couldn't see any difference between them.

ACR is going to render the data when you use the Edit In command. Your copy of ACR is older than your copy of LR. Your copy of ACR for example doesn’t provide the new PV2012 right?  You don’t see the same sets of sliders. So the alternative to updating ACR is to let LR proper render the data using the Export command. Depending on the current image and settings in LR, you might not see any differences. For example, a legacy image imported prior to LR4, unless updated by you, will be using PV2010.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Simon Garrett

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 01:33:58 pm »

There is a way to force LR to create a new TIF, stacked with the original, and edit that - even with Photoshop.  It's a bit clunky.

In external edit options (Edit menu, Preferences, External Editing), you create a new "Additional Editor" for Photoshop.  You can have any number of "Additional Editors".  Click "Choose", navigate to where Photoshop is (on my PC it's something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe").  Then choose whatever options you want (TIF/PSD/JPEG, working space etc) and in the "Preset" drop-down list choose "Save current settings as new preset" and name it "Photoshop new" or whatever. 

That "Additional Editor" preset will then always offer you the option to work on a copy. 

aduke

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 02:07:23 pm »

There is a way to force LR to create a new TIF, stacked with the original, and edit that - even with Photoshop.  It's a bit clunky.

In external edit options (Edit menu, Preferences, External Editing), you create a new "Additional Editor" for Photoshop.  You can have any number of "Additional Editors".  Click "Choose", navigate to where Photoshop is (on my PC it's something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe").  Then choose whatever options you want (TIF/PSD/JPEG, working space etc) and in the "Preset" drop-down list choose "Save current settings as new preset" and name it "Photoshop new" or whatever. 

That "Additional Editor" preset will then always offer you the option to work on a copy. 

This procedure did not work for my system of Windows 7 64-bit, LR4.1 and CS5.1. When I tried to make a new external editor that called for starting CS5.1, LR told me that that already existed as the standard. When I told it to do it anyway, it still refused to work correctly.

So, I then went to Preferences>General>Reset all warning dialogs, selected a PV2012 image, used Edit In Adobe Photoshop CS5.1. I got a dialog asking me to choose between "render in LR" and a couple of other choices. I clicked the "do not show this again" check-box and chose render in LR.
All is well again.

Alan

Simon Garrett

« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2012, 02:22:38 pm »

This procedure did not work for my system of Windows 7 64-bit, LR4.1 and CS5.1. When I tried to make a new external editor that called for starting CS5.1, LR told me that that already existed as the standard. When I told it to do it anyway, it still refused to work correctly.

Odd.  I've just done that myself, and successfully created a new "Additional Editor" pointing to Photoshop (also W7 64-bit, LR4.1 and CS5.1).  However, now you mention it, I think I had that problem before, and created a short-cut called "Photoshop copy" pointing to Photoshop.  But I didn't have to do it just now. 

So, I then went to Preferences>General>Reset all warning dialogs, selected a PV2012 image, used Edit In Adobe Photoshop CS5.1. I got a dialog asking me to choose between "render in LR" and a couple of other choices. I clicked the "do not show this again" check-box and chose render in LR.
All is well again.
If you have clicked the "do not show this again" box then I thought that next time it would take the "open in PS anyway" option without warning you. 

aduke

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 07:56:38 pm »

If you have clicked the "do not show this again" box then I thought that next time it would take the "open in PS anyway" option without warning you. 

As far as I can tell, having checked "don't ask again", it repeats the originally chosen action.

Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up