Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ...the Wave...  (Read 6124 times)

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
...the Wave...
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:07:34 pm »

...as seen from a pier in Durban...more images from my trip to the Natal beaches here at...http://www.ivanmuller.co.za/blog-item/thompsons-beach

popnfresh

Re: ...the Wave...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 02:55:19 pm »

I like this one. It conveys an unsettling sense of the vast emptiness of the sea and man's insignificance in relation to it. And I like the color palette overall.

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:33:30 pm »

Thanks, you say it much better than I could hope to...

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:30:23 pm »

LIke this a lot; makes me feel yet again that the Med doesn't seem to offer the same effects as seas with tides, despite getting as rough as any when it suits it.

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 07:52:41 pm »

Ivan this is a really good image.

I am surprised though that you were able to shoot directly out to sea and not capture half a dozen ships awaiting entry into the harbour!

Well done.

Regards

Tony Jay

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 09:36:32 am »

Ivan this is a really good image.

I am surprised though that you were able to shoot directly out to sea and not capture half a dozen ships awaiting entry into the harbour!

Well done.

Regards

Tony Jay

You want to try Singapore!

Rob C

Tony Jay

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 09:54:55 am »

...You want to try Singapore...

Yes - one can't see the ocean for the ships!

Regards

Tony Jay

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 05:05:44 am »

Tony, now that you mention it there was a ton of ships waiting to enter the harbour...but they were a little further out to sea more to the left...from Umghlanga you can see them well as they lie right in front of town...

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 10:11:01 am »

Good grab, Ivan. I know from experience that it's hard to catch at wave at that point.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 10:49:56 am »

Good grab, Ivan. I know from experience that it's hard to catch at wave at that point.

Let me introduce you to a friend:

Anne Tissy Pation. Great chick to know, epecially if you find yourself driving slr machines!

;-)

Rob C

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

Thank Russ, actually for a wave novice like me it didn't seem that difficult perhaps because the sea was deadly calm, I was on a pier that took me right out where they broke and my little X1 has a continuous setting which allows me about 6 frames in succession before the longish wait for the camera to reboot...so the capture really was done in camera...I just had to have the patience to wait for the next nice wave and get the shutter rolling in time...

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 03:54:26 pm »

Interesting. I do most of my shooting with a D3, which can give me 9 frames a second, yet I never thought to use a burst on a wave. I guess the reason is that for a while I tried shooting birds on the wing with bursts but finally found that I had better success with single shots. Next time I shoot a wave I think I'll try your approach. It's a different kind of thing. A wave shape is developing, while a bird is just moving.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

RobbieV

• My work.
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 06:07:19 pm »

As someone who has surged before, you've captured the solemn look out to flat sea, after letting a rideable wave go because you thought you saw something bigger coming along.

Nothing left to do now except "...so what is that a 6'2 fish? How do you like it?"

Nicely done here.

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 03:18:37 am »

Thanks Robbie...

Russ, its not by choice that I use my continuous setting on my camera ...my X1 has a pop up flash that doesn't retract anymore, with the result that the flash is always 'on'. When I set it on continuous it disables the flash...I get a max of six images in about 2seconds...so that's how I often shoot with this little camera,  short bursts..I can have it fixed but that's a 2month wait and I have gotten so used to it that it doesn't really bother me anymore...

Rob C

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 03:35:31 am »

Thanks Robbie...

Russ, its not by choice that I use my continuous setting on my camera ...my X1 has a pop up flash that doesn't retract anymore, with the result that the flash is always 'on'. When I set it on continuous it disables the flash...I get a max of six images in about 2seconds...so that's how I often shoot with this little camera,  short bursts..I can have it fixed but that's a 2month wait and I have gotten so used to it that it doesn't really bother me anymore...

As said by the man with the wooden leg.

Amazing that Leica can put out such stuff - it is the viewfinderless one, isnt it? Makes faith in an M9 even less certain, but hell, as I'm not willing to pay that much...

Russ' colour version does address the snap/contrast issue, though.

Rob C

ivan muller

• Ivan Muller
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 07:30:16 am »

Rob, Yes only a lcd screen and a pretty low res one at that...but I have the optical viewfinder which is rather nice and does make the camera look very very old but always elicits some comment...like, 'is this a film camera?'

Build quality and just general things that are taken for granted in 'lesser' brands are missing here but it has a few redeeming features like very good image quality (same sensor as D300 apparently) and a feature whereby one can very easily set  hyperfocal length or zone focusing which makes it very very easy to use under most shooting conditions..becomes like a point and shoot...but best of all I got it used for the same price as a G12...personally methinks its totally overpriced...but it seems leica knows its market and those guys have very deep pockets!

JohnAONeill

• http://www.johnanthonyoneill.com
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 09:19:47 am »

I really like this Ian. Nice composition and color palette. The green hue in that wave is gorgeous! Nice shot.

John

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 05:26:15 pm »

This image evokes a lot for me Ian. Apart from the beautiful scene ... I felt a sense of tension and unsettling... I recognised that there can sometimes be a lot of movement, energy and dynamism elsewhere....whilst I have at times just been cruising in the sidelines just observing and waiting for the 'right time'... and recognising that something has passed, and wondering when or what the next one coming will be.

Thanks Ian,
Julie 
Pages: [1]   Go Up