Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Why no lens correction profiles ...  (Read 19637 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Why no lens correction profiles ...
« on: June 24, 2012, 06:19:26 pm »

...for Lumix or Olympus lenses? These are hardly obscure, off-market brands!

michael

Re: Why no lens correction profiles ...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:12:32 pm »

They are embedded in the raw files by Olympus and Panasonic cameras. LR knows how to read the info so there is no need for separate profiles.

Michael

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 06:14:32 am »

They are embedded in the raw files by Olympus and Panasonic cameras. LR knows how to read the info so there is no need for separate profiles.

Michael

Hi Michael,

thank you very much - this is a most interesting information !

Does this belong to all combination of G-cameras and lenses - so also the older GH-2 ?

Best wishes

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:40:23 am »

All Micro Four-Thirds models.
Eric Chan

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:30:52 pm »

Many thanks - that's really good news !

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

mac_paolo

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:05:58 pm »

So what about Fujifilm Finepix X10?
I'm just a bit scared thinking about the hundreds of snaps I should take to properly generate a lens correction profile…  :-\

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 10:23:27 pm »

and P&S too...

ario

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 12:29:49 am »

And Fuji X1-Pro too.

ario

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 12:41:36 am »

Does this belong to all combination of G-cameras and lenses - so also the older GH-2 ?

Best wishes

Robert
Distortion correction is available for any m4/3 lens-camera combination (Olympus and Panasonic), lateral CA is only supported for Panasonic camera+ Panasonic lens.

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 02:03:37 am »

We also support distortion, lateral CA, and vignette (peripheral illumination) correction for recent Fuji models, including the X10, X-S1, and X-Pro1. 

Generally, Adobe has been actively working with all the vendors to try to support all metadata-based (i.e., parameter-driven) lens corrections.  This is sometimes not possible for third-party or manual lenses, so in those cases we often have design-based external lens profiles made (e.g., for lenses from Carl Zeiss, Hasselblad, Leica, Pentax, Phase One/Schneider, Sigma, Tamron, and Tokina).
Eric Chan

mac_paolo

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2012, 04:43:55 am »

We also support distortion, lateral CA, and vignette (peripheral illumination) correction for recent Fuji models, including the X10, X-S1, and X-Pro1. 
Eric, I just double checked on an X10 photo. Under "Lens Correction" panel the one and only Fujifilm camera listed is X100.
Are those other ones planned for a 4.2 update? I'm buying the X10 in a week or two: I'd really love to have the lens correction support on LR :)

meyerweb

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 09:01:59 am »

Well, all Olympus and Panasonic branded m43 lenses. The 2 Sigma m43 lenses do not contain embedded lens correction data. I'm not certain about the various manual focus m43 mount lenses sold by companies like Voightlander, SLR Magic, Rokinon, etc.

Also note that Panasonic lenses mounted on Panasonic cameras also embed CA correction data in the EXIF. No Olympus lens, and no lens mounted on an Olympus body, provides this information.

steveg4iwr

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 10:39:18 am »

Michael
That’s great. Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave Rosser

• My Website
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 04:50:38 pm »

Eric, I just double checked on an X10 photo. Under "Lens Correction" panel the one and only Fujifilm camera listed is X100.
Are those other ones planned for a 4.2 update? I'm buying the X10 in a week or two: I'd really love to have the lens correction support on LR :)
As far as I know all Fuji lens data is embedded in RAF metadata and used by Capture one and Lightroom for distortion correction.
Dave

rdonson

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 04:53:00 pm »

....and chromatic aberration...
Regards,
Ron

DP

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2018, 08:49:48 am »

....and chromatic aberration...
LaCA is a also a distortion correction (just for 3 "color" planes).

Telecaster

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2018, 04:09:42 pm »

That’s great. Thank you.

Am I the only person who read this and immediately thought, "Hey, a post from Michael." Followed by "Oh…"

-Dave-

Undertow

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2019, 03:35:03 pm »

My 2 cents:

As a matter of semantics I don't like referring to lens 'correction' profiles in these cases. I'd prefer, say, lens 'manipulation' profiles. The images coming out of the lens are the natural images, for all their imperfections. The 'corrections' are software manipulations that in some cases do more harm than good to the images.

I mostly shoot with Nikon kit and LR gives me the option to adjust distortion and vignetting 'corrections'/'manipulations' from 100%-0%. Great!

However, I occasionally shoot with an Olympus OM-D and Panasonic 7-14mm lens. The lens has strong natural barrel distortion and the built in profile is forced upon the image by LR with no option to turn off. I find the artificially 'stretched' corners and cropped image often look much worse than the natural barrel distortion.

The only option I've found is to edit in RawTherapee which doesn't apply the 'corrections'/'manipulations' and export a TIFF file to my LR catalog. Not ideal but a workaround.

Would love if LR gave the option to turn these profiles off. Granted I don't have the latest version of LR so perhaps that's changed...

IanSeward

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2019, 02:40:39 pm »

My 2 cents:

As a matter of semantics I don't like referring to lens 'correction' profiles in these cases. I'd prefer, say, lens 'manipulation' profiles. The images coming out of the lens are the natural images, for all their imperfections. The 'corrections' are software manipulations that in some cases do more harm than good to the images.

I mostly shoot with Nikon kit and LR gives me the option to adjust distortion and vignetting 'corrections'/'manipulations' from 100%-0%. Great!

However, I occasionally shoot with an Olympus OM-D and Panasonic 7-14mm lens. The lens has strong natural barrel distortion and the built in profile is forced upon the image by LR with no option to turn off. I find the artificially 'stretched' corners and cropped image often look much worse than the natural barrel distortion.

The only option I've found is to edit in RawTherapee which doesn't apply the 'corrections'/'manipulations' and export a TIFF file to my LR catalog. Not ideal but a workaround.

Would love if LR gave the option to turn these profiles off. Granted I don't have the latest version of LR so perhaps that's changed...

Download a trial of DXO-Photolab 2 and see how it renders your 7-14mm files you may be pleasantly surprised.  LR uses the embedded lens correction data which is the same as the jpg correction.  DXO profile the lens in their optical labs (it's their day job) and produce a superior lens correction as it can utilise the power (and relative long time scale) of your computer to correct the image. Compared to the jpg correction which must be "quick&dirty" due to in-camera processing power and need to operate in real time..  This often gives an increased fov for wide angle lenses as the jpg correction normally involves a crop for speed.

Many modern lenses are designed to be computer corrected in order to reduce the size of a particular lens.  Barrel distortion is one of the easiest distortions to correct for which is why it is a common issue.

If you do look at DXO-PL 2 then also evaluate their PRIME noise reduction which works wonders on high ISO mft files.  DXO include a plugin for LR to make round tripping easy.

Here is a link to dropbox which shows ACR (jpg) and DXO interpretations of the file.  Your 7mm just got a bit wider with DXO:-)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vj436wkyfma5p0x/AABmNn4KG3T7b_5gH3WKciHUa?dl=0

Ian

faberryman

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2019, 02:43:43 pm »

DXO profile the lens in their optical labs (it's their day job) and produce a superior lens correction as it can utilise the power (and relative long time scale) of your computer to correct the image.
Why would DXO's optical correction profile be superior to the manufacturers'?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up