Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayan Riviera, Mexico  (Read 1058 times)

MTGFender

Mayan Riviera, Mexico
« on: June 21, 2012, 01:35:44 am »

Taken on a full moon.
Phase One DF with IQ180 and Mamiya 28mm

ISO 100, f/4.5, 60 sec.

Thank you for your interest!

Tony Jay

Re: Mayan Riviera, Mexico
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 04:30:57 am »

Although I applaud your courage to experiment with difficult exposures I am not convinced with this result.

It was obviously much darker than the image suggests (it did take a 60s exposure) but the tones suggests a high latitude twilight rather than the night of the low tropical latitudes of the Mayan Riviera in Mexico.
Also much of the interest in the image comes from the brightest parts of the image - the moon and the lit buildings yet these are completely blown with no detail apparent.

Did you shoot any similar images that were less exposed - perhaps doing some postprocessing with these images may give a better result.
On still nights a classic series of exposures to cover the dynamic range and subsequent HDR processing may also work.
Alternatively two images one exposed for highlights and the other exposed for the shadows and then merged may work

Shooting after dark is one of my favourite pastimes so I fully appreciate the difficulties involved in getting good results with the sort of scene that you have submitted.
I am sure that others will comment and possibly suggest interesting ways of approaching these sorts of shots.

Kind Regards

Tony Jay

MTGFender

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:25:25 am »

Thanks Tony! I should have shot multiple images and worked in PS as you suggested but the tripods started moving by the waves. Pramote
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 05:53:15 am by MTGFender »

Tony Jay

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:31:56 am »

Yes it can be difficult in the surf - hopefully no damage to any equipment?

Regards

Tony jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up