Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RED develops Windows workstation  (Read 3843 times)

Bern Caughey

• WONDROS

fredjeang

Re: RED develops Windows workstation
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:48:29 pm »

Hp has been very well used in motion compositing (demanding performances) for quite some time.
Those units are really powerfull.

It seems to me that peecees are going to dominate the video and specialized market, and Mac will maybe be the consumer brand and ocupates the position of windows' decades ago.  Wheel turns.

It also seems to me that in what Red is concerned, the NLE to work with is Premiere Pro. CB had a good intuition. Therefore, PP could really be the referent NLE instead of Avid or FCP because every editor now wants to work Red footage with maximum ease.

Yeah, adobe dominated the still market, and they are on their way to dominate the motion one. Probably PP will be the PS of motion. All pros will have to use it.

This anuncement (the link provided by Bern) is really important.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 03:54:21 pm by fredjeang »

bcooter

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:15:50 pm »

Hp has been very well used in motion compositing (demanding performances) for quite some time.
Those units are really powerfull.

It seems to me that peecees are going to dominate the video and specialized market, and Mac will maybe be the consumer brand and ocupates the position of windows' decades ago.  Wheel turns.

The thing is the real professional market for computers is small.

I don't know the numbers but I'll bet Apple sells millions of I-pads and macbook airs  in relation to their towers, which is almost kind of funny, because I find the Ipad interesting, but not a true working machine.

It's kind of fun to watch a movie, or answer an e-mail, mess around with some prosumer software but as far as serious work, the new range of pads are not yet serious machines.

I have a new one setting in the box since last February and haven't had a need or the time to even load and sync it up.

Also professionals don't buy the newest and greatest for top dollar unless it's just absolutely needed.   You can walk into any post production house and see millions of dollars of yesterday's equipment setting idle.

Also full tilt PeeCees aren't cheap.   If you spec out a 17" HP laptop with fast video cards, drives, fastest processor you can get to 7 grand pretty quick.

The good thing about PeeCee's is you can get a pretty good machine for a few grand or less, but once again the numbers add up quickly.

But given all of this, in Europe if you go to an imaging show you'll see a lot more peecees than ever before because Apple has gone full consumer . . . period and unless we see a re write of 64 bit fcp 7 (won't happen IMO) and if your going to  process, edit and round trip 4k  footage your going to have to eventually move to Avid (think 1997) or Premier (think fast FCP 7 where all the buttons have been moved around).

Personally we're still running fcp 7 on our legacy projects, moving new projects to premier as I don't think Avid will be the standard unless they do a total rewrite that gets out of the keyboard based editing style and Adobe is building a full round trip professional suite.

Red and all 4k/5k professional cameras are are different animal as they require fast video render cards just to process out, so they see the handwriting on the wall or better put the posters in the Apple store, which is grab a camera, a macbook pro and become a you tube film maker.

Still, when you think about it what would you rather own, 1,000 shares of HP or Dell or 1,000 shares of Apple?

IMO

BC

Pete_G

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 06:33:13 am »

Personally we're still running fcp 7 on our legacy projects, moving new projects to premier as I don't think Avid will be the standard unless they do a total rewrite that gets out of the keyboard based editing style and Adobe is building a full round trip professional suite.

I don't think this is strictly true, professional editors prefer using keyboard shortcuts, it's faster and more precise, that's why Avid still totally supports this, they would lose 90 per cent of their users if they moved towards point and click editing. The Avid interface is "old fashioned" but again, for pro software you simply can't keep messing around with loopy GUI's in the way Apple does.

fredjeang

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 12:42:29 pm »

Agree, Avid can behave like Premiere also. Really, once you're in the timeline with Avid, I wouldn't be worried, it will work just fine. We got the choice of a vintage orthodox workflow or something more actual, messy and intuitive, more in the spirit of FCP or PP. And the software will obey to both styles.

But where James is right, is that a shift from FCP to AVID isn't so easy. Really, Avid is IMO an unforgiving software and some procedures can be long to learn, not exactly to learn but to remember. There are tasks that if you don't practise them regularly you simply forget them when you need it and it always happens when you have no time to look again.

I'd say that the timeline is now very powerfull and can be easy, but the software in general isn't and still somewhere chalenging to get used to.  

Still, when you think about it what would you rather own, 1,000 shares of HP or Dell or 1,000 shares of Apple?

For me, I think that Apple would be now an heart's choice, and PC the reason's voice.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:15:16 pm by fredjeang »
Pages: [1]   Go Up