Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800e Samples 3 - ISO  (Read 3244 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Nikon D800e Samples 3 - ISO
« on: June 17, 2012, 08:58:01 am »

When I was out yesterday morning, I made a series of shots at different ISOs: 200, 800 and 3200. Now I'm an ISO200 kind a guy as I want the best possible image quality. ISO200 offers not only less noise, but also the highest dynamic range. With these photos I really didn't test the dynamic range, but only the noise issue. That being said, this was just about a full-tone scene and was exposed-to-the-right giving just-clipped (but recoverable) highlights down to 10% shadows.

All images were made at ƒ22 with a Nikkor 20mm ƒ2.8 AF-D with a hood and no filter on Manfrotto 055 legs with a sturdy head (sturdy enough for my 4x5!). They were exposed using mirror lock-up with an electronic release. Some will argue that ƒ22 will introduce diffraction artifacts, but I'm being a realist here. When I'm shooting landscapes like this, I want to maximize depth-of-field. Any diffraction artifacts I will deal with separately (and will discuss in a future post).

Each of the images below are screen captures zoomed to 100% of each ISO that have been sharpened to achieve the highest image quality I can get. Others with greater LR finesse may be able to sharpen better still. If you want to see more, I have posted on my blog a series of 4 photos at  each ISO - Full View, 100% view of Default Sharpening (for pixel peepers), 50% view of Default Sharpening (for realists), and the same 100% views below.

So now, you be the judge...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 11:16:44 am by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: Nikon D800 Samples 3 - ISO
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 10:42:21 am »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for sharing. On your blog you mention the D800E was used, here your heading says D800, maybe a small edit will help reduce confusion.

Some will argue that ƒ22 will introduce diffraction artifacts, but I'm being a realist here. When I'm shooting landscapes like this, I want to maximize depth-of-field. Any diffraction artifacts I will deal with separately (and will discuss in a future post).

No problem with that. They're your shots, it's your camera, it's your right to make that trade-off. And you apparently realise that is a trade-off, you'll lose 1/3rd of the native resolution, but that won't be a problem when your output goals are limited.

I do wonder a bit about the sharpening radius choice though. Following optical theory for f/22 on a sensor with a sensel pitch of 4.88 micron, it would seem that a radius setting of approx. 1.2 , combined with increasing the Detail slider (= more deconvolution sharpening) and reducing the Amount slider, would be a better match to recover from some of the diffraction blur. But as you said, you'll cover that subject in a future post. If you need a proper f/22 diffraction deconvolution done, just let me know.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

luxborealis

Re: Nikon D800e Samples 3 - ISO
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 11:43:56 am »

Thanks Bart - the "e" has now been added.

My understanding is that for high frequency images a value of less than 1.0 is preferable as per the work of Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe. However, maybe I'm missing something there.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:01:51 pm »

Thanks Bart - the "e" has now been added.

My understanding is that for high frequency images a value of less than 1.0 is preferable as per the work of Bruce Fraser and Jeff Schewe. However, maybe I'm missing something there.

Well, under normal circumstances, at f/5.6, the best radius might be 0.7 (depends on the residual lens aberrations). That's what my analysis of a D800E test target shot tells.

However, at f/22 the diffraction pattern diameter spans something like 6.2 pixels (for luminosity at 564 nm wavelength). And that's only for the central part of the diffraction pattern. To attempt a deconvolution based on a Gaussian point spread function, that would take approx. a 1.2 radius to approximate an Airy disks central peak. A deconvolution with a diffraction pattern will require a different tool, but the results will be quite a bit better.

In theory (but that's without noise) the diffraction loss is fully recoverable, if it were not that the resolution will already be reduced to some 66% of what the camera is capable of due to f/22 diffraction blur. At f/18 it would be theoretically possible to almost recover the full resolution of a D800E. At least f/18 will reduce the risk of aliasing artifacts practically to zero.

Cheers,
Baart

EricWHiss

• Rolleiflex USA
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 12:38:54 am »

Terry,
Thanks for the sample images - these are helpful to people considering a D800.

Bart,
Can you provide a formula to calculate the ideal sharpening radius based on the aperture and pixel size?   I'm not a D800 owner but I am interested in this for use with other cameras - particularly my Rollei AFi with the Aptus 12 back.  Which I think it has 5.2u pitch.   How does this work when a capture level sharpening is applied and then another pass with detail slider in LR later?
Thanks,
Eric
Rolleiflex USA

kmeyers

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 01:09:33 am »

I 2nd the calculation request. 

Must be an iPhone app right?  ;D

LKaven

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:38:25 am »

Now I'm an ISO200 kind a guy as I want the best possible image quality. ISO200 offers not only less noise, but also the highest dynamic range.

Note, the base ISO on the D800/e is actually ISO 100.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 05:29:44 am »

Bart,
Can you provide a formula to calculate the ideal sharpening radius based on the aperture and pixel size?   I'm not a D800 owner but I am interested in this for use with other cameras - particularly my Rollei AFi with the Aptus 12 back.  Which I think it has 5.2u pitch.

Hi Eric,

There is a simple answer (but it doesn't work as good with wider apertures), and there is a more detailed answer. The latter is better addressed in a separate thread, to keep this thread on topic.

The simple answer is for the scenarios where diffraction so clearly dominates as with these narrow apertures of say f/16 and narrower, when a maximum DOF is required instead of maximum resolution (which is a valid trade-off, but with consequences for large output). When plotting an Airy Disk pattern and a Gaussian Bell pattern together, it is possible to find a kind of best fit between the areas of main contribution of both patterns.

As a rule of thumb I find the following approximation to work quite well for luminance (the weighted average of Red Green and Blue, 564 nm):
    Radius = 0.26 x N / SP,
Where N = F-number, e.g. 22, and
SP is sensel pitch in microns, e.g. 4.88 for the D800/D800E.

Do note that this is only dealing with the diffraction pattern, therefore it works best when diffraction so clearly dominates the captured result. One could see this as the smallest practical radius setting. For wider apertures the residual lens aberrations have an increasingly larger additional influence, and wide open also defocus effects gain in importance. Due to the complexities of the combination of different Point Spead functions/shapes, I've made a tool that allows to empirically find the best radius for any lens/aperture/camera/Rawconverter combination. I'll be introducing this tool later today in a separate thread.

How does this work when a capture level sharpening is applied and then another pass with detail slider in LR later?

That depends on one's workflow. When we want to strictly separate the Capture/Creative/Output sharpening steps, then Lightroom only allows to address Capture sharpening on the original Raw conversion, and then do an additional run of sharpening by using a local Sharpness brush, or by another Development run on an earlier Tiff conversion result. Or, as a compromise, one could try and mix the Capture sharpening and the Creative sharpening into one. In that case, the smaller Capture sharpening radius sets a lower boundary for the range of radii to consider.

Life does become easier if we concentrate on Capture sharpening, because that is where deconvolution offers a major contribution, also in avoiding halo which will only get worse when doing the Creative sharpening. It is also where noise reduction may interfere with boosting the effect of the detail slider. By concentrating on getting that Capture sharpening stage right, the rest (e.g. the local Sharpening brush, and Clarity) becomes so much more predictable. But more on that later.

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:01:12 am by BartvanderWolf »

luxborealis

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 09:03:19 am »

Note, the base ISO on the D800/e is actually ISO 100.

Thanks for clarifying - according to DxOMark, the Nikon D800 does have superior Dynamic Range at ISO 100 (14.4 versus 13.5 at ISO200)

LKaven

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:52:37 pm »

Thanks for clarifying - according to DxOMark, the Nikon D800 does have superior Dynamic Range at ISO 100 (14.4 versus 13.5 at ISO200)

Cool.  Also, everything at ISO1600 and up is computed with digital multiplication.  Analog gain leaves off around ISO1280. 

Since you like ISO100, try underexposing at ISO100 and see how many clean stops of digital gain this sensor will give you.  Squeaky clean in the shadows!  The beauty of the Exmor, compared to the D3/D4/1D/5D architecture.
Pages: [1]   Go Up