Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon D800e Samples 1  (Read 906 times)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Nikon D800e Samples 1
« on: June 16, 2012, 11:51:40 pm »

I picked up my D800e last night and was out first thing this morning – a perfect morning for nature photography with soft light and no breeze. I did a few different set-ups on Manfrotto 055 legs with a head heavy-duty enough for my 4x5 wood field camera, using mirror lock-up and an electronic release for all exposures. I mostly shot with a Nikkor 20/2.8 AF-D and a few with a Micro-Nikkor 105/2.8 AF-D, both with lens hoods but no filters.

First impressions - Wow and OMG! Spectacular detail. That being said, the 20mm crapped out in the corners with CA and the 105mm showed diffraction fairly clearly at ƒ32 (as expected). However, at ƒ22, the effects of diffraction could be reduced with proper sharpening. BUT - that's at 100% pixel peeping. At 50% – a more realistic view, especially for prints – all files were great, even, quite surprisingly, at ISO3200!

Here are 2 from this morning, both shot at ISO200 and each with an associated 100% crop. They were processed in LR4.1 using whatever adjustments were necessary to re-create my vision from the field. I will post two more in the next post and follow up tomorrow with a series showing diffraction and an ISO series as well.

You'll find more discussion of this on my blog...
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:53:39 pm by luxborealis »
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up