Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Big Camera Bag - Suggestions Please!  (Read 1248 times)

GuzziRob

• Alpinist Photography
Big Camera Bag - Suggestions Please!
« on: June 16, 2012, 06:28:55 pm »

Looking for a camera bag to lug most my kit around when I am touring the country/Europe or off on a big shoot.  I have loads of small to mid size bags, but looking for a single solution. 

The complete kit (as it currently stands) is:

Nikon D800E, Nikon D7000, 12-24 f2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 300 f4, 18-105 f3.5-4.5, Speedlight SB800.  I plan to add a 1.4X TC and at least one more Speedlight at some stage.  Obviously I am not going to be carrying this lot a huge distance, but it would be nice to be able to move the whole kit around the place from time to time!

I envisage carrying the cameras ideally with the 300+TC on the D7000 for any wildlife opportunities (I am always bumping into things on my travels around Rural Cumbria and lens swaps = missed chances!), and one of the 2.8s on the D800E (I am finding myself using the 70-200 quite a lot at the moment which has come as a massive surprise!)

At the moment I am looking at the Domke F-7 and F-1x primarily, but neither are easy to come by in the UK so interested in what else is out there that people suggest.

Cheers

David Sutton

• David Sutton Photography
Re: Big Camera Bag - Suggestions Please!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 07:10:35 pm »

If you are travelling by road then there are lots of solutions. But for flying I try to get the smallest looking bag to avoid the watchful gaze of check in staff as I try to carry my gear on board.
My last trip to South America I had a Think Tank Airport Antidote version 2. It looks small. It carried two Canon bodies, 400mm lens, 70-300, 24-105, 16-35, filters, 2 film camera, laptop and brick and a lot of other stuff. I didn't get asked to weight it once. The harness is quite good and it's light weight, but the tripod holder on the side needs some extra stitching to make it wider so the tripod doesn't wobble. I don't know how it would go with your 300mm. 
If I were looking for a bag now I'd go for the 22 lt Kiboko. Gura Gear have the best thought out lightweight bags I've seen anywhere. Plus the 22 lt has a laptop compartment. I had the 30 lt version but got tired of of getting it through check-in on smaller airlines. It would comfortably carry everything I own, was within the legal size for overhead bins but just looked too big.

GuzziRob

• Alpinist Photography
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 07:57:54 pm »

It is really for road travel rather than air - I accept that in the latter situation I have to either compromise on how much kit I take, or I get my partner to carry some of it for me ;-) 

There are some nice ideas there though!

I have just managed to squeeze everything that I currently have into a Kata 3N1-30 that I have, but it is very tight and leaves no room for anything else so it isn't ideal!  Just trying to build some ideas at the moment!

figure1a

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:44:17 am »

Did you look at the Think Tank Airport Addicted v2.0? Pretty good also with room for a laptop. These guys are giving one away for free next week: http://bit.ly/LaYbHn
Pages: [1]   Go Up