Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scanner Profiling  (Read 1467 times)

Mark Paulson

Scanner Profiling
« on: June 10, 2012, 05:48:13 pm »

After some health issues, I just set up my Imacon 343 and want to profile it. Is the scanner module gone for good in the i1 Profiler package?

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
Re: Scanner Profiling
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:18:20 pm »

Yeah, I think you're right. Scanners are so twentieth century that they forgot to include that module. The best scanner profiles I've seen were from ProfileMaker Professional combined with a HutchColor Velvia target. That's what I use for my drum scanners and couldn't be happier. You should be able to find someone with ProfileMaker to make you a profile. Hell, I'll do it if you send me the scan of your target.

Mark Paulson

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 11:38:57 pm »

I don't have at HutchColor, but have multiple IT 8.7 target for a couple of Velvia and Provia flavors. In checking out HutchColor I noticed only one flavor of Velvia. Is that the accepted standard for all the Velvia Film?

pfigen

• http://www.peterfigen.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 02:12:37 am »

I have several different targets, and the only one worth a crap is the Hutchcolor. I also have a Kodak Ektachrome IT8 and an individually measured Fuji brand IT8 as well. The Hutch target is a better target, patch wise and is hand measured with the corresponding data file. I use the Hutch target for everything I scan on my drum scanner except black and white. You can generally use the Velvia target for all E-6 films, as they respond very closely to each other on most scanners. K-14 is another story altogether, but very doable with a few tweaks. The reason for using the Velvia target is that Velvia has the largest color gamut of any E-6 film and everything else will fall inside of that, remembering whatever you use for the input profile on the scanner will define the gamut of the scans even if the scanner itself can "see" more color on it's own. A good scanner profile is designed to get you very close to what's on your original film, but don't let that stop you from making your scans better than that. I have yet to find an image that can't be made better in post.

Mark Paulson

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 09:53:11 am »

I have several different targets, and the only one worth a crap is the Hutchcolor. I also have a Kodak Ektachrome IT8 and an individually measured Fuji brand IT8 as well. The Hutch target is a better target, patch wise and is hand measured with the corresponding data file. I use the Hutch target for everything I scan on my drum scanner except black and white. You can generally use the Velvia target for all E-6 films, as they respond very closely to each other on most scanners. K-14 is another story altogether, but very doable with a few tweaks. The reason for using the Velvia target is that Velvia has the largest color gamut of any E-6 film and everything else will fall inside of that, remembering whatever you use for the input profile on the scanner will define the gamut of the scans even if the scanner itself can "see" more color on it's own. A good scanner profile is designed to get you very close to what's on your original film, but don't let that stop you from making your scans better than that. I have yet to find an image that can't be made better in post.

Thanks for the info. I'll get the HutchColor on order. I thought that might be the case. I understand post and that the profile is just trying to standardize the base scan for later tweaking, i.e. creating a standard workflow.
Pages: [1]   Go Up