Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stiching in raw?  (Read 6574 times)

dreed

Stiching in raw?
« on: June 10, 2012, 10:30:34 am »

Are there any packages that allow you to stitch together raw images rather than render to jpeg/tiff first?

Walter Schulz

Re: Stiching in raw?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 10:56:00 am »

Such an option doesn't make sense to me. Would you like to explain your approach?
Imagewise there is no loss between 12- or 14 bit RAW and 16 bit TIFF. So where is the beef?
PTgui is able to read RAWs but uses DCraw to convert them to TIFF/JPEG. This workflow option is not recommended by the company itself if image quality is critical. http://www.ptgui.com/support.html#2_12

Ciao, Walter
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 10:59:14 am by Walter Schulz »

dreed

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 07:45:26 pm »

Why stitch in raw?

Because maybe each image needs slightly different settings to get them all to match and the best way to do that is to have all of the pieces together on the screen at once?

Also because the changes to the raw files individually might be different to the ones you want to perform when you see the scene as a whole?

Ray

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 09:42:50 am »

Why stitch in raw?

Because maybe each image needs slightly different settings to get them all to match and the best way to do that is to have all of the pieces together on the screen at once?

Also because the changes to the raw files individually might be different to the ones you want to perform when you see the scene as a whole?

No problem stitching in RAW in Bridge. Open the RAW files you want to stitch, in ACR. Make the adjustments you think appropriate, such as getting sky tonality and WB matching etc etc. Hit the 'Done'  button, lower right of ACR window. Then go back to Bridge and select at the top of the page, 'Tools'/Photoshop/Photomerge, and watch the miracle happen.  ;D

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 09:49:00 am »

Hi,

Most packages do. I use Autopano pro.

On the other hand I'd suggest that it may not be a very good idea, mostly, because I'd suggest that full grown raw converters do a better job than those built into panorama tools.

Best regards
Erik
Are there any packages that allow you to stitch together raw images rather than render to jpeg/tiff first?
Erik Kaffehr

Pages: [1]   Go Up