Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Still Love for the Nex7?  (Read 4941 times)

Alistair

Still Love for the Nex7?
« on: June 07, 2012, 07:48:06 am »

Now that they are flowing relatively freely into the market, does anyone here regularly use the nex7 or was it just something of a novelty talking point in time? I am thinking of picking one up for those times when I need to travel light but have three concerns:
1. Due to corner color castes, is it a waste of time using Zeiss/Leica lenses on it?
2. Does the VF deliver or is it a pain in high contrast and/or low light conditions?
3. Do the files have the latitude and general IQ of Canon 1ds II or 5dII full frame files? (i.e. much bigger photodiode sites) or have they gone beyond that technology? I had the Nex C3 with a similar sensor to the D7000, Pentax K5 et al and must confess to being somewhat underwhelmed when compared to 1dsII with equivalent pixel count but of course much bigger sensor area.

Any thoughts on these points from those who regularly use the Nex7 would be much appreciated.

Regards

Alistair
Alistair

Scott O.

• Photography by Scott and Joyce
Re: Still Love for the Nex7?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:08:37 am »

I thought that I really wanted one until I actually used one.  It is way too small for me to use comfortably.  I sorta felt like I was taking a picture with a deck of cards.  Seems to be a great package, but a bit too small for me.

CptZar

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 02:53:44 am »

I sold mine. Reasons: 1. Crop: I need a FF sensor, not because it takes better pictures, but because the larger Angle of View. I used the NEX with the Metabones EF adapter, and having no UWV lenses this was annoying. 2. Lenses: No quality lenses beside the Sony-Zeiss 24/1.8. 3. Usability: If you ever tried to use those tiny buttons and wheels at -10°C you know what I talk about. You end up always pushing the wrong buttons, specially with the little toggle control wheel. Absolutely awful. 4. Bracketing: Even though the DR of the Sony sensor is so highly praised at this forum, I always end up bracketing, as in most landscape conditions a single shot will not cover the full required DR. So I like the luxury of auto bracketing, which again at -10°C with tiny little wheels makes things much easier. And then there was that video button...

Likes? I liked the EVF. For landscape it is much better than an OVF. You can zoom in and make very sharp pictures. Better than the Horseman loupe I use now.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 06:11:09 am by CptZar »

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 02:54:41 am »

I"ve had mine a few weeks, and think it's terrific.  Hate some of the things others hate, but it's small and great quality.  I just bought the adapter and a couple of the zeiss lenses, and so I have something small and easy or in a minute basically have an a77, with 9frames a second and really good focus.

one of the funnest cameras I've used in a long time.

Alistair

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:45:39 am »

Thank you very much for those responses. Interesting to hear some "post-honeymoon" views. Wayne, what Zeiss lenses  did you pick up and have you had colour fringeing problems show up yet?
Regards
Alistair
Alistair

Alistair

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:49:22 am »

Thank you very much for those responses. Interesting to hear some "post-honeymoon" views. Wayne, what Zeiss lenses  did you pick up and have you had colour fringeing problems show up yet? Johannes, were any of those wonderful landscapes in your gallery done on the NEx7?
Regards
Alistair
Alistair

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:29:47 am »

I have the 7 with Novaflex adapter and shoot it mostly with my Zeiss 2.8/ 21 ZF.2.
I purchased the Zeiss to use on my D800E but it seems to spend more time on the Sony.
Later this summer I plan on buying the Zeiss 100 macro to use on both cameras.
 I presently do not have a macro lens and hear many good things about the 100.
Its one great camera and will be keeping my eyes open for new lenses to add.

CptZar

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:09:00 pm »

Thanks for the compliments! Yes some, the temple in Lijnag, with Jade Dragon in the back. As well NYC skyline and  Incheon Bridge under Urban. Took me 3 cold days to take that picture.
rgds

Jan

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 12:20:04 pm »

I have the 7 with Novaflex adapter and shoot it mostly with my Zeiss 2.8/ 21 ZF.2.
I purchased the Zeiss to use on my D800E but it seems to spend more time on the Sony.

I'm with Dan and all others with postive comments. The menu system and I are still at war. Working some of the buttons when you are trying to get focus is a contortional problem, note to Sony - most people's thumbs don't work that way! I use Leica and Nikon adapters. My most used lenses are the Zeiss ZF.2 21 and the Leica 75 Summarit. For stealth I can use the tiny 50 Summarit. Image quality is terrific and I love the way you can manipulate the shadows in PP. And despite it's flaws there are many positive aspects which I am finding myself wishing were on my Nikon.
After several weeks, I listed it for sale, but kept on using it because I liked the size and many other aspects. After having it listed for two days I withdrew the listing and I'm glad I did.

JPrimgaard

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 11:55:02 pm »

I've had mine for months.  Have now acquired 5 Canon FD lenses as well as the E mount Zeiss 24mm and E mount 50.

Came from a 5D and lots of L glass, all sold now.  I kept all my Canon flash gear as I primarily used it with the Radio Poppers JRX system, so it all works great with the NEX7.

Everyone of course has their own requirements, but for me this is an absolutely wonderful little camera.  There's no doubt that the menu needs a re-work and bracketing is still not addressed.

BUT, all things considered it suits my needs very well and I'm really enjoying manual focus with focus peaking.  This technology will only get better and these old FD lenses will continue to shine.

What fun!

Alistair

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 01:39:25 am »

Thanks very much everyone for the replies so far. I am picking mine up today. Going to use it with my M mounts: Voigty 15mm, Zeiss 21/F4.5, Zeiss 50/F2 and Elmarit 90/F2.8 so I am expecting to use Cornerfix :-\ but if you don't try....... And at half the price of the Xpro 1 and way less than the M9 it is worth a punt.
Alistair

Joe S

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:58:54 pm »

I love mine, using it with mostly Leica lenses.   Don't overlook the Sigma 30mm and 16mm, which are highly regarded and inexpensive autofocus primes.

Alistair

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 05:13:38 am »

Thanks for those Sigma lens tips Joe. What Lieca lenses are you using? I picked up a Nex7 yesterday. I already have the C3 so the 7 feels very familiar; same menu and some controls are also common. But the addition of a VF (even an EVF) is fantastic. And to have focus peaking and magnification right there in the VF is great. IQ looks quite good, a bit noisy maybe, but there is a lot of mp on a small sensor so once resized and printed I think images will still look good. I am looking forward to seeing how big an issue the color fringing turns out to be.
Alistair

JohnBrew

• http://www.johnbrewton.zenfolio.com
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 08:14:33 am »

I have not seen any color fringing from my lenses on the NEX-7.
Pages: [1]   Go Up