Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Africa  (Read 3727 times)

leeonmaui

Africa
« on: May 28, 2012, 07:33:08 pm »

Aloha,

Africa, Kenya, Amboseli, any thoughts or insights would be appreciated.

I'm thinking;
10 days on site
private vehicle with guide
late September

thanks, Lee   

Tony Jay

Re: Africa
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 08:49:47 pm »

Have you considered the Okavango delta in Botswana - a truly magnificent experience.

The diversity of wildlife and ecological niches has to be seen to be believed.
Were you to go, ten days would be a mere reconnaissance.
You would go back.

By the way, Namibia is just next door. Another place that would take years to properly appreciate.
Etosha would be a great introduction to Namibia but would merely be a single bite hors d'oeuvres in a banquet.
I am drooling just typing this.

Regards

Tony Jay

billmac

• McClure Photography, LLC
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:26:06 pm »

Lots of great web sites on photographing Africa and everyone has opinions/experience. I spent 10 days from Amboselli-Ngorongoro Crater-Masai Mara-Serengeti (Tanzania to Kenya) and loved every one of them. My favorites are the Crater and the Serengeti. The first morning in the Crater we shot the big five of Africa.

Having said that, I hope to get to Botswana and the Delta soon!

Bill McClure

Colorado David

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2012, 10:35:12 pm »

I've spent time on assignment in RSA, Zimbabwe and Namibia.  It gets in your blood and you have to go back.  The downside is the length of the flight.  US to RSA is among the longest commercial flights you'll ever take.  The first time I went, I flew from Atlanta to Joburg.  We flew longer than I've ever flown before.  The we landed to refuel and change crews in the Cape Verde Islands.  We were half way there.  I suppose if you flew through Europe and had a layover it might be better.  Still, I'd love to go back.

Tony Jay

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2012, 11:51:42 pm »

Lee, looking at your handle it appears you are based in Hawaii.

With regards to travel arrangements consider flying through Singapore en route to Johannesburg.
It is easy to connect into almost anyplace in Africa from there.
I don't know (I confess) which airlines, if any, connect directly to any East African destination from your neck of the woods. Perhaps Singapore Airlines or Air Malaysia do.

Are you limited to ten days or do you believe you might be able to complete a worthwhile trip in that time.
If time and budget allow I would strongly suggest a longer sojourn wherever you ultimately choose.

Also, don't get stars in your eyes and feel that once you have the big five in the bag then its all over. The African wilderness is MUCH more than just those five species. Apart from Leopards the others are easy to find anyway.
Most of the really interesting wildlife - it is possible you may not even know that some of these species exist yet - are where the true charm and interest really lies. The birdlife is something else too.

Apologies if you already all over these issues - your original post did not offer huge detail.
I was born and raised in Africa so I do have a feel for the place and its issues - so I may be able to offer some insight on certain issues.

Regards

Tony Jay

leeonmaui

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 12:28:15 am »

Aloha,

I'll most likely fly to paris or london then to kenya.
its shorter that way but not by much, flying to singapore from here is a long haul.
from here to Paris is pretty good, about 16 hours, then another 14 or so to Kenya.

Yes I am sure there are many awesome places, I'll likely stick to one as it just eliminates lost time traveling, ten days is a lot of shooting, after that, I normally don't want to see my camera for a week...

I most interested in information regarding Kenya and Amboseli.

cost. fair price for a solo driver/car, any good guides anyone that's been there could recommend, problems to watch for, etc

at any rate thanks for everyone's input.

Lee

billmac

• McClure Photography, LLC
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 09:52:06 pm »

Re travel: We flew into Kilimanjaro International at Arusha, Tanzania, on KLM via Amsterdam. Nairobi, Kenya, is not a place one wants to hang around in, but you can go there. From Arusha we went to Lake Manyara, the Crater, the Mara, etc.

We used Air Kenya (small planes) several times on hops...usually from dirt strips that hardly looked like runways, but it all worked.

Bill McClure

ltphoto

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 05:13:50 pm »

I wouldn't hang around in Nairobi for any extended time, but it is worthwhile to spend a day there. Their natural history museum is fantastic, with early hominid fossils that you have read about or learned about in school. It was fascinating. I just would not go out after dark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up