Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon d800/ raw files  (Read 4863 times)

vazuw

Nikon d800/ raw files
« on: May 19, 2012, 01:18:27 pm »

Is there a way to open D800 raw files without upgrading to the latest PS version? Thanks

Ben Rubinstein

Re: Nikon d800/ raw files
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 02:34:11 pm »

The latest ACR version for CS5 will open D800 files.

vazuw

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:45:20 pm »

Is that the only way? Can I work the files in PS 5, as  jpegs or tiffs ?

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 04:21:50 pm »

Try the current DNG converter to convert the file and open in Photoshop versions older than CS5, though I don't know how far back the compatibility goes. Getting a newer version of Photoshop is part of the "upgrade tax" we all pay when we get bigger, better, faster and larger cameras/files.

Simply working on either camera-generated jpeg or tiff files leaves not much to be desired.

As I tell people, I shoot all my files as raw files since I don't like what Mr. Nikon working in a cubicle somewhere in Tokyo has decided to throw away before I see all that my camera can offer me. Jpeg files throw way easily 95% of the information before writing a file. I want all that my camera can give me!

Camera-generated tiff files are a little better quality wise, but few can tell the difference between a properly-crafted tiff or jpeg from the camera. Still, half the image data is gone at the push of a button and then you get files much larger than raw with the color quality of a jpeg that takes forever to download and crams your media cards with but a few files. Not a good thing IMO.

Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

vazuw

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:59:05 pm »

Thanks , I had a feeling I had to upgrade. So it goes...
Pages: [1]   Go Up