Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dubovoy's NEX-7 Video Button Fix  (Read 2805 times)

jgbowerman

Dubovoy's NEX-7 Video Button Fix
« on: May 18, 2012, 09:21:34 pm »

Mark, you might of warned me that I could get super glue all over everything... including six of my digits. Ha! Oh well, my redneck-fixed NEX-7 is better for the wear. I found a rubber washer down in the barn that did the trick. It took two rather sticky efforts. Hello Sony!!

jgbowerman

Re: Dubovoy's NEX-7 Video Button Fix
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:32:17 am »

For those NEX-7 users that want to give this a try, I'll attach a couple of demonstation photos that will help to avoid the potential sticky mess I encountered with my first effort. This method allows accurate placement of the rubber washer/grommet and helps to contain the super glue. I used a standard super glue gel formula that takes a tad longer to setup, but being a gel, it is also less drippy.

The rubber washer I used came from a self-tapping metal screw. I don't think it will work any better than Dubovoy's rubber grommet, but the thickness is just about perfect so no cutting is necessary, and besides, I have a jar full of these in the barn. I lightly sanded one side of the rubber washer to facilitate better adhesion. I am concerned how well this will hold up over the long run, but it will be easy enough to reattach if necessary. I'll have visible glue residue once Sony comes up with a firmware fix and the washer is removed, but I can live with the resulting cosmetic blemish.

The first image shows both sides of the 3M masking tape with the washer in position. A hole has been punched in the tape to allow for visualizing accurate placement of the washer over the video button. I made the mistake of not punching this hole in my first attempt and ended up having to start over with a second effort.

At this point, the glue of choice is applied to the rubber washer and then secured into place onto the camera as demonstrated in the second image. Not shown is the extra tape applied for better compression. I then let everything set overnight.

Mark Dubovoy, thank you for crafting this solution! Best of luck to all of you NEX-7 users!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 11:35:57 am by jgbowerman »

mysticcowboy

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »

Thanks for the redneck fix. It took a little more trimming to make this work on my NEX-5n, but it does work.

kentep01

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 10:00:16 pm »

Mark, a real Redneck would not have color matched the washer

tanvach

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:49:44 am »

One solution I suggest is Sugru (http://sugru.com/), it's a pliable coloured silicone that sets into any shape with a consistency of rubber. I've personally used it a few times and it's quite adhering. You can then make a strong and ecstatically pleasing guard for the button.

douglasf13

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 03:45:42 pm »

One solution I suggest is Sugru (http://sugru.com/), it's a pliable coloured silicone that sets into any shape with a consistency of rubber. I've personally used it a few times and it's quite adhering. You can then make a strong and ecstatically pleasing guard for the button.

Ah, I forgot about Sugru. I bet that'd be perfect!

howgus

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 05:40:02 pm »

A real genuine redneck fix:  glue the grommet to your right thumb!  That way you won't leave any residual glue on the camera when the firmware fix finally arrives.  Although by then the glue will probably have oxidized away.  I hope Sony realizes the depths their neglect has taken us photographers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up