Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Glossy Enhancer are the same or not?  (Read 2327 times)

aaronchan

Glossy Enhancer are the same or not?
« on: May 15, 2012, 11:51:20 am »

Dear all,

My question is quite odd but I just want to know if the Gloss Enhancer on HP Z3200 are the same as the one could bought under inkjetmall?
I'm currently thinking of getting a cheap used thermal head printer and load the GO to all the cartridges, use a RIP to provide a super fast GO overprint to all of my glossy prints.
I've asked Jon Cone but seems like he never tested it out. But if they share the same structure, then I am pretty sure I can use it on either piezo head or thermal head.

Thanks
Aaron

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Glossy Enhancer are the same or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:02:42 pm »

Aaron, instead of a printer dedicated to "GO" application, why not consider a dedicated B&W piezography MPS (glossy) printer from Jon Cone's InkjetMall?  It gives you a bit more flexibility with that printer, so instead of only a "GO printer" you get a great B&W printer with GO and a "GO printer."

I converted my old 9800 to a B&W K7 Piezography MPS selenium inkset, with GO.  It's the second half of the B&W equation that requires the gloss overcoat in a "second printing" that makes these B&W prints really outstanding.  A "GO curve" for GO only is applied through QTR.  Great B&W prints, just a bit better magic than what I can get out of my 9900.  The K7 conversion process can be a bit nerve-wracking, but once converted is outstanding.

Now the interesting part:  I can take prints from my 9900----and run them through the 9800 applying only the gloss overcoat (GO).  Yeah, it opens up some possibilities....   :)

ken

aaronchan

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:09:31 pm »

Dear Ken,

I do have a 7880 running the Warmtone K7 with both PK and MK shade 1 installed.
And am currently using the HP Z3200 to overprint my Glossy print from it.
But due to the speed of the Z3200, and theoretically, If I use a standalone printer to the the second GO pass,
My speed will be kicked up ALOT. Which means I can even do a second GO pass on all of my glossy prints.

Aaron

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 03:29:18 pm »

Check in the Aardenburg-Imaging test result PDFs the differences of gloss enhancers in the paper white shifts. Yesterday I selected the Crane Museo Silver Rag tests. Without gloss enhancer the paper white is very consistent in time (several tests, all similar), with the Z3100 gloss enhancer it goes well too, with Cone's gloss optimizer the paper white shifts to a cooler white in time. The Silver Rag tests do not have a MIS gloss enhancer test included but I think gloss enhancers can influence the paper white consistency in time and not in a positive way. There are differences between them and it is hard to say what paper/gloss enhancer combinations are compatible. On the other hand protective sprays always seem to improve the paper white consistency in time + the colors fade resistance.

I would not use a piëzohead compatible GE in a thermal head printer. For mixing a quad ink set for thermal heads I used a OCP gloss enhancer for Kodak thermal head printers + Vivera PK. But I can not make any statement how that ink will behave in time on the paper. In the printer there are no issues at all.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

Light Seeker

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 05:29:27 pm »

To add another twist to what Ernst has said, and simply as an fyi. . . . .

I have been experimenting with dilute HP and Canon ink sets and either mixing, or coating prints, using MIS' gloss optimizer product. GO warms the print tonality, especially the a* value. This I assume, is why Cone Selenium always looked so "brown" on glossy media to me. I get the same warmth when I use GO to dilute HP's PK, which is actually a cool ink to start.

Gloss optimizer appears not to be truly "transparent".

Terry.

aaronchan

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 04:57:03 am »

Check in the Aardenburg-Imaging test result PDFs the differences of gloss enhancers in the paper white shifts. Yesterday I selected the Crane Museo Silver Rag tests. Without gloss enhancer the paper white is very consistent in time (several tests, all similar), with the Z3100 gloss enhancer it goes well too, with Cone's gloss optimizer the paper white shifts to a cooler white in time. The Silver Rag tests do not have a MIS gloss enhancer test included but I think gloss enhancers can influence the paper white consistency in time and not in a positive way. There are differences between them and it is hard to say what paper/gloss enhancer combinations are compatible. On the other hand protective sprays always seem to improve the paper white consistency in time + the colors fade resistance.

I would not use a piëzohead compatible GE in a thermal head printer. For mixing a quad ink set for thermal heads I used a OCP gloss enhancer for Kodak thermal head printers + Vivera PK. But I can not make any statement how that ink will behave in time on the paper. In the printer there are no issues at all.

--
Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

340+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
update april 2012: Harman by Hahnemühle, Innova IFA45 and more

Dear Ernst,

Thanks Ernst,
I think I will do some research on the OCP GO since they have the KGO which seems to specified to use on thermal print head.

Thanks
aaron
Pages: [1]   Go Up