Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie: Epson 1400 - developed lines that won't go away  (Read 1352 times)

NancyP

Complete newbie needs help troubleshooting.

I uncrated and set up the printer with original ink cartridges a week ago, printed, got some test material and some test prints the day after, with good results. I turned it off, and came back to it to print this weekend (6 day gap in use). The prints (on Epson premium glossy 4 x 6) had inappropriate thin lines perpendicular to the paper travel axis (ie, parallel to short side of paper). There was a distinct dark line ~ 1" from one end, a distinct light line ~3/4" from the other end. I tried just printing a few 4x6s to see if the behavior would continue, which it did. Then I did the nozzle check pattern, which was perfect. A subsequent print still had the lines, so I cleaned the nozzle and produced another nozzle check pattern, again perfect. Lines still there on subsequent print. Then I did the head alignment routine, got values of 5,5, and 6, changed the third value to 5. Subsequent print still has the lines problem. Furthermore, I noticed that there was a tendency to show ? head width (~ 3/4") very subtle intensity bands that were noticeable only in sky at first (before head alignment) but became obvious at ordinary viewing distance in all situations after the head alignment). I had been printing relatively low-res scans in jpg format, with minimal adjustments other than cropping. I tried printing high-res scan and original high-quality jpg, thinking that there might be an issue with resizing a low-res scan, but the high-quality jpg and high-res scan had similar line and band problems.

I don't know what the humidity was, but it wasn't less than 20% or greater than 80%. Temperature 75 d F.
Could the thin lines be due to dust? If so, how do I dislodge the dust particle?
The wide banding seems to be intensified by my minor change in head alignment but that isn't the whole story.

Richowens

Re: Newbie: Epson 1400 - developed lines that won't go away
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 11:46:21 am »

New printer, call Epson.

Rich

NancyP

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 10:13:52 am »

my d'oh! problem apparently solved.

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:16:16 am »

my d'oh! problem apparently solved.

I occasionally have the same problem, but only occasionally, with, when it occurs, none of the steps you took also not apparently solving the matter.  What did you finally do?
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:19:07 pm »

I hadn't known where to find the speed vs. quality adjustment, and where to find the paper type adjustment. A screenshot from the Epson troubleshooting website gave me a hint where to find these adjustments. I found the two items and changed them - default had been "fastest", I changed to "slowest" (not all that slow, really), and "plain paper", I changed to "premium glossy". The lines went away, and the color improved greatly, with test print including blue sky along long edge (ideal for detection of the lines). I suspect that the speed had a lot to do with the problem.

As I said, I am a rank newbie. I don't know how to diagnose specific appearances of printer malfunction in actual prints.

On one of the other recent "where printer head failures come from" threads, there was an example of a "cleaning file", basically an artificial image of banded colors and gradients designed to give all the nozzles a workout. The commenter prints an 8 x 10 of the cleaning file once a week if the printer is not in daily use. Apparently there is even an utility that will print the file on a schedule, so the printer is given a workout even while you are on vacation. There were a number of comments about humidity and temperature.

JimAscher

• Jim Ascher Photos
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 03:08:02 pm »

Nancy:  Thanks.  Something(s) for me to think about. Jim
Jim Ascher

See my SmugMug site:
http://jimascherphotos.smugmug.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up