Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Image MANAGERS...iMatch, IDIMager, Extensis Portfolio?  (Read 41679 times)

Phil Indeblanc

Image MANAGERS...iMatch, IDIMager, Extensis Portfolio?
« on: May 14, 2012, 01:43:57 am »

Which of these would you recommend for a small studio. Files will not be accessed at the same time from different locations. But they will be accessed from different systems at different given times.

I look for all the export features LR has...Basically would like all of what LR has, except I like having a "File Manager" view. I really like ACDSee, but it has issues with stability Metadata, and it is also trying to be a developer with less focus on Managing.  Any expereicnes with the ones mentioned in the subject line?  I am firmly not interested in cloud "sollutions", or enterprise options that run much more than a few hundred dollars.

I hope something in the $100 to $250 per 2 licenses will solve things.
If you buy a camera, you're a photographer...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: Image MANAGERS...iMatch, IDIMager, Extensis Portfolio?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 04:05:40 am »

Did you try that AnyFile plugin for Lightroom?

I used Portfolio 7-8 years ago and it has some qualities (Aperture 1 shamelessly copied many of them). With a DNG workflow, you see the updated preview. Its handling of xmp metadata is as good as you'll find - you can map any field to an xmp address - and you can set up custom fields and define the type of data they contain. It has user level permissions, which is handy in small studios but also hints at what you may find is also a problem - it's increasingly oriented towards the corporate customer and any updates will suit their needs. The trouble is, there's no money to be made in standalone DAM programs for the little guy.

iMatch is powerful and is loved by its fans. It has an interface only its mother could love, but it scripting engine is wonderful. Otherwise I hardly know it.

John

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 02:19:02 am »

Hi John, I did, and it didn't work as I think I have another PDF/Acrobat Win764bit issue that seams like UNRESOLVABLE. lots of folks are able to resolve it from some work arounds, but I still have not even after doing a 64bit Fix tool, as the tool didn't find the registry entries for Acro Reader.

Even so, I notice it creates a jpeg of the PDF and then has the AF logo large over the thumbs. Also it by defgault turns the filters on LR and all else is hidden until I select No Filters.

It makes it a bit annoying, besides I really think LR is the wrong way to manage files, since it lacks a browser, How does one know whats in a folder?

Also the Plugin doesn't see indd/InDesign files either, so.... :-\

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 02:20:58 am »

ACDSee is almost perfect...It just doesn't have support for IIQ Phase One files, and the single Database is a bit wonky at times. no network support and some other workable short comings.

tingyat

• Rogan Coles Photo Archive
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 01:56:26 pm »

Hi Phil,

Just to say that I've paid for IDimager and have been "trying to use it" - this since version 3. I sort of live in hope of getting IDimager to work in the manner in which it was intended. But, and alas, IDimager never quite seems to get there.

Let's just say that, while IDimager - for all its potential - looks good on paper, it never seems to quite crack it for me. IDimager somehow always seems to falls short in realising this potential and this by a long chalk.

While there's meant to be a major release on the way - which includes being ported to the the Apple platform - IDimager is currently a 32-bit app, meaning to say that it has memory management issues. Even in version 5, IDimager is inherently unstable and erratic. Whenever I use IDimager, I frequently get "Not Responding" messages. While not quite "hanging", it stalls every now and then. The best one can do here is to just wait it out. IDimager can take longs hours to "ingest" a couple of 100 images - meaning to say it is "slow". There also seems to be this continual need to run and re-run image update cycles. In the process thumbnail images appear and disappear, thus necessitating another round of image updates.

There also seems to issues with writing and managing metadata to images within IDimager. While the issue may not always be with IDimager - as in Adobe moving and shifting the goal posts in this respect - it seems to make a monkey of one's efforts in this regard.  

As I say, on paper, IDimager looks good. It exudes potential and I live in hope that it gets to work as its creator and supporters intend it to. In all this time I've lived through a patchwork of updates and, through all of this, I'm still waiting for the day where I can use IDimager with any confidence. I currently have just over 10,000 images in the IDimager database - and, I'm waiting

So currently, I now rely on Windows File Manager and Bridge to manage my archive. I use the File Manager to set up my file structure - this on local and external hard drives. I use Bridge to ingest, rename and apply basic metadata to my images and thereafter, to "look into" the image folders.  

Just recently I've had some issues using Bridge CS6 - as in Bridge erroneously overwriting EXIF data.

So, like yourself, I too am on the lookout for an effectively solution that's not going to cost an arm and a leg.

Cheers - Rogan

alain

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 06:33:56 pm »

Hi Phil,

Just to say that I've paid for IDimager and have been "trying to use it" - this since version 3. I sort of live in hope of getting IDimager to work in the manner in which it was intended. But, and alas, IDimager never quite seems to get there.

Let's just say that, while IDimager - for all its potential - looks good on paper, it never seems to quite crack it for me. IDimager somehow always seems to falls short in realising this potential and this by a long chalk.

While there's meant to be a major release on the way - which includes being ported to the the Apple platform - IDimager is currently a 32-bit app, meaning to say that it has memory management issues. Even in version 5, IDimager is inherently unstable and erratic. Whenever I use IDimager, I frequently get "Not Responding" messages. While not quite "hanging", it stalls every now and then. The best one can do here is to just wait it out. IDimager can take longs hours to "ingest" a couple of 100 images - meaning to say it is "slow". There also seems to be this continual need to run and re-run image update cycles. In the process thumbnail images appear and disappear, thus necessitating another round of image updates.

There also seems to issues with writing and managing metadata to images within IDimager. While the issue may not always be with IDimager - as in Adobe moving and shifting the goal posts in this respect - it seems to make a monkey of one's efforts in this regard.  

As I say, on paper, IDimager looks good. It exudes potential and I live in hope that it gets to work as its creator and supporters intend it to. In all this time I've lived through a patchwork of updates and, through all of this, I'm still waiting for the day where I can use IDimager with any confidence. I currently have just over 10,000 images in the IDimager database - and, I'm waiting

So currently, I now rely on Windows File Manager and Bridge to manage my archive. I use the File Manager to set up my file structure - this on local and external hard drives. I use Bridge to ingest, rename and apply basic metadata to my images and thereafter, to "look into" the image folders.  

Just recently I've had some issues using Bridge CS6 - as in Bridge erroneously overwriting EXIF data.

So, like yourself, I too am on the lookout for an effectively solution that's not going to cost an arm and a leg.

Cheers - Rogan

While IdImager has a learning curve, I don't have technical instability problems with it for a long while.

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 09:59:03 pm »

Thanks for the feedback Rogan and Alain,

I am running the 30 day test trial for IDImager now(5th day), and it hung-up/crashed on me once so far, and I hardly gave it anything to eat. Maybe 400; some large images. Could have been a 1-off thing?

I had a couple questions I posted on their forum, and I did get rather fast response, and the links they posted helped me resolve a PDF file type issue.

If you get a chance Rogan, I would give ACDSee a try. their core was a Manager, they recently added RAW dev support(frankly the EQ lighting on the dev side is rather nice), but nothing like LR, or C1). Its more "cool", than "lets start making beautiful work".

I like a number of things about IDI, though the GUI is a bit odd in one respect I noticed........In the thumbnail window, folders shows with a thumbnail of whats inside each folder, handy, but it isn't distinctive with a fade, or someway to recognize it different from a file....even though it shows the folder icon below it. There should be another level of distinction, as I keep making the mistake of clicking it. (Maybe from my newbie stand point?)
Also (perhaps there is, but not listed), a shortcut to have the preview window Open/Close. I use dual screen and switching from apps, it makes sense to have this window at times close out with a KB stroke.
I will be splitting up my databases, and  hope this helps it perform better.

One other thing, I wish it would separate itself and support other image files like it does for PDF...I also see Ai(illustrator) files, which is great (perhaps thanks to FStone WIC?).
I would love to see InDesign files, but I guess I can live without.

You mention of stability concerns me, and I know very well what you mean about almost getting it working as they intend....As ACDSee for some time was the same..it still CANNOT see IIQ files, the colors are off specially in CMYK, and the database is limited along with Metadata not so well nicely done. You can't copy the Meta of a file and make that a preset...etc.

Maybe I will stick it out a bit and see if Media Pro has something in the next release, its been some time now.

IDI Pro version is on sale for about $79 when you have proof of purchase of a leading competitor...Which sounds like a good deal....
 BUT, So far I have ACDSee Pro, Media Pro, and if you want to count LR.

....The time invested in the app without the results is a pain in itself. So I find it hard to throw more money at something if I'm going to feel the way you do Rogan.  If the Metadata is the only thing bothering you, while I can see if you rely on it for your workflow, I might be OK with leaving that for LR to deal with.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:03:09 am by Phil Indeblanc »

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 11:58:35 am »

I just did a test run with Extensis Portfolio 8.5 it maybe...
It looks rather powerful and customizable, BUT a couple MAJOR draw backs....

1. No Preview window that can be off the main interface. meaning you either see thumbnails or the 1 image preview. That right there is a time hog

2. No Browser window. This is almost a Must...Unless you approach things as Media Pro does using terms as a multi level viewing option (It makes distinctions clearly and additively, with "Terms" on the left column).
Users can't have an organized way of displaying files based only on what the catalog ingests. MediaPro will automatically update/Or Sync the folders in the catalog, as it knows you WILL at some point change content from a different app (Save As, Explorer,etc).

Another example of why a Browser in integral:
You have your RAW files in a folder titled X, then within that you have your output, PSD, "work file", or selects, etc. The keepers in RAW or PSD. Then under X you have JPEG, or email files, or preview, test, etc. and     another folder under X You have Finals, or Submits,or Finish. This way you don't see a bunch of the same files or different stages of them. This way NO MATTER the program, you don't rely on ratings and keywords. Besides you can use those tools for each folder you already have organized. You don't need to keep switching this Filter to hide these files, and then another and have the others hide. It just isn't that smooth or Logical, nor does it allow you to see based past a rating/color criteria.
A Browser is PRICELESS and a integral part of any DAM
. If it doesn't have one, you should think hard about it. Do you have a lot of files? Is this your profession? Do you really think 1 program is ALL you will rely on for interacting with files for decades to come? Why not take control of them, rather than have the program limit your way about it. So far IDIMager, ACDSee, Media Pro (even CaptureOne which is not a DAM see know the importance).

3. No IIQ support

So Extensis Portfolio is out of my consideration options.

So far I'm left with:

IDIMager, ACDSee Pro, Media Pro
On the plus side, you can add any type of file extension and it will try and create a thumbnail for it.

I'm interested in hearing back from more of you, on how you deal with lots of files, and perhaps more than RAW and PSD files. Something that helps you get a true handle on things. Or if you are in the same situation and can list your gripes with the manager you use.

Thanks

Murat Korkmazov

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2012, 04:39:17 am »

Hi Phil,

My name is Murat Korkmazov, I am co-founder of Daminion Software.

I don't know whether you found a solution for your answer. But I would like to suggest you to check out our Daminion.
(the single-user version of program is free).

Daminion like most of the modern photo managers doesn't provide a "real-time" folder browser. But the folder tree will be available after importing images.

Some Daminion benefits above other photo managers that you mentioned above:

- True multi-user access
- It completely focus on image cataloging.  Daminion doesn't have any built-in image editor, but can use any external image editors.
- Automatic syncing of tags with metadata according to XMP/MWG specifications
- Daminion can (optionally) write tags into the Camera RAW files
- Version control
- Standalone version is free
- Supports many other formats except images like videos, PDF, audio, Adobe Indesign, etc...

BTW, Phil, what's your image library size? How many files do you intend to import every year? And what formats?

We have a lot of users who intensively use Daminion to manage their image libraries with a large number of images (>500k).

PS. Michael, Chris, hope this post will not be qualified as spam.

SpiritShooter

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »

I didn't see a Mac Version of Daminion, is this correct?

Murat Korkmazov

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 02:56:43 am »

SpiritShooter, you are right - Mac version is not available yet. We'll consider to port the program to Mac platform after releasing a Daminion version with Custom Tags (almost done) and User Roles support.

BTW I seen a few screenshots from our customers who launched Daminion on their Macs via Parallels Desktop.

jrp

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 02:31:20 pm »

What advantages does Daminion have over Lightroom, say?

Murat Korkmazov

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 03:37:25 am »

- Daminion has a server version that allows to create a centralized photo archive library. And this is a True multi-user solution.
- Controls access to media content by user roles (in dev. process)
- Daminion is a pure photo manager software without built-in image editing capabilities. If someone prefers to use different programs for cataloging and editing he might considers Daminion for the first point.
- Version Control
- Custom Tags
- Multiple catalogs can be opened simultaneously as web-browser pages. Photos can easily be moved between catalogs
- All information about media files in Daminion is described by tags. Tags are automatically synced with file metadata without user interference. You work with a small set of tags (~20-30), do your primary job and don’t have to worry about metadata.
- Advanced Search enable s you to locate assets with virtually any set of query parameters (more than 100 properties) in conjunction with boolean And/Or operations and a set of conditions like: "Contains", "Starts with", "Matches", etc.
- Saved Searches. Think of it as dynamic collections. Any time a picture with particular properties appears in the catalog, the collection will automatically grow, and you can view it with a single mouse click. Not sure if the latest LR version has the same feature
- Support for hierarchical tags, with no limitation on nesting levels: categories, people, place, keywords, event… with Lightroom you’re limited to hierarchical keywords only
- Besides Photo and Video formats, Daminion supports PDF, BMP, PSD, PNG, GIF, and Audio formats. Vector and Office format support will be added soon.

The latest Daminion test versions are always available on our forum.

Murat Korkmazov

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2012, 10:03:17 am »

Hi there!

Just wanted to say that we released a new Daminion 0.9.6 version with more than 20 improvements, including:
- User Defined Tags
- Added support for PhaseONE and Hasselblad RAW images
- Improved image viewing (previewing full screen images now faster up to 2-3 times)
- New Localizations (German, French and Polish)
- Improved Color Management
- Improved support for Camera RAW files with .xmp sidecars
More info on our blog

Phil Indeblanc

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2012, 03:57:25 pm »

Hi Phil,

My name is Murat Korkmazov, I am co-founder of Daminion Software.

I don't know whether you found a solution for your answer. But I would like to suggest you to check out our Daminion.
(the single-user version of program is free).

Daminion like most of the modern photo managers doesn't provide a "real-time" folder browser. But the folder tree will be available after importing images.

Some Daminion benefits above other photo managers that you mentioned above:

- True multi-user access
- It completely focus on image cataloging.  Daminion doesn't have any built-in image editor, but can use any external image editors.
- Automatic syncing of tags with metadata according to XMP/MWG specifications
- Daminion can (optionally) write tags into the Camera RAW files
- Version control
- Standalone version is free
- Supports many other formats except images like videos, PDF, audio, Adobe Indesign, etc...

BTW, Phil, what's your image library size? How many files do you intend to import every year? And what formats?

We have a lot of users who intensively use Daminion to manage their image libraries with a large number of images (>500k).

PS. Michael, Chris, hope this post will not be qualified as spam.

Hi Murat,

I have 5 main servers that have about 8TB of data. I don't know the yearly growth, but I would say 1-2TB a year?

I like what I read about Daminion. I don't know how you can use it to make derivities with watermakr, and then a print feature for contact sheets is nice. These are the strengths and uses I have with ACDSee.

I have been working with imaging for over 20 years. I've tried so many applications, so I don't mind trying yours. I will give it a try.

BUT, I do hear some limits off the bat....for my use as making emailable Jpegs or post to web is really something I find handy ONLY when it is designed with a user freindly GUI.
I caution this as I tried MediaPro and it is choppy and uses another nav window tool to see....Just slower, harder and not so  "visual" driven of an interface.  ACDSee is more intuitive and a bit easy to navigate and get to the end result you are looking for WITHOUT the hic-ups blips and overall choppy performance(using one tool while the other it just doesn't all mesh well), besides simply not working consistent.

As far as a "real time" folder browser, I think this maybe a big issue.  The point of ingestion is good when 1 software does it, the cataloging software. If you can't be "on the ball", and evaluate your assets...search through what you already have and browse different folders to select what you want to import..... where you want them  (say images on a server). It is a VERY limiting. I think that is the problem with LightRoom(besides it ONLY supports 3 file formats and RAW). So it is a terrible DAM.

Why not support PDF (using ghost script if you have to), and InDesign, (PNG is important for web dev derivatives).  If you can't see that there is a unrecognized file, there should be at least an Icon giving you an indication that there IS A FILE.

This all is directly related on how you design your Folder structure.  Anyway, I can go on.

I like placing my personal images on a different server than my commercial work which go to another server.  I wish I can direct the placement without having to wait for one process to finish before I for example move my Stock images to a server. I don't see any DAMs or the like do this yet.

Murat Korkmazov

« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 03:22:24 am »

I have 5 main servers that have about 8TB of data. I don't know the yearly growth, but I would say 1-2TB a year?

I like what I read about Daminion. I don't know how you can use it to make derivatives with watermakr, and then a print feature for contact sheets is nice. These are the strengths and uses I have with ACDSee.

Daminion allows exporting images with a various presets, like JPEG 2000px or TIFF (Original Size). And we plan to add a Watermark Editor and options to reduce (configure) metadata in output images.

I have been working with imaging for over 20 years. I've tried so many applications, so I don't mind trying yours. I will give it a try.
BUT, I do hear some limits off the bat....for my use as making emailable Jpegs or post to web is really something I find handy ONLY when it is designed with a user freindly GUI.
I caution this as I tried MediaPro and it is choppy and uses another nav window tool to see....Just slower, harder and not so  "visual" driven of an interface.  ACDSee is more intuitive and a bit easy to navigate and get to the end result you are looking for WITHOUT the hic-ups blips and overall choppy performance(using one tool while the other it just doesn't all mesh well), besides simply not working consistent.

Hope you like it and will stay with us for another 20 years ;)
BTW we plan to a feature share picture on your web-site or mobile devices (iPhone, iPad, Android based devices with a single mouse click)

As far as a "real time" folder browser, I think this maybe a big issue.  The point of ingestion is good when 1 software does it, the cataloging software. If you can't be "on the ball", and evaluate your assets...search through what you already have and browse different folders to select what you want to import..... where you want them  (say images on a server). It is a VERY limiting. I think that is the problem with LightRoom(besides it ONLY supports 3 file formats and RAW). So it is a terrible DAM.
Why not support PDF (using ghost script if you have to), and InDesign, (PNG is important for web dev derivatives).  If you can't see that there is a unrecognized file, there should be at least an Icon giving you an indication that there IS A FILE.
This all is directly related on how you design your Folder structure.  Anyway, I can go on.

Improving File/Folder Manager is #2 point in a list of our user requests (after User Roles). And Daminion supports more than 80 media formats, including Camera RAW formats, Vector Formats, Audio, Video, InDesign, PDF. And support for MS Office formats was added on the latest 0.9.7.

I like placing my personal images on a different server than my commercial work which go to another server.  I wish I can direct the placement without having to wait for one process to finish before I for example move my Stock images to a server. I don't see any DAMs or the like do this yet.

You can install Daminion Server on multiple computers and access them from a single Daminion client interface (each server catalog will be open on a separate page). And exporting process on one PC will not affects to the importing on another PC. Daminion Client will show you the progress in each shared catalogs.

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 02:11:43 pm »

Hi Murat
Can you advise when Daminion will be available, natively, for Macs?
Roger
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

Murat Korkmazov

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2013, 03:09:27 am »

Hi Roger,

Sorry for the delay with answer. Our road-map for 2013 doesn't include porting of Daminion to the Mac platform.

But we plan to add an option to share images (and other media formats) to Mac, tablet, mobile devices soon (only viewing, without an ability to annotate and edit them)

Pages: [1]   Go Up