Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 upgrade questions  (Read 3052 times)

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
LR4 upgrade questions
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:12:44 pm »

I purchased the LR4 upgrade to LR3.6 when it came out but have not installed it on my main PC (which has my main catalog) because of all the issues that were noted with LR 4.0.  So I waited.  My understanding is that the original problems associated with importing LR3 catalogs into LR 4.0 have been addressed with the 4.1 RCs.

I did load LR 4.0 onto my laptop as that is only used when I am traveling as a temporary repository for photos which get transferred to the PC, so there wasn't anything on the laptop I was worried about corrupting.  I upgraded the version 4.0 today to 4.1 RC 2.  I have noticed that the "Lightroom registration" selection (under Help pull-down menu) is now greyed out on the laptop version of 4.1 RC2 which overwrote my registered version of 4.0.  Is that because the RC are beta's and anyone can run them w/o a license?

Going back to my main PC installation (LR3.6), what is the correct process when installing LR4.1RC2 to import/upgrade my LR3.6 catalogue (and will my LR3.6 also remain afterwards just in case?)..  It may be a no-brainer exercise, but I'd appreciate explicit step-by-step instructions (or link to a good set of instructions). I have the LR4 video collection and don't see any segment in the TOC that goes through the LR3 to LR4 upgrade process.

Thanks
[size=12p

john beardsworth

• My photography site
Re: LR4 upgrade questions
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:24:27 pm »

To upgrade the LR3 catalogue, open LR4 and use File > Open Catalog. Point to the LR3 catalogue and follow the instructions about upgrading. LR4 makes a copy of this catalogue and the copy becomes your LR4 catalogue - the LR3 one is left untouched.

I suspect the beta status is behind the registration issue.

John
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:49:11 pm by johnbeardy »

AndrewKulin

• http://www.andrewkulin.com
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 07:48:11 am »

Thank you John - that's all I needed to know and it worked out fine.
[size=12p

trops

• http://www.giatropoulos.com
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 04:41:55 pm »

Assuming that one upgrades from 3.6 using the release candidate 4.1 RC2, what would be the steps to upgrade to the final release of 4.1?
Any cautions/pitfalls to be aware of?
(I have LR4 on DVD but haven't installed yet because of the known problems with 4.0.)
John

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 11:01:26 pm »

Not sure what "issues" you are referring to. I upgraded from v3.6 to v4.0 on day one and had no catalogue issues at all.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 03:05:52 am »

Assuming that one upgrades from 3.6 using the release candidate 4.1 RC2, what would be the steps to upgrade to the final release of 4.1?
Any cautions/pitfalls to be aware of?
(I have LR4 on DVD but haven't installed yet because of the known problems with 4.0.)
John

John: When LR 4.1 is available, it will install over LR 4.1RC2 and use your current LR4 catalog(s).  Your LR3.x catalogs will remain untouched.  LR4 does require more resources than LR3.x so if you're using an older machine it may appear sluggish.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t
Pages: [1]   Go Up