Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: will D800/E take Canon lenses?  (Read 3142 times)

stewarthemley

will D800/E take Canon lenses?
« on: May 09, 2012, 12:54:17 pm »

Obviously, I realise an adapter might be required!

I have the mk2 Canon TSE 24 and 17 and they are fantastic performers, apparently noticeably better than the Nikon equivalents. So is there an adapter that would allow me to use these great lenses on the D800/E? I've searched quite a few dealers but haven't located one yet. Thanks in advance.

JohnTodd

Re: will D800/E take Canon lenses?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:59:12 pm »

Stewart,

Unless anyone else knows better, no. Nikon has one of the longest register distances and narrowest mounts in 35mm, and Canon one of the shortest and widest, so a Canon lens won't come close to being adaptable. It's why you see so very, very many more other-mount -> Canon adaptors.

MrSmith

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »

no. otherwise i would have ordered an 800e, it's going to cost me too much to swap and the nikon equivalents of the 24 and 90 ts-e are not as good (the 45 is better) so i'm staying put.

Glenn NK

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 02:31:01 pm »

The register distance for Nikon lenses (F1 bayonet) is 46.5 mm, while the RD for all Canon EOS lenses is 44.0 mm.  The RD tables I have indicate that Nikon F1 bayonet lenses have the largest RD of the common SLR systems (Nikon, Pentax, Konica-Minolta, Canon, Olympus 4/3).

To get infinity focus would require an adapter with optics.  Apart from image degradation, there could be problems with the shift function.

Glenn
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

stewarthemley

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »

Thanks for the replies, guys. Not what I wanted to hear, but what I expected to hear.

So now I, and I suspect a f ew others, have to decide: do I change systems (yet again!), run two systems ( not easy shooting with different systems at the same time, with my limited brain), wait for Canon to bring out their response? Etc, etc.

Sometimes think the good old film days had their good points...

stevesanacore

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 01:49:13 pm »

There are many companies in the motion picture business that rehouse lenses and mounts all the time. Maybe this new Nikon will create enough demand for them to modify the Canon shift lenses to Nikon mount. Although I'm sure it won't be a cheap option. It would be nice if Zeiss came out with some tilt-shift lenses with changeable mounts like their CP2 lenses have. Then we use whatever brand body we want and use the same lenses, like we do in the movie business.
We don't know what we don't know.

RazorTM

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/razortm/
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 04:25:21 pm »

If it's possible to shorten the mount by 2.5mm and convert it to a Nikon mount and use a chip to enable automatic aperture, then someone please do it.  I know those D800 shooters would pay quite a bit of money for a Canon 24 and 17 that they could use.

FMueller

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 08:50:06 pm »

Not trying to sound snarky but....

I buy cameras to fit my lenses, not the other way around. Cameras come and go but lenses stay around for a long time....

If it's possible to shorten the mount by 2.5mm and convert it to a Nikon mount and use a chip to enable automatic aperture, then someone please do it.  I know those D800 shooters would pay quite a bit of money for a Canon 24 and 17 that they could use.

stewarthemley

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06:02 am »

I find camera and lens to be of equal importance in the overall chain. In the days of film, I don't think that was the case. Then, the type of film and how you processed it was more important than camera body, usually, but these days it is a fact that sensors, the new film, play a major part.

Also, lenses do get upgraded. The Canon 17 and 24 TSE mk2 lenses are a significant improvement over the originals so it's not always wise to hang on to lenses.

But, I don't think it makes sense to swap camera systems unless one or two items are of critical importance.

oolic

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 10:28:06 am »

The main problem is the lack of an aperture ring on the Canon. Maybe a chip would allow Nikon to control electronically the Canon iris but I doubt it. then comes the machining of the adapter ring that would have to be held to very tight tolerance in order to achieve even field focus. That is if the canon lens could indeed be cut back the required distance.
We can dream
Richard
Pages: [1]   Go Up