Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR4 guide - publish services  (Read 6255 times)

thebatman

LR4 guide - publish services
« on: May 06, 2012, 11:39:14 am »

Thanks Michael and Jeff for including the chapter on using publish services for ipad export.  Thanks to Chris as well for the "super" about ipad3 resolution.  I think I got it: the previous suggestion was short-edge at 1536 pixels, which was double the ipad2's short edge resolution of 768 pixels, to allow for zooming.  The new ipad is 1536 pixels on the short edge, so double that would be 3072 pixels on the short edge. 

One additional thought - the video shows Jeff's resolution as 240ppi.  The new ipad is 264ppi, so I'm guessing that would be the optimal setting.

In addition, I find "smart" publish services very handy.  For example, I can set it up so my 5 star images automatically get published to the ipad, without even needing to drag the images to the publish service folder.

Lastly, one bug I don't think has been fixed in LR4: I've found that if I publish a group of photos, then rename some, the new names do not get updated in the publish folder when it is re-published.  This is a problem because iOS5 reverted to sorting pictures by name, not date.  So if I 5 star a picture with filename "00000001", it shows up first in order on the ipad, and even if later renamed to "2012_04_001", so that it should appear after other photos who are named by an earlier date, it still shows up first on the ipad because the filename is not updated when I re-publish the folder. (Hope that makes sense) I've looked around but can't see many discussions of this - just annoying I suppose, but wonder if anyone else has run into this.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: LR4 guide - publish services
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:05:38 pm »

The resolution does not matter so don't worry about that.

For the new iPad which I also have, I would suggest to set the resizing in the publish setup to width & hight 3072 and 3072 so that when you hold the iPad and turn it for the portrait sized ones to fill the screen then a double tap would zoom in the same as with landscape shaped photos. At least seems logical to me since otherwise you would get the short side 3072 and the long side 1.5 times larger for portrait (3072 x whatever the aspect ratio is of the photo published, so could be really large).

The sorting is another thing where using a sequence number will not work, I think. Think about it, if you inserted one picture as number 2 in a sequence of 500 pictures and they were ordered already 00001, 00002, etc. so now the old 00002 should become 00003 etc. Either Lightroom would have to rename all the files accordingly or regenerate all from 00002 and up. I found another solution for sorting in time sequence of capture, which is to generate a filename as <date>-<hour><minute><second>-<filename> and in this way the pictures will be sorted as I want in time sequence. However if you have a user order I don't see a way to do this unless you want to regenerate all pictures every time you have made a change.

I use to put all folders for the iPad under one super folder and in iTunes I just synchronise all pictures in that folder. Therefore every new folder I add in a new publish folder will automatically be included in the next synch to the iPad.

Btw. I think the new iPad is amazing for viewing photos! And Lightroom is a great way to organize what is to be seen on the iPad.

I use publish folders also for my Smugmug and Zenfolio pictures and again it is a great way to keep control over what is in each folder. One picture may go into 2 or 3 publish folders on the HD and two online folders as well. So if I change the editing of one picture (which happens from time to time) then I have to go to each publish folder to publish again. It would be nice (please Adobe listen) to have a way to (re)publish a picture in all publish folders by right clicking the image and select a publish all selection.

bluesplayer43

Re: LR4 guide - publish services (IPAD-3)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 12:05:34 pm »

I've only just downloaded the latest batch of Lightroom 4 videos, so haven't watched them all yet. However I did view Video 36_Publishservice.mov with interest as I have recently upgraded to an iPad-3 from the original iPad.

Shame Jeff's & Michaesl video is already out of date .. I wonder if they'd do an update to include the ipad-3?

I am left a little confused however, since Jeff clearly stated that iTunes will re-sample any images sent to the ipad (via iTunes) where the short edge dimension exceeds 1536 pixels. Funnily enough I'd always exported my jpegs at twice the screen resolution, but doing so was just coincidence. Is this re-sampling limit still true for the iPad-3 or have Apple updated iTunes to allow 3072 dimensioned images?

Lastly your comment about the "super" from Chris on the iPad-3 ... did I miss something .. what was this?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 12:10:09 pm »

I wrote about the new iPad (aka. iPad 3 although this is not the Apple name for it). It is 3072!

bluesplayer43

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 12:33:14 pm »

Yep, I realise that, but Jeff stated if your dimensions are larger than 1536, iTunes will re-sample your image .. something you do not want. Is this still true for the ipad-3 and itunes?

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 12:55:14 pm »

Yep, I realise that, but Jeff stated if your dimensions are larger than 1536, iTunes will re-sample your image .. something you do not want. Is this still true for the ipad-3 and itunes?

Sorry, but that is what I have posted now two times....

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
Re: LR4 guide - publish services (IPAD-3)
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 06:58:17 pm »

Lastly your comment about the "super" from Chris on the iPad-3 ... did I miss something ...

Yes, go back and look at it
Pages: [1]   Go Up