Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5D2 w/Nodal Ninja 3  (Read 1717 times)

desy

5D2 w/Nodal Ninja 3
« on: May 03, 2012, 09:39:13 pm »

Looking at buying a used Nodal Ninja 3 this weekend to use with my 5D2, hoping for input from anyone who has used this combination. I would like to verify that I'll be okay with this particular model pano head with my camera in regards to weight/size issues. I don't have an added grip and no plans to get one, and will be using it with fairly compact prime lenses.

Appreciate any input.

Tony Jay

Re: 5D2 w/Nodal Ninja 3
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 10:55:12 pm »

According to Nodal Ninja website the version 3 is for point-and-shoots and small DSLR's with no battery grip or quick-release plates attached.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Tony Jay

desy

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:27:09 pm »

Thanks for the reply. I should have mentioned in my o.p. that I checked out the website, and my reading of their reference to "smaller dslr" seems to include anything without an integrated or add on battery grip, but was thinking that the 5D may push the weight limit of smaller dslr, and wanting to make sure that this won't create any issues in practical usage.

OldRoy

• http://
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 03:19:52 pm »

I have an NN3. I originally bought it to use with a D200. I now use a D700 almost exclusively. My use of the NN3 is predominantly for VR 360 x 180 panos (with 10.5 FE/16mm AIS) however I have used it with bigger and heavier rectilinear lenses. It just about does the job however it is substantially under-engineered for either camera - contrary to what was implied when I originally purchased it. In fact this is very much a "production prototype" level of product with many design faults. I won't bother to list them unless you require it. On the other hand it's light and dismantles into an easily stowed item for travel.

The current model is the NN4, inexplicably named and introduced after its predecessor, the NN5... Both models look a lot better engineered. They certainly needed to be.
Roy

desy

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 11:18:34 pm »

Thanks, that's very helpful feedback. I've been meaning to buy a pano head for some time, but still not sure how extensively I'll end up using it, so given that I have an opportunity to buy the 3 used for a decent price, I may still go ahead and then look at upgrading to one of their new models somewhere down the road. I'm thinking I can probably sell the 3 for about what I paid for it at some point in the future if I want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up