Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Losing Edits/Keywords When Upgrading Lightroom?  (Read 1186 times)

CJL

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 96
    • http://www.imageswest.ca
Losing Edits/Keywords When Upgrading Lightroom?
« on: May 02, 2012, 02:24:20 pm »

I recently upgraded to LR4, and just like very other time I've upgraded, all of my previous edits and keywords have disappeared.  I'm getting tired of having to re-do all of this work every time Adobe makes a minor change to the software - am I doing something wrong, or does LR always delete this info when you install an upgrade?  ???
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:22:56 pm by CJL »
Logged

john beardsworth

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4756
    • My photography site
Re: Losing Edits/Keywords When Upgrading Lightroom?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 02:55:41 pm »

This should never happen, Cliff. Usually when you first open a new version of LR, it offers to upgrade the previous version's catalogue and so always keeps your keywords and other work.

So to resolve this, first open LR3 and go to Catalog Settings, General. This tells you exactly where your catalogue is stored.

Now close LR3, open LR4, and use File > Open Catalog to point to the above catalogue. LR will offer to upgrade it. Job done.

Once you're back on track, you really need to get the roles of catalogues clear in your own mind.

John

« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 03:39:08 pm by johnbeardy »
Logged

CJL

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 96
    • http://www.imageswest.ca
Re: Losing Edits/Keywords When Upgrading Lightroom?
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:49:11 pm »

Thanks, John.

I can't see any reason for ever having more than one catalogue... is there a simple way to prevent LR from always trying to create new ones?
Logged

john beardsworth

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4756
    • My photography site
Re: Losing Edits/Keywords When Upgrading Lightroom?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 05:36:23 pm »

Well, it doesn't create new catalogues on its own - you have to go File > New Catalog. But in general I agree that you only want one catalogue. However, upgrade is different because LR4 has to convert your LR3 catalogue into one in the LR4 format, while also leaving the old catalogue available to LR3, if you need to use it.

But going back, have you followed the steps I outlined?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:38:49 pm by johnbeardy »
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up