Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Output Sharpening in... Bridge/Export  (Read 10407 times)

ravel03

Output Sharpening in... Bridge/Export
« on: April 26, 2012, 05:51:32 pm »

Wouldn't it make a whole lot of sense to have the Output Sharpening built into ACR made available in the Bridge/Export panels. I find Output Sharpening with ACR of limited use since controlling the output size in pixels is rather convoluted. Meanwhile, Bridge/Export allows for image resizing option, but no output sharpening.

85% if the images I process are entirely done in ACR (probably more now with ACR7 and its unbelievable highlight recovery engine and new brush tools). Right now I'm forced to process all my images via Image Processor calling into a PS script that invokes Photokit Sharpener.

I know the Photokit Output Sharpening engine is built into ACR. Couldn't we invoke it directly from Bridge/Export once the image is resized?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 08:51:31 am by ravel03 »

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
Re: Output Sharpening in... Bridge/Export
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 09:45:09 pm »

I know the Photokit Output Sharpening engine is built into ACR. Couldn't we invoke it directly from Bridge/Export once the image is resized?

You'll have to take that up with Adobe...only ACR and LR use the PKS sharpening philosophy.

That's why I output from Lightroom.

rambler44

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 02:14:19 pm »

louoates

• Lou Oates Photography
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 04:31:53 pm »

I use Nik output sharpening exclusively and would highly recommend it.

ravel03

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 05:01:29 pm »

No need for NIK as I use Pixel Genius' Photokit Sharpener.

NIK would be of no help since instead of having an action invoking PKS, I'd have one invoking NIK. I'm trying to get away from the Bridge/Image-Processor/PS-Action process and leverage Adobe's native support for PKS.

I'm not sure if it's a question of licensing (maybe that's what Jeff alluded to in his reply) and that only ACR and Lightroom are licensed to use PKS, but if so, it'd be nice to have these rights extended to Bridge/Export as well. It makes sense to me.

I'm not sure that having PKS Output Sharpening built-into ACR workflow options to be particularly helpful given I don't have full control of my final output resolution.

Maybe it's just me...

Schewe

• http:www.schewephoto.com
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 05:26:59 pm »

I'm not sure if it's a question of licensing (maybe that's what Jeff alluded to in his reply) and that only ACR and Lightroom are licensed to use PKS, but if so, it'd be nice to have these rights extended to Bridge/Export as well. It makes sense to me.

Again, take that up with Adobe...

The output sharpening ended up in ACR because it was also put into Lightroom and the processing pipeline is the same. There's been "talk" about extending the PKS stuff outside of ACR/LR but nothing has happened. In the meantime, like I said, I use Lightroom which has a much more robust Export sizing capability to go along with the output sharpening–that one had hoped would extend to ACR, which has not happened yet.

ravel03

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 05:42:04 pm »

Your voice carries far more than mine when it comes to convince Adobe. That being said, I'll drop by their site and submit and enhancement request or something equivalent to this.

The fact that it was discussed is nice... The fact that it wasn't implemented tells me that there are better things to focus on... I'm OK with this.

Lightroom? I tried, I really tried. I just can't grasp the concept of Collection and end up using LR as an image browser... which it's not!

Maybe I'll just go and tune in your videos once more and... try again.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 07:03:26 pm »

Your voice carries far more than mine when it comes to convince Adobe. That being said, I'll drop by their site and submit and enhancement request or something equivalent to this.

That is always helpful. I suspect the team is looking for more and more useful input for the next versions.

I just can't grasp the concept of Collection and end up using LR as an image browser... which it's not!

Do you use iTunes? Think of a playlist. One song stored in that library, but the ability to have it show up in dozens of playlists you build. That’s all a collection is. A dumb collection. Smart Collections are way more useful. They build their content based on criteria you specify so once built, you sit back and watch what shows up in each ‘smart playlist’.

And no reason not to use LR as a browser as well.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".
Pages: [1]   Go Up