Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: CANON EOS 5D Mk III Firmware Update WARNING!  (Read 2559 times)

stefano

CANON EOS 5D Mk III Firmware Update WARNING!
« on: April 24, 2012, 07:51:43 pm »

I just had a very scary firmware update experience... I downloaded the new 1.1.2 firmware from canon, loaded it on a CF card and went about upgrading my new 5D MK III as I did many time before with my previous 5Ds. The camera froze completely, no display, no signs of life. removing battery and replacing (I know, desperate move) did not restore any functions.

For a moment, I panicked a little! :(

It turns out that I had a Eye-Fi card in the SD slot. I removed the SD card and the camera immediately came back to life, but was locked in a 'Loading' status, and unresponsive to the power switch or any other controls. I removed the battery again (I figure I am toast anyway), replaced the battery and the camera booted up normally... Deep sigh of relief!!!

I repeated the update procedure with the CF card alone (nothing in the SD slot) and all went as expected.

I do not know if this is a problem exclusive to eye-fi or an issue of having 2 memory cards installed, but it is definitely a bug and a scary one! If you are planning to update the firmware in your camera, I strongly suggest having only one card installed! Note that the instructions from Canon say you can use either a CF or SD card, but do not mention any issues having 2 cards in the camera while updating.

I will send this same message to Canon to ensure that they can warn their customers!

--Stefano

asf

• http://www.adamfriedberg.com
Re: CANON EOS 5D Mk III Firmware Update WARNING!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 08:22:42 pm »

I updated the firmware without problems with both cards in the camera

stefano

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 08:29:42 pm »

Good to know! It is probably specific to an Eye-Fi card then...

DaveCurtis

• http://www.magiclight.co.nz
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 05:50:11 am »

I updated mine successfully. I took the sd card out just to be sure  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up